BlackVue DR900X-2CH/CM100LTE rapid connect/disconnect

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
IMG_4659.PNG

This morning my BlackVue DR900X-2CH/CM100LTE went through a series of six disconnects all within 16 minutes. The dashcam is currently set-up to connect to my home WIFI (for when the car is in my garage) as well as via a SIM installed in the CM100LTE. I do not know if the disconnection cycling was on the WIFI or SIM side.

Any thoughts as to what caused this?

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
View attachment 167095
This morning my BlackVue DR900X-2CH/CM100LTE went through a series of six disconnects all within 16 minutes. The dashcam is currently set-up to connect to my home WIFI (for when the car is in my garage) as well as via a SIM installed in the CM100LTE. I do not know if the disconnection cycling was on the WIFI or SIM side.

My 900s does that all the time. Maybe not six consecutive times but it will just disconnect for no apparent reason and then reconnect. I wish I had the answer. Those guys have pretty good customer service why don’t you try calling them and asking them.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My 900s does that all the time. Maybe not six consecutive times but it will just disconnect for no apparent reason and then reconnect. I wish I had the answer. Those guys have pretty good customer service why don’t you try calling them and asking them.

I called tech support and they noticed that in the BlackVue app, Firmware settings, WIFI, WiFi Band was set to 5GH instead of 2.4GHz,

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
View attachment 167095

If you take a cell phone or laptop to the same location, and measure your WiFi signal strength, what is it? There are apps you can use to get the WiFi signal strength in dBm.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I called tech support and they noticed that in the BlackVue app, Firmware settings, WIFI, WiFi Band was set to 5GH instead of 2.4GHz,
It happens to me when it’s hooked up to my hotspot which is a cell phone. I don’t know what gigahertz that is.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you take a cell phone or laptop to the same location, and measure your WiFi signal strength, what is it? There are apps you can use to get the WiFi signal strength in dBm.
I would need to double check but my garage is attached to the house, close to the WIFI router. Generally WIFI coverage in the garage is quite good (many bars).
Post automatically merged:

It happens to me when it’s hooked up to my hotspot which is a cell phone. I don’t know what gigahertz that is.
Apparently there are two issues.
(1) BlackVue prefers 2.4 GHz over 5GHz
(2) the setting (noted above) must match the actual SSID frequency being connected to, but does not change automatically.

My WIFI transmitter simultaneously transmits two WIFI SSIDs, one for 2.4GHZ, one for 5GHz. BlackVue was apparently connecting to my 2.4GHz SSID but was set in the settings (above) to 5GHz.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would need to double check but my garage is attached to the house, close to the WIFI router. Generally WIFI coverage in the garage is quite good (many bars).
Post automatically merged:

Apparently there are two issues.
(1) BlackVue prefers 2.4 GHz over 5GHz
(2) the setting (noted above) must match the actual SSID frequency being connected to, but does not change automatically.

My WIFI transmitter simultaneously transmits two WIFI SSIDs, one for 2.4GHZ, one for 5GHz. BlackVue was apparently connecting to my 2.4GHz SSID but was set in the settings (above) to 5GHz.
Then if the SSIDs are identical, you need to figure out the 5 GHz signal strength, not the 2.4 GHz signal strength. If it's weak, a dual band capable client will hop over to 2.4 GHz but it sounds like the BlackVue doesn't handle that use case well. That's why I run 3 SSIDs, 2 on each band: one SSID per band that's unique to the band (i.e. <my SSID>-2.4 or <my SSID>-5) and another that's identical on both bands. That way, I can force a client to connect to either band if I want to, by telling it to connect to the unique SSID, or have it roam between bands by telling it to use the SSID that uses both bands.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Then if the SSIDs are identical, you need to figure out the 5 GHz signal strength, not the 2.4 GHz signal strength. If it's weak, a dual band capable client will hop over to 2.4 GHz but it sounds like the BlackVue doesn't handle that use case well. That's why I run 3 SSIDs, 2 on each band: one SSID per band that's unique to the band (i.e. <my SSID>-2.4 or <my SSID>-5) and another that's identical on both bands. That way, I can force a client to connect to either band if I want to, by telling it to connect to the unique SSID, or have it roam between bands by telling it to use the SSID that uses both bands.
My two SSIDs are similar, not identical. BlackVue recommends 2.4 GHz if that’s possible. The BlackVue app setting under Firmware Settings, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Band needs to accurately reflect the SSID frequency the BlackVue is actually connecting to.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761