Highway Radar 2.5: V1 integration, redesigned sounds, better weather, and more

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok will check thanks for the advice
Ok that did the trick Thanks, still may have an issue when I get an alert it shuts off my V1G2 and I have to unplug it and plug it back in

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Ok that did the trick Thanks, still may have an issue when I get an alert it shuts off my V1G2 and I have to unplug it and plug it back in
You can change the weather radar layer to "Raw NWS radar data" -- it consumes way less resources, though doesn't provide forecasts.

Regarding V1 issue, are you sure it shuts off, not just turns of the display? Also, a qq: how many devices are connected to your phone via Bluetooth when you use HwR with V1? E.g. car's stereo, smart watch, etc.

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'll try the weather change, I did some more testing and it just turns off the display, I made some changes in the app and now it stays on, should have done one change at a time so I know which change fixed it. I use a tablet that is blue toothed to my V1, my tablet uses my phone as a hot spot. All seems to be working pretty good on my way home tonight, thanks for your help.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I'll try the weather change, I did some more testing and it just turns off the display, I made some changes in the app and now it stays on, should have done one change at a time so I know which change fixed it. I use a tablet that is blue toothed to my V1, my tablet uses my phone as a hot spot. All seems to be working pretty good on my way home tonight, thanks for your help.
Can you post or PM my the model of your tablet? Just for my record.

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Let me know if you got it

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Things are working pretty good, one other thing I noticed is that the beeping when an alert lets say police is on the screen cuts in and out and don't alert like it used to.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Things are working pretty good, one other thing I noticed is that the beeping when an alert lets say police is on the screen cuts in and out and don't alert like it used to.
Couldn't that be you going below beeper minimum speed?

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't thing so but will check, I don't remember ever changing that and it's always been a great alert beeping from 3 miles out until I pass the LEO

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I don't thing so but will check, I don't remember ever changing that and it's always been a great alert beeping from 3 miles out until I pass the LEO
New version brings completely redesigned alerts, and some settings could have been reset to defaults. Try checking your configuration.

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Will do thanks

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Couldn't that be you going below beeper minimum speed?
I have set the min beeper speed to zero from 25 so I don't think that was it but will let you know tomorrow

rigapica

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a loose USB C connector on my phone and this is the reason why on a 2-3 hours trip I do not bother to connect the car charger to the phone and instead relay on the phone battery power.

W aze has very low battery consumption (I measured 20% battery consumption on a 5 hour trip with the screen off).

Unfortunately Highway Radar is consuming 2-3 times more battery than Waze with the screen off.

I am very grateful for this outstanding application, and I understand perfectly the massive time and skills required to code it (I do some software myself too as a hobby) but I would like, if possibile, 2 small changes in the settings:

1) Configurabile server pooling time (so I can choose to pool the servers every 30 sec or 1 min instead of every 15 sec like it is today). I believe that this setting can decrease battery consumption when using it with the screen off.

The added benefit of the longer poll interval is the reduction in stress on w aze servers. Google Play shows that a lot of peoples downloaded the Highway Radar, hence the unusual high traffic to w aze servers can be noticed by some server admin and banned.

2) In settings, extend the time slider to Show Comunity alerts older than 30min, maybe up to an hour. The reason is this: I am quite freqently choosing some random backcountry roads to travel back home (if I finish the work early) and these roads have very few cars and if I see a police alert (even if it is older) it will make me drive more carefully on that segment.

This setting is even more important today with the proliferation of police laser guns in my country.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I have a loose USB C connector on my phone and this is the reason why on a 2-3 hours trip I do not bother to connect the car charger to the phone and instead relay on the phone battery power.

W aze has very low battery consumption (I measured 20% battery consumption on a 5 hour trip with the screen off).

Unfortunately Highway Radar is consuming 2-3 times more battery than Waze with the screen off.

I am very grateful for this outstanding application, and I understand perfectly the massive time and skills required to code it (I do some software myself too as a hobby) but I would like, if possibile, 2 small changes in the settings:

1) Configurabile server pooling time (so I can choose to pool the servers every 30 sec or 1 min instead of every 15 sec like it is today). I believe that this setting can decrease battery consumption when using it with the screen off.

The added benefit of the longer poll interval is the reduction in stress on w aze servers. Google Play shows that a lot of peoples downloaded the Highway Radar, hence the unusual high traffic to w aze servers can be noticed by some server admin and banned.

2) In settings, extend the time slider to Show Comunity alerts older than 30min, maybe up to an hour. The reason is this: I am quite freqently choosing some random backcountry roads to travel back home (if I finish the work early) and these roads have very few cars and if I see a police alert (even if it is older) it will make me drive more carefully on that segment.

This setting is even more important today with the proliferation of police laser guns in my country.

Hi, thanks for suggestions.
Regarding, increased CPU usage, currently the component consuming the most resources is the new weather radar -- ensure it is either disabled, or use raw NWS data.
1) Polling data from servers doesn't consume much battery, there are components in HwR consuming way more energy (e.g. snap to road). Also, the amount of traffic generated to the crowdsourced server by HwR is very low, and it is by several orders of magnitude less than non-HwR traffic.
2) To my best knowledge, crowdsourced servers never return police alerts older than 30 minutes.

rigapica

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I do not have Google services on the phone because they are too bloated (but I have Gmaps, Earth, etc), so there it is no map on the screen, hence I think that weather does not work too because of that. And I could not find how to disable the weather in settings.

You have done a briliant program wich solves my 2 problems with w aze: alert from a far greater distance & give alert no matter wich side of the road is the police. Thank you!

Reactions: WJS

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I do not have Google services on the phone because they are too bloated (but I have Gmaps, Earth, etc), so there it is no map on the screen, hence I think that weather does not work too because of that. And I could not find how to disable the weather in settings.

You have done a briliant program wich solves my 2 problems with w aze: alert from a far greater distance & give alert no matter wich side of the road is the police. Thank you!
You're right, weather is only available when the map is available.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikelonghair