dashcamcroatia

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
BlackVue DR900X 2CH - 4K Front camera with 1080 Full HD Rear camera

Overview

One of the best 4K cameras in the market with H.265 HEVC compression

Main specifications
  • Front cam - 8 megapixel CMOS sensor / 4K Ultra High Definition (3840x2160 @30 FPS) ultra-wide 162 – degree.
  • Rear cam – 2,1 megapixel SONY STARVIS sensor / Full HD (1920x1080 @30FPS) wide at 139 degree.
  • Video codec – H.265 HEVC, H.264 AVC
  • 2,4 / 5 GHz high speed Wi-Fi.
  • GPS receiver
Performance at day is excellent with good viewing angle diagonal 162°, horizontal 136° and vertical 77°, and rear camera diagonal 139°, horizontal 116°, and vertical 61°. While recording front camera can use different frame rates 4K UHD (3840×2160) @30fps (Extreme), Full HD (1920×1080) @60fps and Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps, and rear camera can record at frame rate Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps. Both camera recording providing H264 encoding, but it has I high video encoding H265 with improved image quality and lower file size. H265 have difficulties on playback, but with VLC player I didn't have problems, you can use the official BlackVue app which is OK.

At night is a different story, at good lightning licence plates, are visible but on poor lightning and if another car is driving fast it's hard to read the licence plate.

Wi-Fi connection via the app is very fast because 5GHz speed is significantly faster than 2,4 GHz which typically transfers file in approximately 30 seconds for videos of the front camera and 15 seconds for videos of the rear camera. Of course, you can take MicroSD from the camera and transfer it via a USB adapter, but WiFi is the easiest way. BlackVue is promoting their MicroSD cards for better transfer rates and less overheating problems.

BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K is a significant update from DR900S model for overheating issues it has more holes on the metal body for heat dispersion and it has declared Operation temperature from -20 °C to 70 °C and storage temperature from -20°C to 90°C and it has built-in high temp cut off at 75°C, so if You live in the high-temperature country there should be no problem with recording and using dash camera.

Notes

In box, you get everything you need for camera installation, and the camera is a great DIY project. It took me about 1 hour but just I was wiring coaxial cable through my cars back door wiring, never the less installation is easy. There are many YTB installation videos. In the box is two options power cord for lighter and Hardwiring power cable to connect dash camera to a car battery. Dash camera has integrated parking mode timer to protect the car battery from discharging, and the setting is easy to change ina a BlackVue app

Keep in mind if you are using windows computer you can not start the video with every player. I am using VLC which is free and has good support for H265 codec, and videos are played without studdering.

When buying SD cards use recommended cards from BlackVue but there was mention on the forum that there were no problems with Samsung Endurance Pro sd cards. Think in front and buy 128 Gb cards, because 64 Gb that I have is too little, and of course, every one month format SD card in-camera setting for best performance.

If you are thinking to use parking mode you have to buy one of the parkin accessories, the battery pack is a great solution. I am using B-124X which is big pack battery with 6000 mAh which I fit in the glove compartment. After roughly 45 minutes of driving it is full and it can provide up to 48 hours of parking mode recording. The camera is only recording when the sensor detects moving in front of the camera.

P.S. Please forgive me if I forgot to mention something. If You have something to ask me or tell me for correction let me know.

Unboxing Video

Unboxing video

Videos and Frame Grabs

Sunny day front cam

Sunny day rear cam

Foggy day front cam

Foggy day rear cam

Night front cam outside town

Night rear cam outside town

Front cam night at town

Rear cam night at town

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Yeah 4K and H.265 can be demanding on your computer and definitely works best on newer/faster computers. :)

Have you run parking mode tests with the B-124x and your DR900X? I haven't been able to achieve anything close to 48 hours of parked recording time with it. Do you mean if you run a B-124E expansion as well, shut off the WiFi, and record with the front cam only? Doing that I think you can get close to 48 hours, but not with a B-124x alone.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose