BlackVue DR900X-2CH battery duration

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a BlackVue DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE. An installer used the BlackVue supplied power cable to get power directly from the car's battery. I normally only drive this car only on weekends and ideally would like the DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE to continue working in parking mode for 5-6 days, however all I am getting is three days before the DR900X-2CH shuts down. The power setting in the app is 11.8v & 22.8v. I called BlackVue support to see if there if there is someway to extend the duration before shutdown (for example adding a B-112 or B-124X battery pack) and the BlackVue tech said the DR900X is not compatible with these packs and that 3 days duration is normal.

Are there any work arounds to get 5-6 days of parking mode duration?

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a BlackVue DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE. An installer used the BlackVue supplied power cable to get power directly from the car's battery. I normally only drive this car only on weekends and ideally would like the DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE to continue working in parking mode for 5-6 days, however all I am getting is three days before the DR900X-2CH shuts down. The power setting in the app is 11.8v & 22.8v. I called BlackVue support to see if there if there is someway to extend the duration before shutdown (for example adding a B-112 or B-124X battery pack) and the BlackVue tech said the DR900X is not compatible with these packs and that 3 days duration is normal.
Yikes, don't do what you're doing now, you're going to kill your car battery. 12V lead acid batteries were NOT designed for deep discharge. They'll quickly sulfate and die.

Are there any work arounds to get 5-6 days of parking mode duration?
Run your camera off the mains when the car is parked for so long. Plug it into an AC-to-DC converter. Don't use batteries because you're just going to quickly kill them.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
+1! Why is that cam not compatible with the B-124 packs? With my BV 750-2ch I get around 50hrs with a B-124 and one expansion. The expansion added 30hrs. It's pricey but you can have 3 expansions and have 110hrs total

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah getting long term parking recording is tough. You may be able to get lucky running off your car battery, but you're going to run into a variety of issues. While I haven't tested it directly, based on what I've seen with various batteries and dashcams, I'd expect around 15 hours of record time with the DR900X/CM100LTE on a B-124x. (Power usage is a little higher with the DR900X/CM100LTE compared to the DR900S/WiFI.)

As for the B-124x not being compatible with the DR900X, that's not true.

You can either plug it into the cig. lighter output cable just like you'd use with the DR900S and it'll use the G sensor to flip in and out of parking mode, again just like the DR900S, or you can get an optional unspliced 3-wire parking mode power cable and you can connect the DR900X to that to get your 3-wire ignition triggered parking mode.

For the 3-wire cable, you can get the one for the Cellink Neo. It's the exact same thing for the B-124x, though I don't know if Blackvue sells that cable themselves which is why they'd say it's not compatible. I'm looking for a link to that cable, but I don't have one handy.

To get 5-6 days of power, you're going to need to get a bunch of expansion packs, not to mention drive for several hours to fully charge the batteries all back up.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yikes, don't do what you're doing now, you're going to kill your car battery. 12V lead acid batteries were NOT designed for deep discharge. They'll quickly sulfate and die.

Run your camera off the mains when the car is parked for so long. Plug it into an AC-to-DC converter. Don't use batteries because you're just going to quickly kill them.

Why would this damage the car's battery? Isn't the BlackVue shutting down long before such damage is possible? In the BlackVue app Firmware Settings, System: Battery Protection is ON, Low Voltage cut-off is: 11.8v & 22.8v
Post automatically merged:

+1! Why is that cam not compatible with the B-124 packs? With my BV 750-2ch I get around 50hrs with a B-124 and one expansion. The expansion added 30hrs. It's pricey but you can have 3 expansions and have 110hrs total

Not sure but I specifically asked if I could use either of the BlackVue battery packs and BlackVue Tech Support said they are not compatible with DR900X and even if they were compatible would not achieve a total 5-6 days duration. Maybe the compatibility issue is related to the DR900X not using the Power Magic Pro? I don't know.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why would this damage the car's battery? Isn't the BlackVue shutting down long before such damage is possible? In the BlackVue app Firmware Settings, System: Battery Protection is ON, Low Voltage cut-off is: 11.8v & 22.8v
11.8V is practically fully discharged. Even 12.4V is way too low for repeated use. You want to keep lead acid batteries above 80% SoC at nearly all times except when you go on long trips and leave the car at the airport.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not sure but I specifically asked if I could use either of the BlackVue battery packs and BlackVue Tech Support said they are not compatible with DR900X and even if they were compatible would not achieve a total 5-6 days duration. Maybe the compatibility issue is related to the DR900X not using the Power Magic Pro? I don't know.
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood which components you were looking for compatibility on?

Regarding the PMP, the DR900X has its own voltage management stuff built in so you no longer need the PMP to handle it for you. Now technically you could use them together if you want. Just have the PMP handle voltage management and shut it off within the DR900X. This could be nice if you want to use the PMP's parking mode on/off switch, for example. There's been different versions of the PMP I've seen that have different low voltage cut-off thresholds so I'm not sure if your PMP or DR900X will let you go lower. One may let you go lower (aka record longer), but you're going to run into battery longevity issues like @STS-134 is talking to the lower you go with the voltage cut-off.

If you reallllly want long term parking mode, you may want to look into a Thinkware system like the U1000. Their cloud sucks compared to the DR900X, but the long term parking mode is better thanks to their low powered capabilities. You'll lose buffered parking mode though unless you also pick up the optional radar module. That'll give you low powered and buffered parking mode up front (not in the rear), but it may be the best solution if long term parking mode is a bigger priority than the cloud stuff.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just an update that I recently installed a Battery Tender to the car while it remains parked for longer durations at home. This seems to be the lowest cost solution for the dashcam battery drainage issue. So far this is working out fine.

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's probably the best solution. If "plugging in" your car every week gets annoying, have you considered an external security camera aimed at the car? It'd be a bit more work to set up initially but then you wouldn't have to worry about it again, as long as you park in the same place every time.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's probably the best solution. If "plugging in" your car every week gets annoying, have you considered an external security camera aimed at the car? It'd be a bit more work to set up initially but then you wouldn't have to worry about it again, as long as you park in the same place every time.

Good suggestion. I have friends that have Ring (and similar) cameras and like them a lot.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
LOL, I plug in my car almost every day. And that's just a PHEV. When we get an EV to replace the second car, it will have to be plugged in regularly too.
Good suggestion. I have friends that have Ring (and similar) cameras and like them a lot.
I think that's a better suggestion simply because it's harder for someone to steal the entire camera and thus, all of the evidence. You can also store the data on something other than a small SD card, which means your SD card will last longer.

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
LOL, I plug in my car almost every day. And that's just a PHEV. When we get an EV to replace the second car, it will have to be plugged in regularly too.

I think that's a better suggestion simply because it's harder for someone to steal the entire camera and thus, all of the evidence. You can also store the data on something other than a small SD card, which means your SD card will last longer.
I get it's not the end of the world or anything, but one less thing to forget or have to deal with is always a bonus to me. Besides, unless you go through the trouble of installing a connector on the car somewhere, you still have to pop the hood, reach under it to pull the latch, and attach the battery tender to the battery terminals. And with my luck someone would trip over the cord and knock the positive clamp into the chassis and short the battery out or something.

hamoper

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Today I received a Blackvue DR900X to replace the DR900S which will go in the wife’s car. I have a Cellink B battery pack I was using for the 900S. I plan to use it for the X, although, I will need to swap out the cigarette plug because the S and X connection ends are different, probably due to the battery cutout voltage feature on the new 900X which I have shut off in the software setting.....

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761