Which license plate countermeasures are you running?

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello,

so I have wasted money 3 times with NoPhoto, pretty hefty little gadget, and after one driving in rain it gives up. I had their original version, I also had their second updated version which was supposed to be the better one and protects with rain, but same thing happened.

what are you guys running? And what’s out there right now?
Small leaf from a tree applied with a little mud,been fine 20 plus years

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have stealth plates on rear. I reckon I've a good chance of avoiding redflex head-on, but from behind I may get caught. I have no idea if they work or not, but the technology sounds impressive and there are reviews claiming success. It consists of a clear film (made of many layers) to put over the original plate. They are a UK company; here is a quote from the site explaining how they work:

"Infrared cameras are widely used for automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) for a number of reasons: they are immune to glare from headlamps; they can use strong illumination to greatly improve image contrast that doesn’t blind a driver; they can ‘see’ through fog and rain effectively. Many ‘anti-camera’ products on the market today make extraordinary claims for what they can do. We do not make such claims because we understand the laws of physics. Stealthplate works as a mirror in the IR while remaining transparent to the human eye and ordinary ‘visible’ cameras and prevents plates being seen by most IR cameras. Proof? See the video!!"

Any experience or opinions would be welcome.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Small leaf from a tree applied with a little mud,been fine 20 plus years
I'm fine in the winter when the snow has built up on the plate :p
Post automatically merged:

I have stealth plates on rear. I reckon I've a good chance of avoiding redflex head-on, but from behind I may get caught. I have no idea if they work or not, but the technology sounds impressive and there are reviews claiming success. It consists of a clear film (made of many layers) to put over the original plate. They are a UK company; here is a quote from the site explaining how they work:

"Infrared cameras are widely used for automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) for a number of reasons: they are immune to glare from headlamps; they can use strong illumination to greatly improve image contrast that doesn’t blind a driver; they can ‘see’ through fog and rain effectively. Many ‘anti-camera’ products on the market today make extraordinary claims for what they can do. We do not make such claims because we understand the laws of physics. Stealthplate works as a mirror in the IR while remaining transparent to the human eye and ordinary ‘visible’ cameras and prevents plates being seen by most IR cameras. Proof? See the video!!"

Any experience or opinions would be welcome.
Link to the actual video/website? Sounds a lot like OnTrac IR Invisi-Plate and Sunflex products

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ah yep, basically Euro version of the aforementioned products. Would require some testing, it's said the ontrac version in the US can be defeated by some IR-only cameras while the sunflex one has a better chance(at least in one side-by-side under IR from a specific camera), so no idea what Stealthplates materials are, only thing you can do is shoot it under various IR cameras and see what happens

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah yep, basically Euro version of the aforementioned products. Would require some testing, it's said the ontrac version in the US can be defeated by some IR-only cameras while the sunflex one has a better chance(at least in one side-by-side under IR from a specific camera), so no idea what Stealthplates materials are, only thing you can do is shoot it under various IR cameras and see what happens
They talk about polycarbonate, but I doubt that has any bearing on function, possibly has a relevance for durability. Thanks for the info. 🙂

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can believe there are products to defeat IR cameras, but defeating visible light cameras requires technology detectable by the human eye (cops) as far as I am aware. IR plate covers are only half the solution, no?

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can believe there are products to defeat IR cameras, but defeating visible light cameras requires technology detectable by the human eye (cops) as far as I am aware. IR plate covers are only half the solution, no?
Yes, depends what the threat is.
Photographs, dear boy, photographs!!😎

In redflex areas, a van sits for hours with a constant-on low power, low frequency k band.
There is a guy in the van, but he is very unlikely to take numbers in light of the large amount of traffic passing, and the photo is needed to legitimise the offence legally.

There are also redflex fixed cameras activated by speed, but these can be detected by gps apps.

The camera goes off when you break the speed limit and you get a photo of your registration plate in the post with your speed ticket.

So you either detect the vans with a top range RD and slow down, or fk up their photo, ditto.

Laser jammer dont work for redflex either.

In Ireland at the moment in my area. almost all speed detection is redflex mobile vans.🙂

Last edited:

Stanley1125

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried using all similar characters on a custom plate so computer recognition would be more likely to misidentify it?
I have changed a G to a 6 on my plate with a tinted plate cover over it you can't tell the difference and I've yet to get stopped or a ticket from a red-light or speed camera in NYC because it's a out of state plate not much New York can do they did write me a ticket for the plate cover while I was parked and they wrote the ticket with the 6 it's extremely hard to tell that is a G and not a 6

M235iMeanYou

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not sure what state you live in but in Minnesota it is common for local cops to stop vehicles for clear or tinted plate covers, a couple mphs over speed limit, a third brake light or even one of two license plate bulbs being inop. Especially late night/early morning hours, ya know, when only the "bad" people are out. F'n Gestapo swine are awful here.
Wow. That is really wild. I guess I have grown up spoiled! I'm from North Carolina, and even in my bright red and very loud car, I have never been pulled. I don't know really anyone who has ever been pulled for anything less than 10+ over speeding, either, they don't often stop for anything less than 10 over!

belnir

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I saw a suggestion online that clear skateboard grip tape is clear to eye but the granules reflect and obscure camera flashes. Has anyone tried this?

