Uniden R3 NZ With Ver 1.55 / 2.17 Firmware

Nakiboy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Mithheru thought I should share the details of my new R3 NZ (purchased in NZ) as it seems to have a later firmware installed.

On startup it shows "Uniden NZ-K", firmware is Ver 1.55 / 2.17, Database is vers 1.41.

See link below to a video of the screen as I cycle through the options:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
K1 and K2, interesting!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that. That is very interesting!

I'm pretty sure Blulink only recently got their hands on one of my DFR9forNZ. This therefore could be their response.

I'd also like to see some test results of K1 and K2 segments against the bushnell. So my R3forNZ 156.216.116 has K Narrow (NZ) 24.050-24.100. It'd be interesting to see how this R3 version compares on the K segment.

Looks as though there is a setting on this R3 NZ firmware to also adjust the GPS range for speed cameras. It's funny as I'm currently testing 500m gps speed alerts on the R3!

I'm also concerned though for the many hundreds of people who bought an R3 NZ. How many of those people are actually being informed about new updates, as I see these as being quite useful. @turx as an example. I'd like to know if Uniden actually repair your R3 under warranty and put this upgrade on, and/or let you know its available.

@Nakiboy - Where abouts in NZ are you? If you're around Wellington, I'd really fancy meeting up to test this on my bushnell to determine the K segments. I'm assuming the R3 didn't come with any extra information setting out these improvements?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unlikely, but does K1 go down to the lower redflex range? We have repeatedly been told that R3 is hardware limited to 24.050, but what does K1 really go down to?

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Found this on the RadarDirect website ;

RadarDirect said:
OUR COMMENT: “New Hardware and Software has just arrived for the 2021 Model Year.

Now with Expanded K band for improved Detection of the Mobile Speed Camera vans

Intresting claim on new hardware

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Found this on the RadarDirect website ;

Intresting claim on new hardware
Very interesting, considering we have been told that the device is hardware limited.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A phone call to Radar Direct should reveal more detail... Would Uniden really invest into more hardware for the R3 just so little old NZ can sweep down to pickup Redflex? Possible, but highly unlikely. It is more probably a 24.050-24.110 segment to catch the upper band of Redflex while giving minimal false alerts.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
!!!???

I'm sure I heard rumours some time ago for an R4!? Maybe I was day dreaming. I always found the whole 24.050 thing odd on the R3. It's possible they changed the crystal or something, but then surely we'd be seeing the same thing being acknowledged in the R3 in the US also, or promoted as a new model.

My guess is blulink realised they had to do something, and thereby matched my R3forNZ version (with K Narrow (NZ) 24.050-24.100), to make a similar version with K1 24.050-24.110 and 24.110-24.250.

If anyone likely knows anything I reckon @Vortex would know. Lets face facts, all the R3 NZ versions are US imports anyway, just updated by blulink / Uniden NZ with their branding. They even keep the US spelling of words like 'color'. All the Upload tools, 1.25, 1.27 and 1.28 which support the Uniden NZ models are developed by Uniden America. It only makes sense if Uniden America make a similar R3 to capture redflex in the US. If there is no such plan, then I reckon its more of a scam to make us think it can replicate the K band capability down to 23.900 on the R7, but actually it just can't.

...if we assume there is new hardware, why call it an R3 why not an R4? Why not make people want to spend a bit more cash on the latest new thing, or to upgrade their R3 to a newer model? On the flip side, assuming it is an 'R3' hardware, that same hardware would be available as new R3s on sale in the US. Then whilst some people might be left out, for the rest who buy more recently, it just becomes a firmware thing again, and then we just keep going around in circles.

Time will tell. In conclusion, I reckon if it says R3 on the box, it's an R3 inside the box, and if it's an R3 inside, its limited to 24.050.

Mikikeka

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Unlikely, but does K1 go down to the lower redflex range? We have repeatedly been told that R3 is hardware limited to 24.050, but what does K1 really go down to?
Yes by some Cristal . I have r3 and r7 r7 in use of k band r3 k is off no use .
Redflex under 24.050

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Actually the more I dig into this the more I think it is firmware. I think blaming firmware was easier for blulink to pass the buck. Now my DFR9forNZ arrived on the scene they were pushed into action. Looking at the history of the R7 development, 124DSP when progressing to 125DSP and then 129 DSP, there was an unintentional move to cut out 23.900-24.050. I suspect someone used the R3 DSP as the basis of the new features but forgot to reinstate the lower limit from 124 R7 DSP. None of the beta testers were expecting the change, so nobody checked. Thereby when DSP 129 came along the new features and improvments over 125DSP made it out into the release.

All the tuning, settings and calibration on the R1, R3 and R7 happens in the firmware. There are no longer any screws to tune and based upon firmware they became much easier to set up. With more time, I think I can find the correction to apply to the 129DSP in the Uniden 129 US firmware. My feeling is now that the same could very likely be done for the R3. @Vortex I think since redflex is widely used also in the USA, there should be awareness raised with Uniden America around the issue of the R3, and to require them to provide a future fix for the R3 to scan on K extended 23.900-24.250. If the R3 NZ 217DSP does confirm to fix the issue, then I guarantee it is firmware based and has nothing to do with hardware.
Post automatically merged:

Testing R7 125 DSP just below 24.050 gives a faint false alert just above ~24.6 (perhaps I should do a video next time I have the kit set up). Do the same thing on the R3 you get a similarly faint false in the same region. We know from the R7 this is caused by a glitch in the firmware, not the hardware. So it does now look to me like a glitch in the R3 firmware (accidental or otherwise).

