VPR Head Mounting Location

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

My name's Adam and I'm brand new to the page. I've always ran a detector in the car but decided to upgrade after getting a couple of close calls lately. I picked up a max 360 and the tmg a-15 dual head + vpr. I will be installing myself as I'm pretty good at stuff like this. The system is going in a 2015 genesis Coupe. I've found a pretty detailed diy install on this page and I think I'm going to go the same route.

My issue is that this install was done without the vpr head and I'd like the extra protection. I live in Charlotte NC but would like it when traveling to Georgia/Florida. I want to mount the vpr in the middle (top of lower grill). This is basically the only place I could mount it given the front layout. I've read everywhere that the ALP Tx needs 20 inch ground clearance, and people are staying this may be the same for vpr. However, I've looked through every possible forum related to vpr on rdforums and can not find a straightforward answer to this issue. Its basically just speculating and tmg has not made a comment. Or at least not one I could find. I've have read several places that tmg only specifies + or - 3 inches from the other heads. I would obviously be over that but I'd assume that would be okay. The problem is I don't want to have interference with road reflections if this is too low. I don't know anyone or anywhere I could get tested so I'd like to get this install right and have some piece of mind. Would I be better off mounting the vpr or skipping it entirely and going with two heads? Anyone have any experience with low mounted vpr and laser effectiveness?

P.s. my car is lowered 2 inches. So mounting in the lower grill would be roughly at 14 inches from ground. I've attached a screenshot from the other members install for reference. Sorry if that's not allowed! Anyways, I'm glad to have found this forum and I definetley appreciate any help I can get.
Screenshot_20201202-193331.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi, Adam!
Welcome to the Forum. 14 inches does seem too low for a VPR sensor. You may just start with the 2 and definitely test. If results are not satisfying, them for this particular front you may be better off with a 3rd regular sensor (basically "copy" the install you are referring here). The outer edges of the fog lights on the lower ends may still be out of coverage. It's just a wide area. But definitely doable. Start simple, test, then add / adjust placement(s)...

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Vancity23 unfortunately no, both the top and the bottom of the emblem are much to tight. I'd have to do some serious cutting to get a head in there.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Get a used grill. Then hack away 😜😜😜😜😜

I did that on BOTH my installs. And one was a Benz.

@Vancity23 is CORRECT 🤓🤓🤓

Benzr

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments. That is definitely a possibility. Maybe try and cut it into the emblem. I actually sent a message to tmg regarding their official stance on ground clearance. The person I spoke to said that the vpr in the lower grill should not cause any problems at 14 inches. I'm not sure if that was his opinion or an actual statement from tmg. I may try it first as that placement would be optimal. I will not face many vpr guns so I'm not sure if possible reflections would cause issues with all guns or just vpr. It may be something I'd have to test. Any members around NC that could test the setup? I'd be willing to drive to you given its a few hours away. I can compensate if needed. Thanks again for all of the input.

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm in South Charlotte but id be willing to drive to get test and have piece of mind. I'm planning on trying to install next weekend if the weather cooperates. I'll post up some pictures when done and hopefully try and plan something out with a member then.

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry for not posting this earlier but I figured I would show you all the end result. Overall, the install was a bit tedious with the head mounting but not too bad. I had a little hiccup where one of the jst connectors broke off the splitter cable when I moved the cpu. I suppose running through the firewall could have weakened it. However, tmg sent a new cable over and I got a chance to run that through the car today. Still need to decide a permanent place for the cpu but not 100% sure where I want it. I was thinking somewhere on the passenger side but it's pretty quiet when I'm playing music loud. I'm using the tmg remote to get alerts through Bluetooth/car audio but there is a bit of a delay when alerting. And I wired in a toggle kill switch that is hidden in the center compartment of my dash with the ability to close it so it's out of sight.

Also, I still need to figure out a way to level the heads perfectly. Right now I've got it set up so I can move the heads on the x and y axis without removing the bumper. There is a good bit of resistance so they cant move on their own. I figured I'd keep it like this until I have a chance to test. Then once it's solid, I'll jb weld everything down.

What also worked out is that tmg sent me three normal heads instead of one vpr. I noticed this when I was testing the heads with the laser tester. I ended up telling them I would stick with the normal heads instead of replacing one with the vpr. So I shouldnt have any issues with ground reflections on the lower head. All in all, everything worked out and I'm happy with the way it all looks. Definitely looking forward to my first field test. Thanks again all for the advice.
IMG_20210103_163455.jpg
IMG_20210103_163507.jpg
IMG_20201218_162231.jpg
IMG_20201218_162139.jpg

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus and Lifetime RDF Contributor
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
Damn fine install.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's a great looking install! Hopefully it will test really well! Great job @adamkalinski !

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hopefully it does test good for you, but will say..hopefully the lower head is not too low and angle zero bubble... need positive at that height.

And where is the VPR? if center low, bad spot.

Last edited:

adamkalinski

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@VariableWave all three heads are g2. I figured vpr would be too low and luckily I ended up getting 3 g2 heads by mistake. So I decided to keep the g2 instead of replacing with vpr. I'm in NC so no dragoneye anyways. And, what do you mean about the center head. Are you saying I should aim it up slightly?

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@VariableWave all three heads are g2. I figured vpr would be too low and luckily I ended up getting 3 g2 heads by mistake. So I decided to keep the g2 instead of replacing with vpr. I'm in NC so no dragoneye anyways. And, what do you mean about the center head. Are you saying I should aim it up slightly?

PM sent

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Born2fish