Radar Detector Recommendation for nickfolessbmvp

nickfolessbmvp

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2021 Audi SQ5

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$1000

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
NYC - frequently travel to Central NJ + out to the Hamptons, as well as up to Berkshires/Southern VT

How do you drive?
Normally +10-20 above PSL

What is your daily drive like?
Live in the city so weekday might be around town but weekend normally means getting away

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
Haven’t had a car in a while but used to use radar detectors years ago

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
NYC, rt 78 in NJ, + the LIE

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
No

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
Just want something that I can plug in and tell me where LEO are without having to fuss with it or worry about it given where I drive.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Redline 360c.
Less fussing around, lots of automated feature to make it plug and drive.
Post automatically merged:

You can consider the Max 360c, Max 360, DualPro 360 if the Redline 360c is too pricy,

Last edited:

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Redline 360c.
Less fussing around, lots of automated feature to make it plug and drive.
Post automatically merged:

You can consider the Max 360c, Max 360, DualPro 360 if the Redline 360c is too pricy,
The answer to the red light and speed cams would be "yes" in NYC. He would also see MRCD/MRCT in same. I think it was @Heywood that did some MRCD tests with the Redline 360c and it failed badly. The Radenso ProM and the R7 did pretty good. My suggestion would be to buy one of these. Then, when Theia is released, sell it to buy Theia. In NY, he also needs to seriously consider laser protection.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ya. The R360C couldn’t detect MRCD with FW 1.4.
It couldn’t detect our MRCT cameras either.

The Pro-M and R7 can detect both MRCD and MRCT.

The Max 360C and Max360 can detect MRCD.... but can not detect MRCT.
The R-EX could detect MRCD... but could pick up our MRCT or Gatso.

If your specifically talking about NYC. It’s MRCT. There’s a difference between the 2.

Last edited:

DrHow

Going Plaid+ (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If “no fussing” is number one priority, you use built in (updatable) red light and fixed speed cam databases, plus are not a chronic red light runner, the who MRCT/CD may not be important to Op. The RL 360c is a excellent choice. This is based on RDF users who own it, use it as daily device. I currently do not own one. It has been shown to have top rated class range for drivers like OP who showed 20+ PSL as routine. Plus, it is easy to run, configure, not fool, around with. It even updates itself via WiFi. It has 360 awareness. Excellent mount, display info, good audio tone (not like back up beeper on a backhoe). 30 day money back guarantee. I do use the ER Max 360 platform (Max 360c, Max 360, GT 360). They may not have that outer space range for Uber high speed driving (looking for the rare far out instant on “IO” alert in low traffic running). That is why I lean towards the RL 360c based in RDF user tests, and actual street reports.

On the other hand, if one wants to have a “12 pack of Weber carburetor” of radar detectors (some consider this “fussing around“), maximum reaction time on K band, look at R7. I run this too. Especially when in very low traffic highway in states of SD, ND, NV. It’s penchant for BSM falsing, is a deal killer for my “no fussing“ zone daily use.

On the other hand... Many think there is a Goldilox zone of top tiered RD.m Valentine V1-G2. From BSM perspective, there is no “fussing around”. Vehicle Blind spot monitor filtering is as good as it gets, currently. Simple easy to understand situational awareness Features includes arrows (they invented). It is smaller, easy to tuck up high on windshield. While it does not have GPS, it has best in class non lock out ability to thwart many fixed false door openers while traveling on the highway (and metro). G2 has top in class Ka performance, excellent K band range. It can be updated via Bluetooth for new Valentine firmware anytime (Easy). Run it naked, or run it with one of the situational awareness enhancing third party apps. These apps (JBV1, Highway Radar, and V1 Driver) really are amazing with the G2 when doing a long distance power run at high speeds. Two integrate seemless with the G2. One even includes LEO speed trap heat map, and tracks all law enforcement aviation in route (and around) of travel). They also provide GPS based lockouts that are very specific, never locking out real police radar (which can happen with certain built in GPS systems). In addition to some of the integrated apps pointing out fixed and red light speed cameras, and ability to report police, Waze can be used to Find LEO speeding ticket systems.

IMO, if OP likes the RL 360c UI, looks, mount, brand, would work well. Gr8 choice.. It also has integrated app for added crowd source situational awareness.

R7 has longer term RDF reputation for maximum range performance. It’s display is larger than any of the 360 products. It does take more fiddling when running on trips encountering different situations. Primarily due to lower level of filtering out false alerts (even with sensitivity set down to as little as 18% of potential) for K band.

if you travel to VA, and intend on using a radar detector, RL 360c, G2 are immune from radar detector detectors they use (detectors are illegal). R7, according to testing is not totally immune. However, many say it is effective immune because its signal Can be picked up at close distance only.

@nickfolessbmvp Good luck with choosing.

Last edited:

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Any one looking for a great detector at a nice price. Look at the Uniden R3 at Best Buy today for $259. This price is good for today and tomorrow and you can pick it up at the store or have it shipped to you. NOT BAD!!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frjohn