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
From what I understand, the R3 has a hardware limit of 24.050. They could go lower, but then they'd be cutting out something else which is what they did with the R7 which can only scan up to 35.7'ish or something like that. The R3 can go all the way up to 36.0 and has a 10th Ka segment for that reason.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
From what I understand, the R3 has a hardware limit of 24.050. They could go lower, but then they'd be cutting out something else which is what they did with the R7 which can only scan up to 35.7'ish or something like that. The R3 can go all the way up to 36.0 and has a 10th Ka segment for that reason.

Yup, see BRD's posts:

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I think what Vortex said is likely to be spot on. @DC Fluid @Dukes @crabu2 @DEMON5 @Zakk The implementation of this new R3 NZ version is in my opinion probably one the most important developments we have seen on the R3 since its release. It's not the R3 NZ firmware itself which is so important, it's what it shows can be done.

As @cihkal and others have said before: The crystal is a limitation of the R3 hardware, but it's not the full story. The crystal does determine the frequency that is detected, but that doesn't necessarily limit the frequency width that can actually be detected. If we consider the DFR9 and DFR7 for a second, when converting them both to NZ spec on the firmware, you also need to separately manually correct the tuning. On the R3 (and R1) and R7 the tuning is set in the DSP firmware itself. Thereby the new R3 firmware likely just tells the DSP to set the tuning lower, just like you manually have to do on the DFR7 and DFR9. The firmware then also has to correct for the shift in tuning to get the correct frequencies. Therefore as vortex said for the R7, if the detector needs to scan lower on K band, you loose the top end of Ka band, and visa versa.

I believe it is also possible to get the both top and bottom of K and Ka simultaneously, but the trade off here would likely be loss of resolution of the frequency accuracy, which is going to cause issues with the accuracy towards segment boundaries. Thereby another fix is likely the best solution:

I think going forward Uniden for the USA and Canada should add a menu option for the R3. Therefore have a setting to scan low or scan high. This would be very easy to compensate in the rest of the DSP and need not change the frequency accuracy. That way for those needing top Ka segment and/or having a particular type of MRCD threat the R3 can still cover it well. For those people facing lower end MRCD and/or redflex, the low scanning option would be better for them. If you drove across state, where you needed to swap, it would just be a matter of changing the menu setting.

So essentially when Uniden has been saying it's a hardware issue, its a half truth, in fact it's more of a lie. Firmware very much tells the R3 what to do. I'm now convinced a firmware update could low K scanning on the R3 if people needed it.

Thereby I await to see how low on K band the new R3 NZ 155 firmware can go. I would reckon at least 23.95. Most likely they probably set it to be 23.900-24.100 on K1 segment to match exactly the R7 NZ.

Another interesting development: Looks as though this new R3 NZ version is not supported on the latest 1.28 upload tool. Therefore also looks like Uniden NZ have also now changed the R3 NZ firmware encryption. Therefore also looks like it needs a new upload tool version to update it (which is not yet available).

Last edited:

NTLGNC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Another interesting development: Looks as though this new R3 NZ version is not supported on the latest 1.28 upload tool. Therefore also looks like Uniden NZ have also now changed the R3 NZ firmware encryption. Therefore also looks like it needs a new upload tool version to update it (which is not yet available
I bet that it will not be released for public download either ie. a physical return to supplier for an upgrade will be required

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The fact that this new R3 version is not compatible with the old database files and all available upload tool versions could be a problem if they don't release anything. It might work well, but would people really want to buy a detector they cannot update. I guess for most people they may only find out once they've paid their money.

I hope this doesn't take Uniden NZ down a dead end.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I see in the OP video, the NZ-K still has 10 Ka band segments, although it doesn't show the frequency ranges for each segment

Sutri

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey @Mithheru, I have also recently purchased a 2021 model of the R3 as our fellow poster here. Mine has also come as Uniden NZ-K", firmware is Ver 1.55 / 2.17, Database is vers 1.41" If you would still like to test this out, and haven't had the chance, let me know, I am in Wellington. Also apologies, I did not know you sold Mithheru R3's

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I see in the OP video, the NZ-K still has 10 Ka band segments, although it doesn't show the frequency ranges for each segment
Yes this could be a telling sign that the K range has NOT dropped below 24.050 but who knows. Someone with one of these needs to enable both K segments and drive around and try and find a false alert which is well below 24.050

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@turx has just got a new R3 and indicates it has Uniden 1.43 database. I note this is not on blulink's website. Therefore I don't know what changes were made. Although Mark S. (blulink) indicated they're happy to update Uniden NZ R3s and R7s free of charge (firmware only, NOT new R3 hardware), it's clearly a hassle.

However. I have just added another three new Auckland redlight/speed cameras over v2.22 which was already a lot more up to date than blulink's 1.41 version. Thanks go to @nzFALCONnz and @MYE63S for the latest notifications. I also noted the camera on Huia road has now appeared on Google, so I've also updated that in the next version with my latest precision.

2.24 is therefore ready and rebuilt for the next R7 International, but I haven't yet written the conversion program to put it out for release yet. I just need a bit more time. So please keep me updated with any new cameras, as it sounds like a lot were added in Auckland in 2020.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekantonelli