Black vehicle vs Lidar?

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
White reflects most light while black absorbs most light. So that has me wondering if a totally blacked out vehicle would be harder to get a Lidar speed reading from. I know the weak spot probably would be the headlights. But what about rear shots?

I don't have the equipment to test this. Maybe someone could test to see if a black vehicle reduces Lidar effectiveness. Here's an example of the type vehicle I'm talking about:
review_337095_1.jpg

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Back in the '90's dark colors were an advantage and reduced acquisition range, but any gun produced in the last 15 years or thereabouts can get a reading off any color vehicle.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If they target your license plate, headlights or tail lights, a dark paint color is not going to help too much.

GTO_04

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the color of a vehicle has never slowed down acquisition time on any of the guns I have shot or owned.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
White reflects most light while black absorbs most light. So that has me wondering if a totally blacked out vehicle would be harder to get a Lidar speed reading from.
I think if there's a difference at all, the degree of difference between a white vehicle and a black one would be like how much a car stuck on railroad crossing will slow down a freight train hitting it at 100mph, vs how much an SUV stuck on the crossing will slow it down.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Problem is while the paint is black there is still a nice coat of shiny reflective clear coat... So it's not as non reflective as you might think. Against the really old guns it would help a little against super long shots against modern guns it doesn't really make much difference.

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My furthest RLR shot I have hit was on a black vehicle and that was out over a mile

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You have to remember, that just because we can't see something doesn't mean the infrared light from the gun can't. Some things look dark or solid to our eyes but the IR light goes right through it, and some things we can see through but the gun IR can't, like some window tint films for example.

Last edited:

WalterTheRadarWizard9999

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think if there's a difference at all, the degree of difference between a white vehicle and a black one would be like how much a car stuck on railroad crossing will slow down a freight train hitting it at 100mph, vs how much an SUV stuck on the crossing will slow it down.
😂😂😂

PhoenixM3

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
White reflects most light while black absorbs most light. So that has me wondering if a totally blacked out vehicle would be harder to get a Lidar speed reading from. I know the weak spot probably would be the headlights. But what about rear shots?

I don't have the equipment to test this. Maybe someone could test to see if a black vehicle reduces Lidar effectiveness. Here's an example of the type vehicle I'm talking about:
View attachment 168818
Laser is like a honey badger - It don’t GAF.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz