Radar Detector Recommendation for Geo4728

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
Audi A4 B9 Avant

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$250

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Romania, East Europe

How do you drive?
Fast enough to get a ticket but slow enough to not be reckless.30% over the limit.

What is your daily drive like?
Urban 90% of the time. Short drives and long ones but in the city mostly.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
~7 years but always old detectors

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
Urban but European so a lot of curves and obstructions but also a fair number of straights.

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
No

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
Android

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
Hey guys, here is some relevant info...
Radar technology used:
-K band fixed and mobile (old Python systems and newer Bee III)
-K band pistol
-Laser pistols lately (TruCam2)
No X or Ka, its imperative that the detector can turn off these bands.
No MRCD/MRCT from my research but this this is not public information so im not 100%

Another thing to point out, the detectors that i can easily get here are:
Cobra 450 RAD
Whistler 468 GXI
Both are 140$ and i was going to buy the Cobra considering i heard it actually has good filtering for urban setting.

After that i started reading this forum, watching some vortex radar videos and now I'm considering importing from USA via Amazon one of the following 250$ detectors:
Uniden R3
Radenso Xp

I formed the following opinion from my research by reading here (again, considering only K band performance) R3 with lowered settings (lower sensitivity/city mode) = Xp on highway mode for detection performance.
I would rather get the R3 and have the extra power when going on the highway and lowering its sensitivity to reduce false alarms in the city rather than the Xp on highway mode but with killer filtering.

Now i leave this for you to judge. Does it make sense? Am i going to get too many false alarms from the R3 in an urban environment?
Thanks!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R3! You can use Quiet Ride(set at whatever you want). Most are able to set it up to be tolerable in urban environments. On laser, it is just a ticket notifier if even that.

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
R3! You can use Quiet Ride(set at whatever you want). Most are able to set it up to be tolerable in urban environments. On laser, it is just a ticket notifier if even that.
Thanks man! I was reading reviews on the R3 and i see a lot of people complaining about it breaking, usually the speaker goes or the entire unit dies :/ are they that fragile? It's going to have to survive a flight across the pond and if its DOA im screwed
Geo, welcome aboard !!
Thanks mate!

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Go with the R3. It's a very small percentage that have issues. The R3 is top tier range and sensitivity. It's essentially a R7 without arrows.
Welcome to the forum. Do some reading and be sure and participate in the conversations .
Post automatically merged:

Thanks man! I was reading reviews on the R3 and i see a lot of people complaining about it breaking, usually the speaker goes or the entire unit dies :/ are they that fragile? It's going to have to survive a flight across the pond and if its DOA im screwed

Thanks mate!

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Go with the R3. It's a very small percentage that have issues. The R3 is top tier range and sensitivity. It's essentially a R7 without arrows.
Welcome to the forum. Do some reading and be sure and participate in the conversations .
Post automatically merged:
Thank you for your feedback! Yeah i thought that was the case.... No one comments saying it's working fine for 3 years but if it dies then someone will surely 1 star it.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Thanks mate!

I have had my R3 almost 2 and 1/2 years (July 2018), and I have not had any issues or problems with my R3. It has been a very reliable and strong performer. I also recommend the R3. I think it is the best value in a high performance radar detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have had my R3 almost 2 and 1/2 years (July 2018), and I have not had any issues or problems with my R3. It has been a very reliable and strong performer. I also recommend the R3. I think it is the best value in a high performance radar detector.

Has the BSM improved on it? I usually drive urban and note that we only have Kband radars and laser here so im gonna have to keep k band wide open to catch radars.
I purchased a refurbished R3 on Ebay for a family member as a Christmas present. I spent $199 plus shipping. It works well and is in great shape.
That's great to hear guys, thank you for your feedback!

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Geo4728 - Thank you for completing the radar recommendation form. The feedback has been a consensus for the R3 which as @RadarScout mentioned is "essentially a R7 without arrows".
Indeed, the council has spoken. Keep waiting for someone to oppose but it seems everyone loves their R3! I will begin the process to import one. Hopefully I'll come back with results and tests so i can help others locally.
Thanks again guys!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Thanks mate!
I think over all the failure rate is probably low. I used mine daily for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Go for it!

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Has the BSM improved on it? I usually drive urban and note that we only have Kband radars and laser here so im gonna have to keep k band wide open to catch radars.

That's great to hear guys, thank you for your feedback!

I have kept my R3 on firmware 1.50 as the BSM filtering is good to very good in my opinion on that firmware. I never upgraded to the two subsequent firmwares after 1.50. I face a good bit of K-band too, and I keep the K-band sensitivity at 100% most of the time even in city and urban environments.

The BSM filtering on the R3 isn’t quite as good as the Max360c or V1G2 that I own, but it is still good to very good in my opinion. I refer to my R3 as a pleasant beast. It is pretty pleasant while on standby, but it gives me beastly performance against the radar threats that I face in the USA.

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have kept my R3 on firmware 1.50 as the BSM filtering is good to very good in my opinion on that firmware. I never upgraded to the two subsequent firmwares after 1.50. I face a good bit of K-band too, and I keep the K-band sensitivity at 100% most of the time even in city and urban environments.

The BSM filtering on the R3 isn’t quite as good as the Max360c or V1G2 that I own, but it is still good to very good in my opinion. I refer to my R3 as a pleasant beast. It is pretty pleasant while on standby, but it gives me beastly performance against the radar threats that I face in the USA.

Damn.... If you keep it on 100% and still find it ok then I'm sure it's not giving you more issues than my 18y old Whistler haha...
Thanks again for your feedback!

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You are welcome. One of the nice features of the Uniden R series detectors is the Advanced mode where you can dial back sensitivity on the different bands in 10% increments down to 30% if needed. On K-band the R3 is still pretty awesome at 40-50% in advanced mode if the K-band noise gets bothersome.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't go down below K=50% on the R3. But that should be plenty of range.

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well boys, im not even gonna say "hope it's the right one" . I know it's the right one considering the cheers this guy had from all of you!
Thank you all again for all your replies and for taking time out of your holidays to help me out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201227-115739_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201227-115739_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 19

Geo4728

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Check it out boooys XD
2 weeks early haha
20210119_132703.jpg

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice and congrats! have fun with your new toy!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTF