ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a long wait, I'm happy to announce Highway Radar v2.5. As this is quite a significant update, I'm planning to keep it in beta mode for several weeks while observing stability and tuning the performance. I'm not sure if this version will ever go public; more likely, v2.5.1 with some new features will be the next public release. v2.5 still requires some development and isn't 100% ready for the public channel; however, I want to share what I have now with everyone and start gathering feedback. I'll do my best to fix bugs and issues ASAP; please bear with me if something isn't working right. I've tested this version on ~700 miles, including ~300 miles paired with a V1; however, I have a feeling that there are still some issues requiring attention. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app's page.

Valentine V1 (G2) integration​

V1 integration
V1 configuration

Frequency rules
Lockouts

Without any doubt, the biggest update of this version is V1G2 integration. I know, I said many times this won't happen, as I don't use V1 (I still don't use it and have no plans yet, BTW). However, think of this update as of preparing the app for the Theia release. It will be much easier to support a new detector if the app already supports one.

Here are the benefits you can get from pairing V1G2 with Highway Radar
  • GPS lockouts, including auto-lockouts
  • Easy V1 internal settings control
  • Frequency rules (e.g., custom labels/sounds for different frequencies, or add a notch filter for BSM with known frequencies)
  • Control V1 display
  • View multiple alerts at once
  • Fine-grained strength display
However, I don't have a goal of supporting every feature of V1.

So, here are some limitations of using V1 with Highway Radar
  • First of all, only V1G2 is supported. V1G1 will also work, but some features won't work correctly.
  • Radar detector integration doesn't work until the first location obtained by the app. I'm going to fix that in one of the next versions. (fixed this in the latest beta build)
  • On-device custom frequencies and custom sweeps aren't supported as they don't affect sweep time in V1G2. You can use frequency rules in the application to achieve a similar effect.
Also, please keep in mind that I don't have a goal to support every feature of V1; my goal is to prepare the application for Theia. I'm very open to suggestions for improvements; however, it is unlikely that I'll implement something entirely irrelevant for Theia soon (such as frequency-based filters for BSMs).

I also want to thank @Vortex for lending me a V1, so this release became possible.

Redesigned Sound Settings​

Sound settings

The new version has a new approach to sound configuration. Instead of having a different set of options for different alert types, everything has a unified configuration. You can configure voice announcement, bogey tone, and beeper for every item separately (police, aircraft, cameras, radar bands, etc.). And yes, Highway Radar supports bogey tones now - they play whenever a new alert appears.

Also, the new version has support for all sounds from the Uniden R7 detector. If you want to add sounds from another detector you have in possession, please reach out to me - I'll give you instructions on recording.

New Weather Radar​

Weather radar

Highway Radar v2.5 brings a new weather radar data source. MRMS is a state of the art model for precipitation radar data postprocessing; and it is now available in Highway Radar. Also, Highway Radar now pulls the weather forecast for the next hour and presents it to you. It can either show an animated weather radar forecast or perform a smart merge and, based on your average speed, at every point, show the forecasted weather at the time you arrive there. See the picture above for more details.

Improved map overlays​

Map overlays

Some work has been made to support multiple data layers displayed at the same time. Now you can have traffic jams, heat maps, and weather radar all at once. In order to make the new mode usable, a couple of new options were added to the heat map overlay:
  • There is an option to set a transparent background starting from a specific heat level. For example, only show orange and red areas.
  • Also, to avoid the heat map being hidden behind the traffic jams layer, there is an option to dilate the data.

This is a beta release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).

Have fun! And special thanks to those 181 people who switched to the beta update channel!

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

RDForum owner and Rdtalk.org Founder
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Will Highway Radar automatically start up when it detects a V1G2 like JBV1 does?

crdbrKiss

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just curious, I am running Highway Radar on my S8+ but do not see the maps on my display? Is there a setting I am not toggling to make the map appear or is this exclusive to certain devices?

