Which license plate countermeasures are you running?

Ali baloch

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello,

so I have wasted money 3 times with NoPhoto, pretty hefty little gadget, and after one driving in rain it gives up. I had their original version, I also had their second updated version which was supposed to be the better one and protects with rain, but same thing happened.

what are you guys running? And what’s out there right now?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What specifically are you trying to counter? There are many types of cameras used for different purposes, and unfortunately what works best for one may not work best for another. Additionally, camera positions, optic types, and illumination also vary significantly, meaning you'll have to know which you want to focus your efforts on.

Mr carbon

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello I'm using a number plate flipper on my motorbike works great I encounter mobile speed Van's in my country there running low power radar i find it's the best solution to defect them especially at nite time

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I didnt see the episode but would have enjoyed it. I wonder if its on YT?

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not running a front plate helps. One great benefit to AZ since it’s not required or even supplied (unless requested with a vanity plate order). Any other shield/cover over a plate is asking for a ticket. Doesn’t matter if it’s clear or not. I don’t know if a single state that explicitly lets you have anything on top of the plate.
Now to sit back and wait for a random comment on Veil....

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not running a front plate helps. One great benefit to AZ since it’s not required or even supplied (unless requested with a vanity plate order). Any other shield/cover over a plate is asking for a ticket. Doesn’t matter if it’s clear or not. I don’t know if a single state that explicitly lets you have anything on top of the plate.
Now to sit back and wait for a random comment on Veil....
North Carolina has a license plate cover law but it has one sentence in the law that can make them legal.

Under N.C. Gen. Stat. §20-63, “any operator of a motor vehicle who covers any registration plate with any frame or transparent, clear, or color-tinted cover that makes a number or letter included in the vehicle’s registration, the State name on the plate, or a number or month on the registration renewal sticker on the plate illegible commits an infraction and shall be penalized under G.S. 14-3.1.”

Read that last part. If the cover or frame makes any part of the plate illegible then it is illegal. If it doesn’t obscure any part of the plate then it is accepted.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

According to Mythbusters, these were their results when they mounted the camera 10 ft off the ground (vice the original 5 ft after viewers complained the camera was too low).

REVISITED: A speed camera can be beaten by a magnified cover.​

RE-BUSTED
The magnified cover failed to obscure the license plate.

REVISITED: A speed camera can be beaten by a reflective cover.​

RE-BUSTED
The reflective cover failed to obscure the license plate.

REVISITED: A speed camera can be beaten by commercial spray.​

RE-BUSTED
The commercial spray failed to obscure the license plate.

REVISITED: A speed camera can be beaten by extreme speeds.​

CONFIRMED
The MythBusters obtained a race car dubbed “The Beast”, which used a jet engine that could propel it to speeds of up to 300 miles per hour. In the first run, The Beast hit 245 miles per hour and managed to pass the camera so fast that it never took a picture. In the second run, the speed camera was slightly modified to account for the increased speed, but still failed to take a picture of The Beast, which traveled faster than the first run. Even though the speed camera was beaten, the MythBusters pointed out that only specialized cars like The Beast could achieve those kinds of speeds and would therefore be very easy to find by the authorities.

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The No-photo did ok on RLC.... but they were able to get a partial of my plate when going against MRCD.

Because of the high resolution camera and heavy filter.
I tested it in 2016. Radenso reimbursed me for the ticket on the “no ticket guarantee”

Check the date and the time. It was near summer solstice. You can see the sun above the power lines in the upper left corner.
That’s how heavy a filter they were using to ID my plate.

Attachments

• 8EBCDE7E-79E0-4B92-81A0-57CC0F31E40C.jpeg
    8EBCDE7E-79E0-4B92-81A0-57CC0F31E40C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
  • C3E43B56-B38E-4CE1-A973-95C8B685D696.jpeg
    C3E43B56-B38E-4CE1-A973-95C8B685D696.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Ali baloch

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The No-photo did ok on RLC.... but they were able to get a partial of my plate when going against MRCD.

Because of the high resolution camera and heavy filter.
I tested it in 2016. Radenso reimbursed me for the ticket on the “no ticket guarantee”

Check the date and the time. It was near summer solstice. You can see the sun above the power lines in the upper left corner.
That’s how heavy a filter they were using to ID my plate.

I received severallll tickets with No photo.
Most of them they reimbursed me. As they were on different cars and different install.

officers would do some type of editing and get visible results and mail me a ticket lol

is there anything like this out ? That’s better?
Post automatically merged:

Hello I'm using a number plate flipper on my motorbike works great I encounter mobile speed Van's in my country there running low power radar i find it's the best solution to defect them especially at nite time

speed camera ? Maybe red light but speed specifically

v1fan

smeg
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
North Carolina has a license plate cover law but it has one sentence in the law that can make them legal.

