How big does the grommet opening have to be to fit the sensors through?

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I seem to recall that his has been strongly recommended against doing by the manufacturer, but maybe I’m misremembering.
No you are HIGHLY CORRECT. The Manufacturers are EXTREMELY vocal (posts/writings) about NOT cutting the cables and resoldering.

Benzr

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Under 15 USC 2301, et. Seq. (the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act) a manufacturer can not void the product warranty just because you: (i) modify it; or (ii) repair it with non OEM parts, unless your modification causes/contributes to the covered failure. That, my friends, is a federal law which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission.

This is why a car manufacturer can not void your car warranty because you "tap" into the electrical system for your counter measures, CB, Stereo, or your commercial or ham radio.

This is also why you can service your under warranty car with non OEM parts and not void your warranty.
:)

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Like when you repeatedly assert things that are not accurate?
1611781603897.gif

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
America's Dairyland - Smell our Dairy Air!

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you are concerned about the size of the hole (can't tell from your OP) you can always cut the wires, pass them, then solder and heat shrink them. If you are only passing 3 wires, you can get by with a fairly small hole. This also makes it easier to get the wires through an existing (OEM) passway instead of drilling a new hole through the firewall.
AFTER having done this, I realized that a much cleaner approach would have been to cut off the RJ45 connector at the CPU end of the cable, thread the cable, and then use the crimper (that I already owned) to crimp a new terminal on it. MUCH cleaner and no solder.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
AFTER having done this, I realized that a much cleaner approach would have been to cut off the RJ45 connector at the CPU end of the cable, thread the cable, and then use the crimper (that I already owned) to crimp a new terminal on it. MUCH cleaner and no solder.
And that has no objection from the manufacturer.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Red Baron