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This looks beautiful! Makes me want to pick up a V1G2.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow great work! Your app looks awesome, like a simpler alternative to JBV1 that still gives autolockouts, CSA alerts, weather info, and more.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Will Highway Radar automatically start up when it detects a V1G2 like JBV1 does?
Not yet. Possibly, later, when it is better suited to "out of the pocket" operation.

Just curious, I am running Highway Radar on my S8+ but do not see the maps on my display? Is there a setting I am not toggling to make the map appear or is this exclusive to certain devices?
Settings -> Display -> Display type -> Map.
The only device requirement is Google Play services installed. On S8+, unless it is rooted, they should be installed.

This looks beautiful! Makes me want to pick up a V1G2.
Or wait for Theia? :)

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@ferius I have noticed that some red light/speed cameras are disoriented on the map 90° from their actual orientation resulting in no alert. I understand that this information is scraped from a 3rd party database, but would it be possible to create an orientation correction feature activated by touching a camera icon?

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
@ferius I have noticed that some red light/speed cameras are disoriented on the map 90° from their actual orientation resulting in no alert. I understand that this information is scraped from a 3rd party database, but would it be possible to create an orientation correction feature activated by touching a camera icon?
If this is the case in your area I'd recommend enabling all-directional alert mode: Settings -> Cameras alerts -> Consider camera direction -> Always alert from any direction.

I have updating cameras feature in the future -- I think I'll be able to create much more accurate database with an option for everyone to introduce edits there.

jcaptchaos2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is there a reason when I turn the weather on the police disappear?

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is there a reason when I turn the weather on the police disappear?
Yes - this means that you have a map range override when weather layer is enabled. When this override is activated, all map markers are hidden as they'll be severely overlapping each other due to a big map range. To disable the range override, go to Settings -> Weather radar -> Uncheck "Override map range when weather radar is displayed".

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hell yes! This rocks, @ferius!! I’ll be sure to switch to the beta channel and give this a shot.

crdbrKiss

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
On the settings, is it best to use WAZE or SABRE? I am not familiar with SABRE and is one more reliable than the other.

jcaptchaos2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes - this means that you have a map range override when weather layer is enabled. When this override is activated, all map markers are hidden as they'll be severely overlapping each other due to a big map range. To disable the range override, go to Settings -> Weather radar -> Uncheck "Override map range when weather radar is displayed".
Thanks Ferius

RaggedEdge

Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ran it a bunch yesterday and today, the integration isn't bad, but there are a few things that would make it a LOT better:

1.) eSavvy or low speed muting of some sort.
2.) When manually muting the V1G2, HR would unmute it instantly, obviously that is annoying.
3.) I'm not sure of this, but I think HR still announces K band alerts that have been locked out.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Ran it a bunch yesterday and today, the integration isn't bad, but there are a few things that would make it a LOT better:

1.) eSavvy or low speed muting of some sort.
2.) When manually muting the V1G2, HR would unmute it instantly, obviously that is annoying.
3.) I'm not sure of this, but I think HR still announces K band alerts that have been locked out.

Thanks!
1) It is easily configured using sound rules (Settings -> Sound -> <choose band>). Simply make all alerts happening above your threshold speed.
2) Yes, this is in my list. Unfortunately, V1G2 doesn't send any kinds of events on buttons press, so it is a bit tricky to detect that button press.
3) I'll double check that, thanks. Locked out alerts should have a gray color and no sound at all. There is also a special type of alert marked as "ALO candidate" -- this is auto-lockout candidate and they behave same as new alerts -- sound, announcements, etc.

RaggedEdge

Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
1) It is easily configured using sound rules (Settings -> Sound -> <choose band>). Simply make all alerts happening above your threshold speed.
This will mute the V1G2 as well?

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
This will mute the V1G2 as well?
It depends on how you configure muting behavior in Settings -> V1 integration -> Operational -> Device muting mode.
If it is not "Always unmuted", then yes -- it will mute V1 as well.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckmanNZ