The risk comes from the new firmware of R7

lageass

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
My English may not be accurate. I am in China. 133 and 129 firmware, some K-band threats are not detected. I turned off all filters. At the same location, the threat can be detected by the version 124 of firmware R7.
It's a loss to trade risk for quietness. I want to have a reliable firmware, reduce the risk of filtering, or put them in the filter.

drtoddw

Always driving at a safe and prudent speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, since you say that previous firmware 124 worked well, and Uniden thankfully allows users to install previous versions of their firmware, I think that's what I'd do. Risk assessment is a personal endeavor, but personally I'll take a little K-band noise to avoid possibly not picking up legitimate radar.
@Marty K asks some very good questions if you want to try to figure out why the detector misses "threats".

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My English may not be accurate. I am in China. 133 and 129 firmware, some K-band threats are not detected. I turned off all filters. At the same location, the threat can be detected by the version 124 of firmware R7.
It's a loss to trade risk for quietness. I want to have a reliable firmware, reduce the risk of filtering, or put them in the filter.
On 1.33 you’ll need to change the K band scan range to Extended. This allows the detector to scan the lower 23.9xx frequencies. 1.24 did this in K Wide and 1.29 didn’t scan that low at all.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@lageass , can you give us more details?
What frequency?
What radar units?

It's possible that Uniden changed the "base filtering" that's present on most detectors that you can't turn off.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You guys realize he’s in China right? As for picking stuff up on 1.24.... and not on 1.33?
Well there was an issue with MRCD/ MRCT... where it would falsely identify it as K band 70% of the time.
Once the newer FW came out... the K band misidentification stopped, but you list all that range... even if it was messed up.

So it is very possible that the source could of been a modulated source the whole time.
The other odd part is I just tested MRCD with the R7, also the R3, and tge R7 did well did pretty good. The R3 so so

No misidentifications. Range was pretty good.
The bigger issue was more with the R3 than the R7.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Be interesting to see what they use there
I've never actually seen an LEO pull someone over for speeding in China. Although I'm sort of tempted to get a windshield mount RD so I can use it the next time I'm there and see if I can pick up anything interesting.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never actually seen an LEO pull someone over for speeding in China. Although I'm sort of tempted to get a windshield mount RD so I can use it the next time I'm there and see if I can pick up anything interesting.
That would suck if there was some type of law that makes it a felony to use one. BUBBA: watcha in prison for Guy; using a radar detector... who chow hall goes quite in awww.. lol

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That would suck if there was some type of law that makes it a felony to use one. BUBBA: watcha in prison for Guy; using a radar detector... who chow hall goes quite in awww.. lol
RDs are legal in China, LJs are illegal. Although if you JTK properly, no one should even know you have one. But as I've said, I've never seen LEOs doing speed enforcement in China.

Electro

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

When I visited the only thing allowed for Foreigners to rent was bicycles?

drtoddw

Always driving at a safe and prudent speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Electro

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
:) I remember reading about speed enforcement on some bike trails. Recently read a review of a class 3 electric bike with a top speed of 28.

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use R7 in China and have the same issue.
Purchased a R7 some weeks ago. Initially it was running firmware 1.33, it was quite good, except miss some K band threat. However, I also have a R1 and alert those threat pretty good.
Then I upgraded my R7 to 1.35, running with K band on and MRCD on, turning off all the filter. Still no magic. When encounter the same kind of thread, it alert only 50 meters ahead, or not alert at all.
Finally, I downgraded to 1.24, turning K band and MRCD on, to run the same test again. It finally works! It start alert about 700 - 800 meters ahead, and never miss it. However, I noticed the frequency changed every second.

The threat I encounter might be some sort of narrow beam radar, which is widely used in our region. Maybe it emit a modulated signal like FMCW, higher version of firmware regard it as an interfere, so it is filtered by its internal filter.

Although I enjoy the refined alert sound and other expert setting in higher version firmware, 1.24 is more reliable to use in our region. I'm not sure whether Uniden will do more research on FMCW modulated radar, it might be a threat for international uses. I hope Uniden could provide an option for user, letting them decide how to deal with its internal filter. For example, manually turn off its internal filter, or filtered out only weak signal, or just mute it. (Similar to the new K block feature in 1.35 that has 4 option: On, Weak, Mute, Off)

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I use R7 in China and have the same issue.
Purchased a R7 some weeks ago. Initially it was running firmware 1.33, it was quite good, except miss some K band threat. However, I also have a R1 and alert those threat pretty good.
Then I upgraded my R7 to 1.35, running with K band on and MRCD on, turning off all the filter. Still no magic. When encounter the same kind of thread, it alert only 50 meters ahead, or not alert at all.
Finally, I downgraded to 1.24, turning K band and MRCD on, to run the same test again. It finally works! It start alert about 700 - 800 meters ahead, and never miss it. However, I noticed the frequency changed every second.

The threat I encounter might be some sort of narrow beam radar, which is widely used in our region. Maybe it emit a modulated signal like FMCW, higher version of firmware regard it as an interfere, so it is filtered by its internal filter.

Although I enjoy the refined alert sound and other expert setting in higher version firmware, 1.24 is more reliable to use in our region. I'm not sure whether Uniden will do more research on FMCW modulated radar, it might be a threat for international uses. I hope Uniden could provide an option for user, letting them decide how to deal with its internal filter. For example, manually turn off its internal filter, or filtered out only weak signal, or just mute it. (Similar to the new K block feature in 1.35 that has 4 option: On, Weak, Mute, Off)
Sounds like a new type of threat the guys at Radenso might be interested in testing out for their upcoming Theia platform.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds like a new type of threat the guys at Radenso might be interested in testing out for their upcoming Theia platform.
Chinese Customs: What is the reason for your visit?
Jon: Business
CC: What is your business, and where are you going?
Jon: I develop the worlds best law enforcement traffic countermeasures, I'm here to record your newest devices so my AI can defeat them.
CC: Sir, please step into this room, a security member will be with you shortly.

10 years later.... Everybody: Jon, can you hear us, you have been gone for so long...

takheng

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe it's not a new type of threat. I've heard that some speed sign in U.S. also emit a FMCW signal, which will be hard for Uniden R series or other RD to detect. See this thread:
The signal I encountered might resemble to those speed sign in US. My Uniden R7 running on fw 1.33 acts similar when I encountered this type of threat.

I know that many RD user in US tends to ignore those speed sign because it will not be a real threat for them. But what if there is a camera connect to the speed sign, that when the car overspeed, the speed sign will trigger the camera to capture an image of the overspeed car? It could be a potential threat then.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49