V1G2 - is it bad to create these custom frequencies to block constant Acura MDX BSM false alerts?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My recollection is that running a V1G1 in Euro mode actually caused it to sweep a slightly larger frequency range of K-band. Not sure of the details.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
V1 can go down to 23.90x and has for many years. Euro mode might be the key for the Gen1's.

Gen2's go down to 23.908. (Without euro mode)

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
In V1 Connection app.
073C1D85-A3AC-46F2-AA94-32D7D573C501.jpeg

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Gen2 most certainly has Custom Frequencies in the V1 Connection app. That is what @Deadhead1971's screenshot is showing. The Gen1 doesn't have the ability to define a Custom Frequency range for K-band at all.

Furthermore, the actual K range for Gen2 is listed as 23.908-24.252.

Last edited:

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Gen2 most certainly has Custom Frequencies in the V1 Connection app. That is what @Deadhead1971 's screenshot is showing. The Gen1 doesn't have the ability to define a Custom Frequency range for K-band at all.

Furthermore, the actual K range for Gen2 is listed as 23.908-24.252.
You're right. I couldn't find that page when I looked last night. Where do you see the range listed like that? I'm looking at the online manual for gen2 and it only lists 24.050-24.250.
V1G2.png

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do not remember where we saw it. Perhaps in the FCC info.

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I do not remember where we saw it. Perhaps in the FCC info.
OK, with my curiosity up, I tested these on the bench. My 8 year old V1G2 responds from 24.025 to 24.270, with slightly reduced sensitivity at these extreme band edges(the last 1Mhz or so). My V1G2 responds from 24.489 to 24.2494. So technically it isn't within spec, but only 600KHz off isn't significant I would hope.

Granted this is only one sample for gen1 and gen2, but probably representative.

And before anyone asks, my source is good to 4KHz resolution with 10Hz accuracy at these frequencies. So, just because one stereo says that it can go to 12 on the volume, doesn't mean that is stronger than one that only goes to 10! The app is probably just saying this in software, not representative of the actual hardware. ;)

cihkal

Keep taking me off ignore? 😘
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure why they list it in the manual and FCC listing for 24.050, but I can only assume it's for some odd reason pertaining to what is relevant for USA.

Really makes no sense to me. But when the G1 was updated to 3.894 they extended K further down when in Euro mode, into the 23.950 range. This was noted as a feature, but most just focused on Junk-K Fighter at the time!

Beyond that, in real world I've picked up plenty of 23.9XX in various areas around Chicago for years with my G1 when I was experimenting with sweeps (3.894 Euro mode). As for the G2, it's the same general deal with the lower freq. K; I don't bother extending a K CS lower for daily driving because the MRCT cams near me behave and don't give a middle finger to the FCC (lowest operate freq. < 24.050).

I never understood why VR's information was "misleading", in quotes because it is to me due to my likely lack of understanding, unless listing lower is irrelevant for the FCC: 24.050 - 24.250 for USA K speed enforcement equipment are the confines of the enemy, and maybe the sniff test for the V1 covers bounds beyond its listed operating ranges?

Edit: The G1 (3.894 and above) and G2 do indeed scan below 24.000 GHz as per the manufacturer and [real-world] driving experiences by many. It's always a little confusing for those newly paying attention to the V1 since VR's info is not listed consistently, based on my understanding. Hey VR, you should help correct the confusion by providing clarifications with your listed information if it's conditional. Old news though!

Last edited:

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Really makes no sense to me. But when the G1 was updated to 3.894 they extended K further down when in Euro mode, into the 23.950 range. This was noted as a feature, but most just focused on Junk-K Fighter at the time!
Euro mode.....forgot to test that....

cihkal

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Euro mode.....forgot to test that....
Hey at least we know where to go, and it shouldn't be needed for the V1G2 as far as I remember. You should just be able to set a CS to the desired range; it does need to be set though along with any desired Ka. Maybe something has changed since 4.1018, or my memory is too fuzzy on this one. It sounded like you weren't able to scan sub 24.000 GHz on the G2?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My V1G2 responds from 24.489 to 24.2494.
Did you set Custom Frequencies; or are you seeing what happens before setting the range specifically?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Aren't there some Redflex low power K band in the US that run at 23.950 and a bit higher?

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

Am I somehow the only person who is confused by that number?
yea I saw that but didn’t bat an eye. :mmmsmug: I also saw the 8-year old G2 referenced as well.:mmmhmm:

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

yea I saw that but didn’t bat an eye. :mmmsmug: I also saw the 8-year old G2 referenced as well.:mmmhmm:
Actually I just checked the version number it is 14 years old(3.856)! But still beating everything on K & X IO/QT. That is if you can put up with all the BSMs... absolutely no filters! That is the reason I got the Gen 2. My third RD is only 12 years old. It is version 3.872.

OK, so I tried the CF settings on the V1G2. Indeed it does extend the range down to 23.908! It does not extend the upper range to 24.252. That stayed the same at 24.2494.
I did not try Euro mode on the Gen2. Seemed pointless as the CFs worked as indicated.

I did try the Euro mode on the Gen1. It took the lower end down to 24.022 while dropping the upper limit to 24.268. Seemed like it just shifted the window down by 2-3 MHz.

So, I stand corrected. The Gen2 will go that low if you use CFs. From the discussions, I would assume that it does this with no loss of any other performance. The IO/QT remained its same lame delayed output regardless of any frequency.

cihkal

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Actually I just checked the version number it is 14 years old(3.856)! But still beating everything on K & X IO/QT. That is if you can put up with all the BSMs... absolutely no filters! That is the reason I got the Gen 2. My third RD is only 12 years old. It is version 3.872.

OK, so I tried the CF settings on the V1G2. Indeed it does extend the range down to 23.908! It does not extend the upper range to 24.252. That stayed the same at 24.2494.
I did not try Euro mode on the Gen2. Seemed pointless as the CFs worked as indicated.

I did try the Euro mode on the Gen1. It took the lower end down to 24.022 while dropping the upper limit to 24.268. Seemed like it just shifted the window down by 2-3 MHz.

So, I stand corrected. The Gen2 will go that low if you use CFs. From the discussions, I would assume that it does this with no loss of any other performance. The IO/QT remained its same lame delayed output regardless of any frequency.
Ah yeah, that makes sense with your findings on that era of a G1. It doesn't have the extended lower range of K that was added to Euro mode in 3.894 and above.

Glad to see the G2 does indeed go down as low as the app lists, would be a bummer if some odd bug came up lol.

Thanks again for the testing!

WildOne

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah yeah, that makes sense with your findings on that era of a G1. It doesn't have the extended lower range of K that was added to Euro mode in 3.894 and above.

Glad to see the G2 does indeed go down as low as the app lists, would be a bummer if some odd bug came up lol.

Thanks again for the testing!
So, other than "mistuned" radar guns, is there any reason to search below 24.050? Is there a known threat that lives down there normally? I may run for awhile with this lower limit to see what I pick up.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eem29