Do you need both a Radar Detector and Laser Jammer

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am new to all of this but I am honestly curious ?

In 2021, Do you still need a Radar Detector? Or can you just buy a Laser Jammer. Something like ALPS

Could you get away with only having a Laser Jammer ?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

In 2021, Do you still need a Radar Detector? Or can you just buy a Laser Jammer. Something like ALPS

Radar is by far prominent for speed detection. Laser is quickly spreading everywhere. We generally recommend getting protection for both threats.
The banner in your profile says you're from Guam. Do they use laser there? I'm sure they use some brand of radar. It could be K band, Ka band 33.8, 34.7, or 35.5. All detectors sold today detect all of those. Some brands detect radar bands great on 1 or 2 of those bands while other brands detect other bands better. That's why it helps us to know what you have to deal with in order for us to make suggestions.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
From a quick search, it appears the Guam PD use both radar and laser devices, so you will want both for full coverage. The best laser jammer on the market is ALP, and you'll get good radar detector advice in your other thread you posted.

Last edited:

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Welcome to the RDF!

When I was on Guam, we really didn't speed over distance. We mainly did short little drag races. I mean, Marine Corps Drive (GH-1) is only 21 miles long, so we figured why speed and risk a ticket when one can't really make any time much less make up time if one is running late (not enough distance remaining to make it worth a ticket)? Another Sergeant and I bought a Pinto Station Wagon and stuffed a built 302 between the fenders wells and had one of the fastest quarter mile cars on the Island. I wonder if that Pinto is still on Guam and running?

For the size of the Island, I would not invest in ALP but I would have an RD. Yes GH-4 can be a fun spirited drive when not crowded, but what are the odds of running into a LEO daily or when it is even possible to exceed the PSL?

Just my thoughts, but those thoughts are based off of my experiences from over 30 years ago.

Enjoy the Forum.

Zwie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Radar is by far prominent for speed detection. Laser is quickly spreading everywhere. We generally recommend getting protection for both threats.
The banner in your profile says you're from Guam. Do they use laser there? I'm sure they use some brand of radar. It could be K band, Ka band 33.8, 34.7, or 35.5. All detectors sold today detect all of those. Some brands detect radar bands great on 1 or 2 of those bands while other brands detect other bands better. That's why it helps us to know what you have to deal with in order for us to make suggestions.
I replied to your other comment.

But I honestly do not know what they use in Guam.
Welcome to the RDF!

When I was on Guam, we really didn't speed over distance. We mainly did short little drag races. I mean, Marine Corps Drive (GH-1) is only 21 miles long, so we figured why speed and risk a ticket when one can't really make any time much less make up time if one is running late (not enough distance remaining to make it worth a ticket)? Another Sergeant and I bought a Pinto Station Wagon and stuffed a built 302 between the fenders wells and had one of the fastest quarter mile cars on the Island. I wonder if that Pinto is still on Guam and running?

For the size of the Island, I would not invest in ALP but I would have an RD. Yes GH-4 can be a fun spirited drive when not crowded, but what are the odds of running into a LEO daily or when it is even possible to exceed the PSL?

Just my thoughts, but those thoughts are based off of my experiences from over 30 years ago.

Enjoy the Forum.
Amazing you were Guam at one point.

Just landed here in May 2020.

Ill be here until 2023.

Guam PD is starting to use Lasers.
And ive already got 2x tickets. (don't shame me)

I ordered the R7.

The $2300 for the ALP is expensive.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Depending on which laser gun(s) they use there, TMG may be a more inexpensive option for you.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Ill be here until 2023.

And i've already got 2x tickets. (don't shame me)

Since you have received two tickets, you should know what Lidar Guns are being used. Look at your tickets and see what Equipment they wrote down for the ticketing device. If you can find out for sure that there is no DragonEye being used on Guam, than as @Maz3 said, TMG can be a less expensive option for you to consider. ALP of course is the current best coverage option but as you mentioned is expensive (but this is one of those cases that one really gets what one pays for IE coverage from Lidar). But if there is no DE, than TMG can be a very good option.

The other option is to just slow down and save the $2300. Again like I said, other than the pure excitement of speed, there is really no reason or benefit from speeding on Guam. I was there in the 80's and between the traffic and monkeys hanging out in large groups in the middle of the highways, we were into quarter and half mile standing start speed runs. A Pinto Station Wagon with a well massaged 302 with a NOS kit plus 23 inch wheel tubs in the back where we cut out the rear of the wagon, made for some fast short runs. Only ticket I received while on Guam was for noise while I was on base. The original 3 inch straight pipe headers from the engine build did nothing for quieting down the small block Windsor V8.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I replied to your other comment.

But I honestly do not know what they use in Guam.

Amazing you were Guam at one point.

Just landed here in May 2020.

Ill be here until 2023.

I ordered the R7.

A dual TMG on the front could be an option for you. Reach out to jag42, he does an RDF discount.

leprof

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
And if we remove the gold mesh in front of the laser sensor of the R1 / R3?

Wouldn't it be more efficient in laser detection ???

sfscott

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Same general question. I currently have an ALP and a built in radar detector in an X5. Bought a new X5 and am leaning toward an ALP/Radenso set-up. Issue is that in the 6 years I have had the original ALP system and driving in CA (mostly northern) I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have been legitimately lit up by laser.

What are other people's experiences and recommendations for CA? Radar still seems pretty prevalent.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Same general question. I currently have an ALP and a built in radar detector in an X5. Bought a new X5 and am leaning toward an ALP/Radenso set-up. Issue is that in the 6 years I have had the original ALP system and driving in CA (mostly northern) I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have been legitimately lit up by laser.

What are other people's experiences and recommendations for CA? Radar still seems pretty prevalent.
Only you can decide that. How much is a speeding ticket, and how much will your insurance go up if you're hit? The fact that you've been lit up by laser before shows that you probably need the extra protection. While I'm a firm believer in the idea that being observant and aware of your surroundings is one of your best weapons against tickets, it's not going to be enough. The more eyes you have helping the better, and even better is if those eyes can defend against the laser gun. And, considering there's probably 100 radar guns for every laser gun out there... definitely need a radar detector.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Its like they have declared war on the American Driver.
All I hear on my police scanner "traffic stop", traffic stop, traffic stop.
It's like a broken record, like they got nothing else to do but write traffic tickets. And they do it in the worst way too, they sit right where the PSL drops from 70 to 55, then bam hit you with a 15 over ticket.
Get a Detector, get a damn good one too.

MurrayB

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Get a detector or an App that will somehow warn you of the upcoming change in speed limit.

norteno

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

I ordered the R7.

Do you know if the clock to your speed from the front, or the back?
The R7 is a great detector for radar. It has a great long range. It is not as good at detecting laser as some of the other detectors.

@Maz3 is right. Depending on what guns they use, a TMG setup may be perfect for you.

quandary

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You need both or else you will have to stay within a reasonable speed. If you have just radar and speed, you are gambling on the possibility that laser is not out there. They can clock your speed from front or back with either technologies.

Also, if jammers are illegal in Guam, you will also be taking a chance the ALP is visible if you are ever stopped.

bluesxturbo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

To add with what everyone is saying, radar can acquire your speed by stationary or moving, laser only stationary. So if you see a LEO on the side not moving, he/she can use both radar and laser.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac