New R7 owner needs settings help

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I finally made a few trips locally with my new R7, everything works great except the constant false alerts (even out on country roads with no interference's around. I'm sure I need to tweak a few settings but not sure where to start. My main falses are K band (rear) 24.160ghz with a signal strength of 3 dots and K band front but mainly rear 24.168ghz with a signa; of 1-2 dots, this was running in highway mode. City mode was quiet as a church mouse except close range door openers at stores. I am using this in a 2019 Jeep Cherokee limited (yes I know strike one) which I even turned off my bsm's with no change on falses. I also tried using Ka segmented 2,5,6,8 which made no difference either.
Here are my current settings, any advice on how to quiet this down will be much appreciated. I really hate to trade RD's again after just getting this yesterday....lol. Thanks again!!

expert
highway
rear balance 50%
GPS on
speed camera off
redlight camera off
rlc Q-ride off
ka freq voice on
X band off
K band on
ka band on
laser on
K pop off
MRCD off
KA pop off
K filter on
Ka filter on
TSF on
K block on
K wide
Ka wide
Signal priority
Mute mem: X&K
All threat on
auto mute on
Rear K mute off
ver 1.33

jws360

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am NO expert, but understand it is impossible to filter out all BSM and some store alerts. Although I suggest you refer to Vortex's suggested settings, which you already seem to have many of, I do not see you set the quiet ride under a certain speed setting. You can tell it to be quiet below certain speeds. I leave better answers to the more experienced here.

Electro

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Strange you are getting falses in the country? My R7 does not behave like that? I run rear K mute on.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am NO expert, but understand it is impossible to filter out all BSM and some store alerts. Although I suggest you refer to Vortex's suggested settings, which you already seem to have many of, I do not see you set the quiet ride under a certain speed setting. You can tell it to be quiet below certain speeds. I leave better answers to the more experienced here.
I do have quiet ride on but still don't think I should be getting so many falses. Yes I know I will never filter out all falses, just coming from my Max3 which was almost silent compared to the R7. Thanks for the input.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sure sounds like Jeep BSM. Right frequency too.
Follow your Jeep in another vehicle with R7 closely and see if getting close to back corner makes it worse.
Would I get falses even with the Jeep's BSM's shut off? I shut them off in both the city and out in the country, still falses on freq's mentioned above.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Would I get falses even with the Jeep's BSM's shut off? I shut them off in both the city and out in the country, still falses on freq's mentioned above.
Probably you can only turn off the alerts given to the driver, but the radar systems are still active.
Quite common especially with safety features.
You may have to try a drive with a fuse pulled if you can isolate that system and still be able to drive the vehicle.
If you follow your Jeep, you will easily tell by the front antenna acting like a Geiger counter as you near the vehicle.
Try turning off BSM doing that too and that will answer whether radar signal stays on or turns off.
You may have to turn rear K Mute on until you figure this out.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run most of your settings but with rear at 80%, quiet ride at 20mph and always in City mode. Still get decent on/off axis on K band (although Ka is my primary threat here). I rarely get false alerts and by that zero to one on a typical drive.

I long ago locked out false K signals so that helps. Also I didn't notice but if your running K at anywhere near 100% it's gonna pick up a lot. The K range left wide open is crazy. I still have not had any close calls running City mode for maybe the past year or so. I have little tolerance for false alerts.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Your Max 3 with front antenna only seems ideal for such a vehicle.
Post automatically merged:

Also, try Advanced K 30 or 40% settings instead of highway.
Highway is ridiculously sensitive.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the up dates everyone. Ok so I raised the rear back up to 80%, turned the K rear mute on and switched to advanced mode and set X=off, Ka=100% and K=60%. Guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow on my way to work, if still get a lot of falses I'll drop the K down some more. Worse comes to worse I can switch it over to city again and hope it still gives me enough protection, I don't speed that often anyways but nice to know it the R7 is working ok. Thanks again!!!

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
IME, Jeep BSM are rabid polluters.. like a quarter mile radius.
@DC Fluid makes great points on isolating your own vehicle's influence.
Affirming the above, I would adjust to Advanced mode w/rear and band attenuations, add Q-Ride, add Rear K Mute. I had a 4.3 mile, in city, KA detection this weekend.. The R7 antenna is impressive.
best of luck.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@olemil - I actually think your original settings might be fine except that you were running it in Hwy mode. I'd try keeping them the same, but try running Adv mode with K=50%. If that is still too chatty, try Adv mode with K=40%.

All that said, the fact that you are driving a Jeep may cause some issues. How long is your return window?

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
IME, Jeep BSM are rabid polluters.. like a quarter mile radius.
@DC Fluid makes great points on isolating your own vehicle's influence.
Affirming the above, I would adjust to Advanced mode w/rear and band attenuations, add Q-Ride, add Rear K Mute. I had a 4.3 mile, in city, KA detection this weekend.. The R7 antenna is impressive.
best of luck.
Figures on the Jeep thing, guess if I get another I better get one with out BSM's...lol. I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow after changing things I mentioned in my last post, if still a problem I guess the way it sounds I would still be safe in city mode by your results. As I said earlier, when in city mode I didn't have one false. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

@olemil - I actually think your original settings might be fine except that you were running it in Hwy mode. I'd try keeping them the same, but try running Adv mode with K=50%. If that is still too chatty, try Adv mode with K=40%.

All that said, the fact that you are driving a Jeep may cause some issues. How long is your return window?
Thank you for your advice. I'll see what happens with K set to 60% and if still chatty I'll back it down a little more. From what I have seen so far in this thread, sound's like the R7 even if toned down or running sity mode for that matter still has awesome range.
I have plenty of time to return the R7, got it at Best Buy and I think it is at least two weeks and prolably longer with the X-mas season. I really hate to return it, I really love every thing about it, in fact I am chomping at the bit to order a blendmount for it but I will wait to see if I can quiet it down first. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Figures on the Jeep thing, guess if I get another I better get one with out BSM's...lol. I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow after changing things I mentioned in my last post, if still a problem I guess the way it sounds I would still be safe in city mode by your results. As I said earlier, when in city mode I didn't have one false. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Thank you for your advice. I'll see what happens with K set to 60% and if still chatty I'll back it down a little more. From what I have seen so far in this thread, sound's like the R7 even if toned down or running sity mode for that matter still has awesome range.
I have plenty of time to return the R7, got it at Best Buy and I think it is at least two weeks and prolably longer with the X-mas season. I really hate to return it, I really love every thing about it, in fact I am chomping at the bit to order a blendmount for it but I will wait to see if I can quiet it down first. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!
FYI in most tests an R7 @ 40% K Advanced matches Highway Mode in 9 out of 10 detectors.
30 or 40 % is still excellent protection.
City mode is probably double the range of other city modes on average.
Don't doubt it if you need to reduce settings on K band with the R7 to achieve a Jeep marriage.

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
FYI in most tests an R7 @ 40% K Advanced matches Highway Mode in 9 out of 10 detectors.
30 or 40 % is still excellent protection.
City mode is probably double the range of other city modes on average.
Don't doubt it if you need to reduce settings on K band with the R7 to achieve a Jeep marriage.
I'm not surprised at your statement, many reviewers rage at the enormous sensitivity the R7 has. Probably with the R7 on City mode it would be comparable to the Max 3 I had running in highway mode. I will get it dialed in one way or another, too attached to it already to swap it for yet another brand/model, well unless it was theia. Thanks for all your help.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at your statement, many reviewers rage at the enormous sensitivity the R7 has. Probably with the R7 on City mode it would be comparable to the Max 3 I had running in highway mode. I will get it dialed in one way or another, too attached to it already to swap it for yet another brand/model, well unless it was theia. Thanks for all your help.

I preach this a lot on here but the R7 on city mode is very effective and quiet. The K band reduction is not linear, you don't lose half the range going from 100 to 50 or 40 to city mode. Play around with the settings. It takes some seat time with it to get comfortable. It took me a while but I love how quiet the R7 is set up now.

I have K threats and get decent alert range and very few falses. Also with my settings alerts on the R7 are well over 50% real alerts, maybe more like 80%. Though I never ever had a Ka false. Lot of leos in my parts though so I pretty much get a two or three legit hits on 10-15 mile round trips.

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yup, lower the K band sensitivity. Feels like a band aid but the range is still ridiculous at 50% and even City mode. It's also worth trying to move your detector placement around if you can. Maybe up at the roofline or just above the dash will help?

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, I think she is a keeper!!! I had K set to 60% this morning with all the other settings the way they were except I took rear K mute off and once again same chatty kathy. So I switched over to city, not one peep, well other than a instant/strong Ka hit right next to a small antique mall, I think there may have been some hiding there. So I got to work and lowered the K down to 40%, not a SINGLE chirp all the way home!! At first I thought maybe the RD wasn't working or my bsm's weren't so I switched over to highway and boom she chirped away again. Switched back to advanced nothing, I all but teared up....lol. So when I got home I bumped K back up to 50% so I'll see what happens in the morning. Again a huge thank you to everyone helping me out with this, it's people like you and this forum that makes hobbies(?) like this great!!!! Thank you again and I totally appreciate it. Oh and a final PS, I am going to order a blendmount right now just to celebrate.......lol.

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, I think she is a keeper!!! I had K set to 60% this morning with all the other settings the way they were except I took rear K mute off and once again same chatty kathy. So I switched over to city, not one peep, well other than a instant/strong Ka hit right next to a small antique mall, I think there may have been some hiding there. So I got to work and lowered the K down to 40%, not a SINGLE chirp all the way home!! At first I thought maybe the RD wasn't working or my bsm's weren't so I switched over to highway and boom she chirped away again. Switched back to advanced nothing, I all but teared up....lol. So when I got home I bumped K back up to 50% so I'll see what happens in the morning. Again a huge thank you to everyone helping me out with this, it's people like you and this forum that makes hobbies(?) like this great!!!! Thank you again and I totally appreciate it. Oh and a final PS, I am going to order a blendmount right now just to celebrate.......lol.

Glad it seems to be working out for you and hope it continues to do so. I have the R7 on a BlendMount as well and it’s fantastic!

olemil

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Glad it seems to be working out for you and hope it continues to do so. I have the R7 on a BlendMount as well and it’s fantastic!
Thank you and awesome on the R7 with blendmount being fantastic. I have it ordered and already received an email stating it has shipped, anxious to get it installed.

Final settings as of today. I tried upping the K to 50% and started getting a few falses, I think if there was 45% it would be perfect. So on my way home today I dropped the rear K down to 60% and put the K at 50%, no falses. I figured I would be better off raising the K% back up and dropping the rear a touch so that way I would have a little higher percentage overall on K. Sound OK? Still love it and can't wait to get some more real hits with it.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John RD