US DFR7 conversion to NZ

motivated

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My friend got me a DFR7 on my birthday, it came few days ago but looks like it's a US based one not a NZ one cuz I was literally two cars behind an undercover cop yesterday and this shit gave me no alerts, is that normal or am I tripping.

I went through a lot of posts in here and came to know that I need to update my detector database to NZ one.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello @motivated and welcome aboard RDF!

WRT your RD not alerting, it could have been as simple as the LEO didn't have any radar on at the time. Finally, you also need to touch base with @Mithheru to update your DFR7's firmware.

motivated

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello @motivated and welcome aboard RDF!

WRT your RD not alerting, it could have been as simple as the LEO didn't have any radar on at the time. Finally, you also need to touch base with @Mithheru to update your DFR7's firmware.
Thanks @jestric for the info, looks like I can’t send a message to @Mithheru cuz prolly I just joined this forum. I hope @Mithheru sees this and contacts me here or on IG: @motivated

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks @jestric for the info, looks like I can’t send a message to @Mithheru cuz prolly I just joined this forum. I hope @Mithheru sees this and contacts me here or on IG: @motivated

It does take the forum software several minutes to recognize that you've made your introduction post. Once it does, you should be able to reach out to him via a PM.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @motivated. As @jestric mentioned, @Mithheru is probably the best person to start with on a DFR7 in NZ. I'm sure he'll drop by when he sees the thread.

People that aren't familiar with radar detectors often think that a detector isn't working because it doesn't alert to a nearby police car. Detectors actually work great, but they only alert when a police car has their radar turned on.

motivated

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It does take the forum software several minutes to recognize that you've made your introduction post. Once it does, you should be able to reach out to him via a PM.
Thank you sir @jestric
Post automatically merged:

Welcome to the forum @motivated. As @jestric mentioned, @Mithheru is probably the best person to start with on a DFR7 in NZ. I'm sure he'll drop by when he sees the thread.

People that aren't familiar with radar detectors often think that a detector isn't working because it doesn't alert to a nearby police car. Detectors actually work great, but they only alert when a police car has their radar turned on.
Oh shit I didn’t know that my bad I’m new to this but thanks for the info sir.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There are lots or reasons why a detector may not be alerting.

Radenso did a great commentary on this issue:

For the DFR7 the US version actually works quite well in NZ. On Ka band, you should have had no issues detecting police Ka. Chances are they just didn't have radar turned on. Actually this is something we're seeing more and more in NZ. I think IO is becoming a much more commonly used radar tactic than it used to be. Therefore even the faintest sniff from your detector of Ka band needs to be treated seriously and with caution.

In terms of updating your DFR7 to NZ spec. The thread here should help you out:

Generally this is now pretty fail safe. The one thing to realise to never to do is: NEVER install an Official Uniden NZ DFR7 firmware update onto a US origin DFR7 (especially after conversion).

Uniden NZ official database updates are fine to install on the converted detector, just NOT the DFR7 NZ firmware!

This may get confusing, but the thing to remember is that your US DFR7 will always keep its US encryption, even after conversion to the NZ specification.

So once converted you can either use the latest Uniden NZ 1.41 database or else you can opt for my fully customised one (currently version 2.22).

Attachments

• NZ_DB_V1.41_20201016.bin.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 14

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you sir @jestric
Post automatically merged:

Oh shit I didn’t know that my bad I’m new to this but thanks for the info sir.
No problem - a detector is a great tool to help you avoid tickets. The majority of police vehicles (at least in the US) won't be using radar but the detector will let you know when there is one monitoring the speed of vehicles. Lots to learn but they're simple devices to use and as soon as you get a "save", you won't want to drive without one.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome!

motivated

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There are lots or reasons why a detector may not be alerting.

Radenso did a great commentary on this issue:

For the DFR7 the US version actually works quite well in NZ. On Ka band, you should have had no issues detecting police Ka. Chances are they just didn't have radar turned on. Actually this is something we're seeing more and more in NZ. I think IO is becoming a much more commonly used radar tactic than it used to be. Therefore even the faintest sniff from your detector of Ka band needs to be treated seriously and with caution.

In terms of updating your DFR7 to NZ spec. The thread here should help you out:

Generally this is now pretty fail safe. The one thing to realise to never to do is: NEVER install an Official Uniden NZ DFR7 firmware update onto a US origin DFR7 (especially after conversion).

Uniden NZ official database updates are fine to install on the converted detector, just NOT the DFR7 NZ firmware!

This may get confusing, but the thing to remember is that your US DFR7 will always keep its US encryption, even after conversion to the NZ specification.

So once converted you can either use the latest Uniden NZ 1.41 database or else you can opt for my fully customised one (currently version 2.22).
That video above was actually worth watching it and now I know little more about radar detectors in terms of how they works. Thanks my G @Mithheru . I think I’ll test my radar properly and see whats going you know, cuz I don’t even get alerts for speed cameras so Idk and its been only a day since I put it on but let me see whassup and then I’ll hit your lane for the conversion. Thank you once again. Happy New Years mate ^^

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you want to send it down to me, I can fully test it on Ka, K and laser. I can then also convert it and update the gps. Might actually save you a lot of hassle, and then you know for sure if everything is as dependable as it should be.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John RD