Under N.C. Gen. Stat. §20-63, “any operator of a motor vehicle who covers any registration plate with any frame or transparent, clear, or color-tinted cover that makes a number or letter included in the vehicle’s registration, the State name on the plate, or a number or month on the registration renewal sticker on the plate illegible commits an infraction and shall be penalized under G.S. 14-3.1.”

Read that last part. If the cover or frame makes any part of the plate illegible then it is illegal. If it doesn’t obscure any part of the plate then it is accepted.

So hopefully not OT but one night this city cop in Smallsberry NC pulled me over for that. With an out of state tag he just wanted to chat I guess. I removed it while he told me how hard it is to tell what state tags are from at night and how his eyes are not so good. I thought damn if I only had a recorder I'd like to play that to the judge while stating that NC cannot enforce a tag frame rule against out of staters.... Who the heck allows him to have a gun? NC decided to put letters where the US standard DOT tag has holes lol - Stupid

Mr carbon

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I received severallll tickets with No photo.
Most of them they reimbursed me. As they were on different cars and different install.

officers would do some type of editing and get visible results and mail me a ticket lol

is there anything like this out ? That’s better?
Post automatically merged:

speed camera ? Maybe red light but speed specifically
Mobile speed Van's radar (reflex)

KY2019GTMUSTANG

Wherever I May Roam +10
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with one of these...
Ghostplate

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got popped by a small local PD for a clear plate cover. And a few odd things about that stop.

1. I had a front smoked plate cover, he didn't care about that one.
2. I had a plate frame that partially obscured the state, he didn't care about that.
3. I had two ALP RX heads and a TX head sitting only 3 inches above the plate, he made no mention of them. (That's a $200 ticket in Texas)

But boy he was sure hot about that clear plate cover. Asking why I had it installed. Cost me $10 in court fees to get it dismissed.

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
in the early 2000's there was a guy in Arizona who made a license plate blocker it worked too well that the city made his life a living hell. So bad he had to discontinue the product. I bought one back then It really worked too. Here in FL it states that the license plate needs to be in plane view tag and all within 100 feet straight line of sight, which it did. just when a device tried to to take a photo it was blocked at certain angles.

Claims​

1. The Loover structure uses solid non see-through slats horizontally across (similar to a mini blind) These slats can not be seen through from above or an abrupt angle and are made of a solid material but allow a clear view from straight on.
A. The Loover slats prevent unauthorized photos to be taken of a license plate from above and from an abrupt angle.B. The Loover slats prevent view of a license plate from above and from an abrupt angle.C. The Loover slats also blocks glair so that a license plate is clearly visible from behind and all angles that are necessary to comply with law enforcement.D. The Loover slats prevent tracking or recording of a license plate number from helicopters, satellite and other tracking devices from above.E. The Loover slats interferes with the resolution of a photo of a license plate by shading many sections of a license plate in a way that makes it hard for digital cameras to process.
2. The Loover serves as a license plate theft deterrent.
A. The appearance of the Loover is a theft deterrent itself. When the Loover is installed it makes a license plate look unreachable.B. The way the Loover is attached to a license plate makes it difficult to remove the license plate. Bolts are used in place of small screws.
3. The way the Loover attaches to a vehicle allows for adjustment for each specific vehicle by using brake away spacers. The spacers are similar to thick washers but are connected to the back of the Loover and a part of the Loover, this allows for adjustment. When the spacers are broken off, the Loover can be installed with less of a tilt.

Last edited:

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have observed that some of the toll cameras and mobile license plate readers use infrared illuminators (not sure about speed cameras, yet). The IR versions can see right through many "smoked" and hazy plastic covers. If you have an video camera with IR/nightvision setting you can try it out for yourself.

There used to be a diffusion type plate cover for sale that looked only very slightly hazy under daylight, but when hit with a camera using a flash (even in daylight as most cameras do), the reflective plate behind the plastic turned the plate image pure white, but . . . it was useless against IR when we tested it (and also cameras without a flash).

shinningstar1960

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I purchased one of those reflective plate covers and I haven't gotten a ticket while traveling on toll roads in IL and TX. But my nephew bought one and for some odd reason he keeps getting tickets, so I told him to put some silver tape on the front of his windshield where his VIN# is and now he doesn't get tickets here in TX.

belnir

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Are the privacy filters like the ones on a computer screen in a hospital effective against ir and visible light? If so does anyone know where i can buy that stuff in bulk?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YepItsAHoopty