Ultimate Distance Test Experiment

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Twas a few nights before Christmas and I was going insane, so I headed to the airport, to get in my plane.
It’s an ole 172, not much of a show, but a trusty ole bird, just kind of slow.
The wind wasn’t blowing and the ceilings were high, it was a beautiful night to go up in the sky.
When I parked the car I turned on the gun, it was a K band Kustom, this was going to be fun!
I grabbed the R7, a cord and sticky cup, did a preflight and fired it up.
I flew far away in a constant direction, to see how far I could get a detection.
I put it in Highway and after a while, I hit the limit of 35 mile!
When switched to Advanced with 50 percent, I got 31 miles which I thought was decent.
In City it lagged, expected of course, but it still got 16 miles from the source.
The video I took was all bouncing around, it was hard to do while flying 3000 ft off the ground.
This was only one detector and more of a test, to see what to expect and what to do best.
Maybe the next time I can add more detectors and steps, and make it as high quality as does Vortex.

Ya, I know, I’m not a good poet. Here are my results.

This was an unobstructed signal angled up slightly to not hit any terrain. Detector in aircraft was 2500-3000 ft above the ground in line of sight of radar antenna. Test was designed to achieve maximum detection distance in the most favorable conditions possible.

Uniden R7 Initial Detection Range from Kustom Pro K Band at 24.143 ghz

Highway Mode, K Filter, TSF, and MRCD On - 35.1 miles

Advanced 50%, K Filter, TSF, and MRCD On - 31.5 miles

City Mode, K Filter, TSF, and MRCD On - 16.8 miles

Video was shot with handheld cell phone for my documentation purposes and shows set-up, nothing special but will at least show that I did it. It was a night flight so you really can’t see much besides navigation screen and detector. Distances shown were in nautical miles and I converted them to statute miles. This was basically an on the fly, quick, last minute thrown together effort, to experiment with the concept of getting absolute range capabilities of a detector…just for fun.

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
hahaha this is a brilliant! Well done!

I wonder how far down this rabbit hole you will be going?

:lolhit:

I can't wait for the R7 V1G2 Theia shootout.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have so often thought of where on Earth I would be able to get unrestricted test distance.
I kept having trouble with a boat on large bodies of water because of the horizon curve, and water absorbing the signal.
Then out on the prairies mounted on a tower or grain elevator, but limited sites.
Airplane with signal angles just right onto a compass bearing! Fracking brilliant idea!
Love it.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just curious how.you knew if it was your radar gun and not something on your plane, or something from the airport

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just curious how.you knew if it was your radar gun and not something on your plane, or something from the airport
Because he used an R7 and it has awesome frequency display. 😁

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So there couldn't be other sources with the same frequency?
Pointed in the exact same direction, angle, same frequency, ramping up to source, when OP would have detected something arriving and setting up.
Probably not likely a duplicate radar source in area.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Epic. I think you just earned yourself a spot in the RDF Historic Society as the first person to test a RADAR detector from a plane.

There are still spots left to be claimed: Helicopter, Hang glider, Skateboard, Segway, and Sailboat, to name a few. 😀

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Super cool! You should try it with a Stalker ATR. Something tells me you're going to have to fly further away for that....lol.

TurboDriver

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know the gun frequency, it was the same frequency for every detection, signal ramp matched distance from beginning to end, I only got the signal when oriented directly toward known source, there is nothing on this old Cessna that is capable of matching this signal type and the R7 display is very accurate and consistent.
Super cool! You should try it with a Stalker ATR. Something tells me you're going to have to fly further away for that....lol.
I do have a Golden Eagle with antennas tuned to 35.5 and 34.7 I will try next, just need some time and decent weather. While on the flight I did pick up 2 different 35.5 signals from neighboring towns, but I didn't feel like going off course for 20+ miles to see if I could find them.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@TurboDriver I should have done some flight following for you haha. Are you working your way up to commercial/multiengine or staying at instrument?

TurboDriver

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@TurboDriver I should have done some flight following for you haha. Are you working your way up to commercial/multiengine or staying at instrument?
I am actually a CFII, started flying in 1992. I thought I wanted to fly Airlines and was on track until 9/11 messed with everything. I got my CFII in early 2000's and did a lot of Instructing back then. Now, I don't fly as much, busy life and not as much time, but still truly enjoy it.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@TurboDriver glad to see more people in aviation on the forum. Very nice and I'm glad you're still flying.

I dispatch for an airline and I also hold ratings for A&P and drone (for commercial work). Working on getting my AGI (passed FOI already), then IGI afterwards. I want to fly but it's expensive and with things going on that's not likely for a long time. In the meantime just flying on the sim.

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Damn, I shoulda tried this with my Cessna...

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
i would say thats the longest distance test i have ever seen then. if there was such a thing as too long, that might be it, lol.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
do you have a ka band gun to use? that would be interesting to see if you could get the same distance

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can pay for avgas to get those RD tests going

ing-it-look-like-its-progressively-laughing-harder.jpg

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Could this method be used to test off axis detection? That would be interesting.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado