Radar Detector Recommendation for Zwie

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2018 Toyota Rav4

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$2500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
City and Highway

How do you drive?
Speed Demon

What is your daily drive like?
30 minutes to work and back.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
None, besides Dash Recorder

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
All City

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Not Yet.

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Prefered.

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Not Willing

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
I think this is only in the Canada, I live in the US.

** I recently bought a used Uniden R7. Thinking about buying a ALP Laser Jammer.

Are both Laser jammers and Radar Detectors recommended?

Or can you just get by with a laser jammer?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2018 Toyota Rav4

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$2500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
City and Highway

How do you drive?
Speed Demon

What is your daily drive like?
30 minutes to work and back.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
None, besides Dash Recorder

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
All City

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Not Yet.

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Prefered.

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Not Willing

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
I think this is only in the Canada, I live in the US.

** I recently bought a used Uniden R7. Thinking about buying a ALP Laser Jammer.

Are both Laser jammers and Radar Detectors recommended?

Or can you just get by with a laser jammer?
Since you already have one of the top 3 detectors, I would use the money you budgeted for laser protection. That's assuming they use laser in Guam.
You're off to a great start.

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Since you already have one of the top 3 detectors, I would use the money you budgeted for laser protection. That's assuming they use laser in Guam.
You're off to a great start.
I really appreciate you opinion.

I honestly do not know if they use radar or LIDAR in Guam. ( I have been here 8 months)

I am active duty military serving over seas. and To be honest, I have already gotten two tickets out here.

I will say this, both time have been an LEO standing on the side of the road with a speed device in hand.

A little up the road there are police waiting to flag down the cars he spots speeding.

I believe this could be LIDAR, but I honestly do not know.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good basic questions to start with. Most people confuse radar and laser as the same thing. They're two completely different tools that obtain your speed through different means. In very basic terms, radar uses radio waves and laser uses narrow light to obtain speed. If they do use both tools in Guam, you would need both a radar detector and laser jammers for protection. A laser jammer doesn't pick up radar and a radar detector doesn't offer any real protection against laser.

Your R7 is a great choice as a radar detector and ALP is the best option for laser. There are a lot of reasons to go with ALP that I won't get into but one important difference is that they consistently update their systems each year to keep up with the latest laser threats. Most of the jammer systems don't. Not sure if you know this but both detectors and jammers are illegal on military bases. To answer the question you're asking yourself right now, yes, forum members do still use them in places that they're illegal. You may either want to take the detector down when you enter at the gate, or keep it and your wiring well hidden. If you ever get questioned on the jammers, tell people that they're parking sensors (which is partly true). Hope this serves as a quick cliff notes version to help get you started. A lot to learn but this is a forum with a lot of great people always willing to help.

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
As US territory, would hope laser CM are not illegal. If not, I agree with others, if the device in plolice hands was aimed with their eyes, that was laser. ALSO, if you had the R7 on when you got tagged, did not get a alert, that was laser. R7 laser notification is terrible. If you were lucky amd got a very short alert from R7 saying it was laser, there you go.

ALP for most/all reports with intelligent people on RDF, is rated by far the best. Especially since you have the budget to get fully tricked out with ALP. Which would include a top notch tested install.

Maybe somone cam answer here if ther is such a thing as. Handheld MRXX radar device. That would be the only other reason (assuming you have your R7 in a normal non MRCD/TG setting) you would not have seen a aleet from your R7. Odds are id you had the R7 on, did not get alert, you were hit with laser (especially if the police was aiming the device).

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good basic questions to start with. Most people confuse radar and laser as the same thing. They're two completely different tools that obtain your speed through different means. In very basic terms, radar uses radio waves and laser uses narrow light to obtain speed. If they do use both tools in Guam, you would need both a radar detector and laser jammers for protection. A laser jammer doesn't pick up radar and a radar detector doesn't offer any real protection against laser.

Your R7 is a great choice as a radar detector and ALP is the best option for laser. There are a lot of reasons to go with ALP that I won't get into but one important difference is that they consistently update their systems each year to keep up with the latest laser threats. Most of the jammer systems don't. Not sure if you know this but both detectors and jammers are illegal on military bases. To answer the question you're asking yourself right now, yes, forum members do still use them in places that they're illegal. You may either want to take the detector down when you enter at the gate, or keep it and your wiring well hidden. If you ever get questioned on the jammers, tell people that they're parking sensors (which is partly true). Hope this serves as a quick cliff notes version to help get you started. A lot to learn but this is a forum with a lot of great people always willing to help.
Browsing the internet and found this gem.

Can you see the image i attached?

This is definitely a laser right?

This. Photo was taken back in 2018
Post automatically merged:

As US territory, would hope laser CM are not illegal. If not, I agree with others, if the device in plolice hands was aimed with their eyes, that was laser. ALSO, if you had the R7 on when you got tagged, did not get a alert, that was laser. R7 laser notification is terrible. If you were lucky amd got a very short alert from R7 saying it was laser, there you go.

ALP for most/all reports with intelligent people on RDF, is rated by far the best. Especially since you have the budget to get fully tricked out with ALP. Which would include a top notch tested install.

Maybe somone cam answer here if ther is such a thing as. Handheld MRXX radar device. That would be the only other reason (assuming you have your R7 in a normal non MRCD/TG setting) you would not have seen a aleet from your R7. Odds are id you had the R7 on, did not get alert, you were hit with laser (especially if the police was aiming the device).

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210102-085514_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210102-085514_Chrome.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 23

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Was the LEO holding the device to his eye(looking through it and aiming at you)? If so, that is laser.
Check out this picture.

This photo was taken back in 2018

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210102-085514_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210102-085514_Chrome.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 16

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Browsing the internet and found this gem.

Can you see the image i attached?

This is definitely a laser right?

This. Photo was taken back in 2018
Post automatically merged:
if that is what you saw too, yep, laser.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado