BlackVue DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE & AT&T sim

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I recently purchased a BlackVue DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE installed by a local shop. I ordered an AT&T SIM card for the CM100LTE. Every time the DR900X-2CH reboots I get a verbal error message "please activate your sim card." I called AT&T tech support and they say the card is activated. They also asked me for the IMEI number and the only one I could find is for the CM100LTE.

Anyone else have issues getting the DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE to recognize a sim? How did you resolve it?

The BlackVue DR900X-2CH appears to work as its supposed to via external WIFI or DR900X-2CH WIFI connection to the phone. I am trying to give the DR900X-2CH w/ CM100LTE it's own data source primarily for real time parking mode notifications as well as live-view capability.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you already activate the dashcam / SIM card in the Blackvue app?

I believe the SIM card's IMEI number should be written on the holder the SIM card came in. I'm not sure if it's written on the SIM card itself too.

If you don't have that holder, you could always try popping the SIM card into your phone and having your phone tell you the IMEI number.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did you already activate the dashcam / SIM card in the Blackvue app?

I believe the SIM card's IMEI number should be written on the holder the SIM card came in. I'm not sure if it's written on the SIM card itself too.

If you don't have that holder, you could always try popping the SIM card into your phone and having your phone tell you the IMEI number.
Ariel (love your videos BTW),

The DR900X is showing up in both the BlackVue phone app as well as the Windows app. I can view files as well as Live-View. The camera is currently set to connect to my home WIFI which is allowing this connectivity. However I could also connect the phone directly to the DR900X’s own WIFI and again, I could access files that way as well.

[side note: the Windows app crashes if I try and download 4K files to the computer at full resolution. Downloading HD files from the app to the computer does not crash the app]

The SIM card has a SKU, UPC and ICCID number, not an IMEI (as far as I can tell). Just to be clear, AT&T asked for the SIM’s ICCID and I gave it to them. They also asked for the IMEI of the device the SIM was being installed in (not the SIM card itself) and I gave them the IMEI from the CM100LTE. I am not sure if the DR900X has a IMEI, I don't see one.

I am attempting to give the DR900X data connection when the DR900X is not near my phone (direct WIFI) or near my home WIFI. AT&T confirmed that the card they sent me is 4G LTE, although the last tech support person I spoke to said their system requires them to input if the device it is installed in is a phone, tablet, trail-camera, etc., and it seemed they may be having some configuration difficulty on AT&T's end as they had no specific choice for BlackVue dashcam.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There should be a spot in the Blackvue app to set up / activate the SIM card. I didn’t have to do it with the DR750 LTE, but I don’t remember off the top of my head with the DR900X/CM100LTE.

As for the device selection, you can tell them it’s a tablet and that should work fine. You just need a data only SIM.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There should be a spot in the Blackvue app to set up / activate the SIM card. I didn’t have to do it with the DR750 LTE, but I don’t remember off the top of my head with the DR900X/CM100LTE.

As for the device selection, you can tell them it’s a tablet and that should work fine. You just need a data only SIM.
I'll look through the app to see if there is an activate choice I can find.

AT&T tech support were trying different settings. I think "trail camera" was the last one tried.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Issue seems to be solved. When the DR900X was giving "please activate your sim card" error messages I assumed that meant the cellular carrier needed to activate the card, when indeed it meant BlackVue needed to activate it.

The process I found to activate the the sim is as follows:

In the BlackVue cell phone app (iOS) from the Home screen tap on the WIFI icon. Then in the upper right hand corner there is a very small icon that looks like a rectangle with a smaller "settings" cog. Click on that. Click on search magnifying glass to select your country and carrier. When complete it auto-filled my APN as "phone." In USER NAME and PASSWORD enter your BlackVue account info. Click DONE.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
UPDATE: As noted above my primary issue was that when the Blackvue camera warned “please activate your sim card" I assumed that meant the cellular carrier I use needed to activate, not that the Blackvue camera needed to activate the card. This however has now been solved.

I have had other subsequent problems though. One is a connect/disconnect issue which may be appropriate for a separate forum thread as I am not sure if it is an LTE cloud or WIFI issue. I don’t believe it has to do with activation. The second issue is specifically related to AT&T SIM cards and their data service as it pertains to dashcams.

When the DR900X2CH/CM100LTE was purchased I called AT&T, spoke to a representative and told them I wanted to add data-only capability for a dashcam. I gave them the model of the LTE module as well as the specifications for the SIM card and data service as provided by Blackvue.

I already have three cellular telephony/data lines on a 30GB monthly invoiced AT&T account. The representative said they could add another line to that shared data plan for an additional $15 monthly. I agreed.

When the SIM card arrived my installation shop put it in the CM100LTE and installed it in the car along with the DR900X2CH. The CM100LTE is now hidden high up inside the dashboard of the car. The installation is very clean, but I do not have easy access to the CM100LTE. To change out the SIM card I would need to bring the car back to the install shop.

