New R7 owner needs settings help

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you and awesome on the R7 with blendmount being fantastic. I have it ordered and already received an email stating it has shipped, anxious to get it installed.
Post automatically merged:

Final settings as of today. I tried upping the K to 50% and started getting a few falses, I think if there was 45% it would be perfect. So on my way home today I dropped the rear K down to 60% and put the K at 50%, no falses. I figured I would be better off raising the K% back up and dropping the rear a touch so that way I would have a little higher percentage overall on K. Sound OK? Still love it and can't wait to get some more real hits with it.

Sounds good as long as you’re happy with it and your detections are providing enough time for you to adjust your speed accordingly. Keep in mind (and you may already be aware) that the rear balance setting affects all bands, not just K band. So 60% rear balance combined with 100% Ka sensitivity will only give you 60% sensitivity for Ka on the rear horn. That’s still a good amount of sensitivity for the R7, but just so you’re aware. You’re doing well by continuing to play around with your settings until you find the sweet spot that works for you and keeps you protected. Nice job!

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you and awesome on the R7 with blendmount being fantastic. I have it ordered and already received an email stating it has shipped, anxious to get it installed.

Final settings as of today. I tried upping the K to 50% and started getting a few falses, I think if there was 45% it would be perfect. So on my way home today I dropped the rear K down to 60% and put the K at 50%, no falses. I figured I would be better off raising the K% back up and dropping the rear a touch so that way I would have a little higher percentage overall on K. Sound OK? Still love it and can't wait to get some more real hits with it.
Just to remind you that Adv [email protected] 40% equals or beats most other detectors highway settings, with K Filter and TSF both on.
You could run 30 or 40% K and up the rear to 70-80% which is still monster range for Ka in the rear.
Nothing wrong with 60% rear at those settings either.
Since you're getting the rear BSM on K your playing around with the right settings.
IMHO I don't think you're vunerable on any frequency band with rear horn at 60% or above.
Certainly sounds like your getting dialed in. :waycool:

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@mattguy10 and DC fluid, thank you for informing on the rear balance. Not sure why I thought it was only K rear that was being adjusted. So If I can run the rear balance at say 80% and drop my K back down to 40% with out falses I would be safer overall? Thanks again, damn after playing with so many settings in the last few days they all seem to become a blurr....haha. Nothing better than very helpful forum members like you when a newbie needs help, no matter what hobby it is!! Thanks again fellas, much appreciated.

Update: I adjusted K back to 40% and rear balance back up to 80%. If it's quiet in the morning, I'll leave it there, if not I'll drop the balance 10% at a time and see what happens. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@mattguy10 and DC fluid, thank you for informing on the rear balance. Not sure why I thought it was only K rear that was being adjusted. So If I can run the rear balance at say 80% and drop my K back down to 40% with out falses I would be safer overall? Thanks again, damn after playing with so many settings in the last few days they all seem to become a blurr....haha. Nothing better than very helpful forum members like you when a newbie needs help, no matter what hobby it is!! Thanks again fellas, much appreciated.
It all depends on how you view rear alerts on your threat meter.
Some like to know about all signals, in all directions, all the time.
Some like to only hear alerts that are immediately in front and soon to be encountered.
I run my Advanced @30% front. Run 80% rear simply to get a better perceived balance when going by a radar signal on K and Ka. I believe my arrows are more accurate with less bounce or confusion. Also it gets annoying after passing the source, and it's no longer a threat, and have minutes of rear alert beeping away. 80% is hardly perceptable range loss on the rear from 100%.
Many run 70 or 60%. Just get a feel for it with use. Run as high as a % as you can and still enjoy the detector.
If you end up 40F/70R for a quiet ride you're still rocking top notch levels of protection.
Keep City Mode in reserve for very congested areas or heavy BSM rich traffic.

Edit: I only lowered my k Adv to 30% yesterday after running 40% for the last year.

Last edited:

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Update: I adjusted K back to 40% and rear balance back up to 80%. If it's quiet in the morning, I'll leave it there, if not I'll drop the balance 10% at a time and see what happens. Thanks again!!

Yeah give that a shot. Here’s why: rear balance works like this: if you have K set at 40% and rear balance set at 80%, you’re asking the rear horn to alert at 80% of that 40%.

So for your current setup it’d be:

50%(K band) x 60%(rear) = 30% K band sensitivity for the rear

What you’re going to try adjusting to:

40%(K band) x 80%(rear) = 32% K band sensitivity for the rear

So in other words, by increasing your rear balance to 80% and changing your K band sensitivity from 50% to 40%, you’ll end up with 2% more sensitivity on K band for the rear which shouldn’t make too much of a difference as far as false alerts go, but you’ll increase your rear Ka sensitivity from 60% to 80% since you have Ka sensitivity set at 100%.

Here’s a table that one of our generous members (sorry forgot who this was) made when the R7 first received the rear balance setting. You can quickly determine what your rear sensitivity will be based on your band sensitivity level and rear balance setting.

IMG_0863.jpg

It really is just a matter of playing around with all of the settings once you have a good understanding of how they work and how each one affects the performance of the detector. Also, not all settings will accommodate every location that you may drive in. So while a lower sensitivity level may work perfectly fine on flat and straight roads, that same sensitivity level might end up in a roadside chat on a curvy/hilly road lined with trees.

Last edited:

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah give that a shot. Here’s why: rear balance works like this: if you have K set at 40% and rear balance set at 80%, you’re asking the rear horn to alert at 80% of that 40%.

So for your current setup it’d be:

50%(K band) x 60%(rear) = 30% K band sensitivity for the rear

What you’re going to try adjusting to:

40%(K band) x 80%(rear) = 32% K band sensitivity for the rear

So in other words, by increasing your rear balance to 80% and changing your K band sensitivity from 50% to 40%, you’ll end up with 2% more sensitivity on K band for the rear which shouldn’t make too much of a difference as far as false alerts go, but you’ll increase your rear Ka sensitivity from 60% to 80% since you have Ka sensitivity set at 100%.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@olemil, yes 70% should be fine as well
Great thank you again!!!

Well it looks like my sweet/totally quiet spot is K40% and rear balance at 70%. I tried the rear balance at 80% this morning with K still at 40% and was getting some falses, not terrible mind you but popped up every 3-4 minutes. Dropped it back to 70% and completely quiet the rest of the way to work and all the way home. Even at 70% rear I'm sure it still has superior rear coverage compared to my Max3 with no rear horn. Guess I'm done for now and can't wait to get in a longer road trip this weekend so see what happens. Thanks again everyone!!!

Last edited:

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I'm going to invert my settings from K70 rear50, and try your setup..

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great thank you again!!!

Well it looks like my sweet/totally quiet spot is K40% and rear balance at 70%. I tried the rear balance at 80% this morning with K still at 40% and was getting some falses, not terrible mind you but popped up every 3-4 minutes. Dropped it back to 70% and completely quiet the rest of the way to work and all the way home. Even at 70% rear I'm sure it still has superior rear coverage compared to my Max3 with no rear horn. Guess I'm done for now and can't wait to get in a longer road trip this weekend so see what happens. Thanks again everyone!!!

Great! Glad you got it dialed in [emoji4]

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@olemil
ran k50 rear70 for a very free and quiet ride this morning! (Florida)
Best of luck!

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@olemil
ran k50 rear70 for a very free and quiet ride this morning! (Florida)
Best of luck!
Great!! I'm glad you had good luck right out of the gate. I'm still playing around with my settings, tweaking it here and there trying to get the most out of K band with out having falses. Today on my way home I dropped the rear percentage down to 60% from 70% which allowed me to raise the K band up to 60% from 40%. Still quiet all the way home. I tried raising the K up to 70% but started getting falses from my BSM's. Oh here is a pic of my blendmount that came today. Of course I had to install it asap. Very well built mount, well engineered and it's nice being able to get the RD perfectly level versus trial and error with the suction cup. Yes it is pricey but I think well worth the money. Keep us posted on your R7, always anxious to hear other peoples experiences.

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John RD