One Week Review of R7 vs R3 Side by Side. LEO & BSM

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@DC Fluid thanks again, I’d rather have a bit more chatter and a bit more range/features so based on your words and others’ I will absolutely be picking up the R7.
I’m excited! Soon enough the tax returns will be back and I’ll be running ALPs too, it’s gonna feel good to finally be NEAR FULL protection. PSL? L-O-L.

Endlessly appreciative of everybody who’s helped.
I too rock the R7 - ALP for full protection.
Extremely pleased.

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
based on everybody's recommendation, I went ahead and picked up a used R7 for $350 and just updated to 1.35. Honestly, i find it to be pretty quiet so far but have only run it for an hour or so. Ill update with my further findings.

thanks for the help, everybody! now I just need a set of ALP's...

MassGTI

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
An update for everybody...the R7 is HANDS DOWN quieter than the R3 for me. Last time I updated the R3 was 6 months ago, but my r7 is near silent.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I actually picked up an R7 (1.33) this week to try out and immediately returned it after about 80 miles. I couldn't believe how much noisier it was than my R3 in regards to BSM falses. I completely understand now what people mean when they say the R7 is chatty. I was averaging a false every 2 miles with K at 40%, all the filters on, rear sensitivity dialed to 60%, and rear horn muted. This is absolutely nothing like what my R3 displays on 1.50 (Advanced 80% or Highway, all filters on), which might have a few BSM falses every drive, with the occasional lengthy one that won't go away.

Interestingly, I tried both 1.53 and 1.54 on the R3 and felt it was a step in the wrong direction with BSM filtering as well. For instance, I never see Mazda falses with 1.50. On both later firmwares, they started appearing. Revert firmware back and they're gone. 1.50 seems to be the sweet spot for the R3.

Needless to say, the R3 on 1.50 will be staying for now. It's what I already own and is what I am so used to by now.
You nailed it! I installed FW 1.50 on my R1 and it is much better than 1.54 filtering out the BSM pollution. Quiet as a church mouse this AM, with zero GM BSMs punching through!

GTO_04

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You nailed it! I installed FW 1.50 on my R1 and it is much better than 1.54 filtering out the BSM pollution. Quiet as a church mouse this AM, with zero GM BSMs punching through!

GTO_04
I think you have a magical R3 @GTO_04! lol

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Remember R7 30% has about same sensitivity as R3 50%.
Not always apples to apples.

Yeah, but with the R3 on 1.54 with K at 50% it’s a lot chattier than R7 on 1.35 with K at 100%. So if you want to compare the 2 firmware levels matter.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, but with the R3 on 1.54 with K at 50% it’s a lot chattier than R7 on 1.35 with K at 100%. So if you want to compare the 2 firmware levels matter.
Yes it does matter.
I only wanted to point out that regardless of firmwares, the sensitivity scale of R7 and R3 are not equal.
I wouldn't run my R3 for protection on City mode, only to shut it up in a K hell hole.
R7 on City is very strong, matching an R3 set at 30-40%, easily.
The only way to compare BSM & door opener filtering on an equal level, would be to first run your 2 detectors against a radar gun test setup, and find the % settings that 2 different detectors are equal on reception abilities.
Then you could use those settings for BSM/opener comparison.
A person could use a notebook with all the "tuning" notes that details what detector, on what firmware, equals what sensitivities compared to other detectors.
A possible endless loop of information gathering....
Sometimes we get a little to anal about it, but it is a passionate hobby for many.:thumbsup:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49