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
nfeQfmDB6wMBxPLlicqq87h_ERBS3JmhcqkgDw4134o.jpg

Actually you CAN go fast enough to beat a speed camera - as proven by BBCs Top Gear:

Parts 1-3:

You need to go over 170mph to beat the sensors, though - not something you can do on a regular strip of road.

I saw it years ago, but I can't find it now, but someone did a test before the 85mph TX toll road opened up and they were able to register the cars going 200mph+.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score

ColoradoMike

Red Sox Nation
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No plate CM.

I just dont run a front plate and if I get picked from behind me then LEO won.

I am also in a state that "REQUIRES" a front plate. Not once have I been ticketed for it.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
No plate CM.

I just dont run a front plate and if I get picked from behind me then LEO won.

I am also in a state that "REQUIRES" a front plate. Not once have I been ticketed for it.
As of 2018 it (assuming colorado based on your username :p) the front plate law requires one "Displayed horizontally on the front of a motor vehicle in the location designated by the motor vehicle manufacturer".. so there's some possible wiggle room here if you have a vehicle that requires a front plate bracket. Speaking of CO, my temp tags were due to expire Friday. Dealership seems to not be complying with CRS 42-6-112 "A dealer of motor or off-highway vehicles shall, within thirty days after the sale, deliver or facilitate the delivery of the certificate of title to a purchaser." So here I am with another 60 day temp tag extension as of today, dealer didn't seem interested in discussing the fact that the title is supposed to go to me - NOT the county (cash sale) and that they only had 30 days to do so. So I guess I'll just indefinitely get temp tags every 60 days because they aren't following proper procedure (or even sending it to the right county for that matter, but I digress).

NickF310

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello,

so I have wasted money 3 times with NoPhoto, pretty hefty little gadget, and after one driving in rain it gives up. I had their original version, I also had their second updated version which was supposed to be the better one and protects with rain, but same thing happened.

what are you guys running? And what’s out there right now?
I'm currently running an Inferred clear license plate cover that I picked up off of Amazon. I've looked into products like NoPhoto2.0, and blurring covers. I've researched pate flippers/solid motorized covers (but determined they were too bulky and obvious). I've also looked into using a computer privacy screen to make my own cover that will black out the plate when viewed by a harsh angle. In my opinion, these are all very obvious countermeasures.

I found this here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VWMYDJ/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

This is a fully clear license plate cover. When viewed from the human eye, its just a very thin sheet of plastic, which I find MOST police offers won't really pay too much attention to. I used to be stopped all the time with my tinted covers, but not recently since I moved to this clear one.

However, once viewed in an infrared camera, like a CCTV camera, there is a blocker that blacks out the letters on your plate, only allowing just a portion of your state to be read.

This will only work on camera's running full IR, so it will not work against all cameras, but the way I look at it, it is an added measure of security.

The attached photo was taken with a cell phone camera, and then with my IR garage security camera.

Attachments

• InkedZomboDroid 09012021040446_LI.jpg
    InkedZomboDroid 09012021040446_LI.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm currently running an Inferred clear license plate cover that I picked up off of Amazon. I've looked into products like NoPhoto2.0, and blurring covers. I've researched pate flippers/solid motorized covers (but determined they were too bulky and obvious). I've also looked into using a computer privacy screen to make my own cover that will black out the plate when viewed by a harsh angle. In my opinion, these are all very obvious countermeasures.

I found this here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VWMYDJ/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

This is a fully clear license plate cover. When viewed from the human eye, its just a very thin sheet of plastic, which I find MOST police offers won't really pay too much attention to. I used to be stopped all the time with my tinted covers, but not recently since I moved to this clear one.

However, once viewed in an infrared camera, like a CCTV camera, there is a blocker that blacks out the letters on your plate, only allowing just a portion of your state to be read.

This will only work on camera's running full IR, so it will not work against all cameras, but the way I look at it, it is an added measure of security.

The attached photo was taken with a cell phone camera, and then with my IR garage security camera.
Sunflex wouldn't confirm to me if the one on Amazon was legit or not, but gave me a coupon code to buy directly through them. A few more bucks than Amazon, but peace of mind it's coming from the correct vendor.

NickF310

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sunflex wouldn't confirm to me if the one on Amazon was legit or not, but gave me a coupon code to buy directly through them. A few more bucks than Amazon, but peace of mind it's coming from the correct vendor.
You have the link to the one directly from them? I'd be interested to test the two and see if they're the same.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy