Theia and aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
VERY interesting thread in the passive countermeasures section. Seems the FAA is making all aircraft move to a new transponder system, ADS-B. Apparently there used to be a detector that would pick up when a gummit aircraft was close (I'd never heard of it before.) So, and this I think will be a new, undiscussed possibility for the boys of Radenso -

Any possibility of being able to have Theia detect gummit aircraft? From what I read it would require an antenna that can pick up 978Mhz and 1090Mhz, and be able to decode the signal. From there, we'd just need to know the aircraft tail number for police aircraft. This info wouldn't change often because aircraft are expensive and long lasting and the registration number never changes, so once a police force had one they'd have it for years. The ADS-B is a locating system, so the aircraft would be broadcasting its location every 8 seconds while flying, so when the detector decides an aircraft is within the limits of traffic enforcement (below 2000FT, within 1 mile, kinda thing) then it gives an AIRCRAFT alert. The software wouldn't necessarily need to be ready by deployment, but I figure that since Theia's delayed due to COVID anyway, it would be a good time to get a sky-facing antenna into the housing and get it into the circuitry.

Thoughts? Now that the FAA's making drones a regular class of aircraft it won't be long before the cops start using a drone for traffic enforcement instead of an airplane, so this is going to become a huge problem really fast. A detector that's already set up to pick up ADS-B is going to have a huge lead on its competition.

Edit - the thought also occurs, police are probably using GPS to track their own cars as well. Be nice if there was a way to tap into that, so the detector would know where the actual cop cars are whether they're running radar or not, but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Cool. In that case, if the mods want to delete this thread as a duplicate that's cool with me. I know you guys won't say if it's in there or not, but I hope it is.

Z06fan

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You're probably describing the Zaon MRX to alert to planes. It actually works pretty well but I'm sure it will be outdated sooner vs later.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Duplicate, locked

Status
Not open for further replies.