In the process of working out the “please activate your sim card" issue an AT&T Tech Support rep told me, “contact the billing department because the way they have this card set-up currently will be very expensive.” He also asked me for the IMEI number of the CM100LTE as well as the ICCID of the SIM card. I provided all.

When I contacted AT&T billing (after a 30 minute hold time) they confirmed what AT&T tech support said, that the way the SIM card is currently set-up could result in overages of hundreds of dollars per month. They said the SIM card was currently set-up for phone only (no data) service only and that the SIM card sent could not be set-up as originally promised and agreed to (as one more line on my shared 30GB plan). Furthermore the AT&T billing rep said that the only solution would be to issue a new SIM card and that (I quote) I would need to sign up for “session based pre-paid account.” I explained that I did not have easy access to the SIM card to change it. AT&T then escalated the ticket up their chain of command.

I contacted AT&T billing a second time (this time a 45 minute hold time). They said that despite the SIM card functioning technically the way the card was currently set-up could result in hundreds of dollars monthly in costs. They also said their only solution would be to issue a new SIM card and move this line to a session based pre-paid account. They then said that if I went in person to a corporate owned AT&T store that they may be able to switch the SIM card number already installed to a session based pre-paid account, but that AT&T billing department (via phone) was unable to.

I went to the AT&T corporate owned store as directed and was told by the representative in the store that what AT&T told me on the phone was incorrect, that the store had no ability to switch the existing SIM card over to a new plan session based data plan. The store rep then called AT&T billing, AT&T tech support and AT&T mobile data services departments on speaker-phone in front of me so I could hear the conversations. I finally acquiesced to receiving a new AT&T SIM card and was told that the (lowest) additional cost to me would be $60 per month (not $15 as promised when I ordered the first SIM)!

I refused and left the store, then called T-Mobile who offered to send me a new sim for $10 per month (2GB p/m and no additional cost for data overages if they occurred). I also asked T-Mobile about moving all my business from AT&T to T-Mobile. They suggested finding out from AT&T if any of the smart phones I currently have are not yet paid off, and what the pay-off amount is.

I called AT&T billing (fourth call, 3rd time to billing dept, a 50 minute hold-time, a two hour call in total) and found out that one phone on my plan still had a buy-out balance. I then inquired about the process to unlock all the phones, at which point AT&T billing started asking a lot of questions about my intentions (likely aware I was preparing to leave based on the questions I was asking). I was honest with them about my plans and amazingly …. The billing department representative now said THERE IS a way to keep using the SIM card already installed and move all my lines (including the dashcam SIM) to an unlimited data plan, although unclear what the actual net upcharge will be beyond what I am paying, I think $15-20.

Have any of you had similar issues with AT&T? If in the US are you using T-Mobile for dashcam data instead? I like the idea of the dashcam/CM100LTE having its own SIM (not a MIFI or similar solution).

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow what a cluster...

I’m a long time AT&T customer who recently switched to T-Mobile for their cheaper plans and unlimited data. (I lost my grandfathered unlimited data from AT&T years ago.)

It’s been great with lower prices, better customer service, and some nice perks like gas discounts, free WiFi on planes (when applicable haha), they pay for Netflix, free international roaming, etc. I was concerned about coverage issues but it’s been fine for me.

The prepaid SIM stuff is cheaper too. I pay just $10/mo. They did advise me to get a separate prepaid SIM because it’s cheaper than adding a SIM into my existing phone plan so that’s a little weird, but whatever. I’m glad they told me.

As for the AT&T thing, FWIW I popped an AT&T SIM in my DR900X/LTE as well as in a 590X/LTE for testing this weekend and the connectivity was fine. No connection/disconnection issues like what you saw.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow what a cluster...

I’m a long time AT&T customer who recently switched to T-Mobile for their cheaper plans and unlimited data. (I lost my grandfathered unlimited data from AT&T years ago.)

It’s been great with lower prices, better customer service, and some nice perks like gas discounts, free WiFi on planes (when applicable haha), they pay for Netflix, free international roaming, etc. I was concerned about coverage issues but it’s been fine for me.

The prepaid SIM stuff is cheaper too. I pay just $10/mo. They did advise me to get a separate prepaid SIM because it’s cheaper than adding a SIM into my existing phone plan so that’s a little weird, but whatever. I’m glad they told me.

As for the AT&T thing, FWIW I popped an AT&T SIM in my DR900X/LTE as well as in a 590X/LTE for testing this weekend and the connectivity was fine. No connection/disconnection issues like what you saw.

Thank you. It seems AT&T will lose not only my dashcam data business but the rest of my phone lines as well, payoff amount due on one phone or not. Aside from the run around and trying to get me to pay 400% more than they promised, the hold times and customer support has been less than acceptable.

phil1995

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
UPDATE: As noted above my primary issue was that when the Blackvue camera warned “please activate your sim card" I assumed that meant the cellular carrier I use needed to activate, not that the Blackvue camera needed to activate the card. This however has now been solved.

I have had other subsequent problems though. One is a connect/disconnect issue which may be appropriate for a separate forum thread as I am not sure if it is an LTE cloud or WIFI issue. I don’t believe it has to do with activation. The second issue is specifically related to AT&T SIM cards and their data service as it pertains to dashcams.

When the DR900X2CH/CM100LTE was purchased I called AT&T, spoke to a representative and told them I wanted to add data-only capability for a dashcam. I gave them the model of the LTE module as well as the specifications for the SIM card and data service as provided by Blackvue.

I already have three cellular telephony/data lines on a 30GB monthly invoiced AT&T account. The representative said they could add another line to that shared data plan for an additional $15 monthly. I agreed.

When the SIM card arrived my installation shop put it in the CM100LTE and installed it in the car along with the DR900X2CH. The CM100LTE is now hidden high up inside the dashboard of the car. The installation is very clean, but I do not have easy access to the CM100LTE. To change out the SIM card I would need to bring the car back to the install shop.

In the process of working out the “please activate your sim card" issue an AT&T Tech Support rep told me, “contact the billing department because the way they have this card set-up currently will be very expensive.” He also asked me for the IMEI number of the CM100LTE as well as the ICCID of the SIM card. I provided all.

When I contacted AT&T billing (after a 30 minute hold time) they confirmed what AT&T tech support said, that the way the SIM card is currently set-up could result in overages of hundreds of dollars per month. They said the SIM card was currently set-up for phone only (no data) service only and that the SIM card sent could not be set-up as originally promised and agreed to (as one more line on my shared 30GB plan). Furthermore the AT&T billing rep said that the only solution would be to issue a new SIM card and that (I quote) I would need to sign up for “session based pre-paid account.” I explained that I did not have easy access to the SIM card to change it. AT&T then escalated the ticket up their chain of command.

I contacted AT&T billing a second time (this time a 45 minute hold time). They said that despite the SIM card functioning technically the way the card was currently set-up could result in hundreds of dollars monthly in costs. They also said their only solution would be to issue a new SIM card and move this line to a session based pre-paid account. They then said that if I went in person to a corporate owned AT&T store that they may be able to switch the SIM card number already installed to a session based pre-paid account, but that AT&T billing department (via phone) was unable to.

I went to the AT&T corporate owned store as directed and was told by the representative in the store that what AT&T told me on the phone was incorrect, that the store had no ability to switch the existing SIM card over to a new plan session based data plan. The store rep then called AT&T billing, AT&T tech support and AT&T mobile data services departments on speaker-phone in front of me so I could hear the conversations. I finally acquiesced to receiving a new AT&T SIM card and was told that the (lowest) additional cost to me would be $60 per month (not $15 as promised when I ordered the first SIM)!

I refused and left the store, then called T-Mobile who offered to send me a new sim for $10 per month (2GB p/m and no additional cost for data overages if they occurred). I also asked T-Mobile about moving all my business from AT&T to T-Mobile. They suggested finding out from AT&T if any of the smart phones I currently have are not yet paid off, and what the pay-off amount is.

I called AT&T billing (fourth call, 3rd time to billing dept, a 50 minute hold-time, a two hour call in total) and found out that one phone on my plan still had a buy-out balance. I then inquired about the process to unlock all the phones, at which point AT&T billing started asking a lot of questions about my intentions (likely aware I was preparing to leave based on the questions I was asking). I was honest with them about my plans and amazingly …. The billing department representative now said THERE IS a way to keep using the SIM card already installed and move all my lines (including the dashcam SIM) to an unlimited data plan, although unclear what the actual net upcharge will be beyond what I am paying, I think $15-20.

Have any of you had similar issues with AT&T? If in the US are you using T-Mobile for dashcam data instead? I like the idea of the dashcam/CM100LTE having its own SIM (not a MIFI or similar solution).
I ran into the same issues today. I tried to add a tablet plan, and it would not activate. I spent the entire day on the phone with one AT&T idiot after another. They put me on a plan that was supposed to be $35, and when I didn’t work, I called back and they had actually put me on a $75 plan.

after an entire day, I just told them to disconnect it all and I would go to the store and see if a pre-paid plan would Work.

At this point , I am just frustrated with the whole thing at this point.

anyone who has a working AT&T sim, what plan are you on?

I ran into the same issues today. I tried to add a tablet plan, and it would not activate. I spent the entire day on the phone with one AT&T idiot after another. They put me on a plan that was supposed to be $35, and when I didn’t work, I called back and they had actually put me on a $75 plan.

after an entire day, I just told them to disconnect it all and I would go to the store and see if a pre-paid plan would Work.

At this point , I am just frustrated with the whole thing at this point.

anyone who has a working AT&T sim, what plan are you on?

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In the US it seems T-Mobile has much more attractive rates on data only sim plans. I currently have my cell phones on AT&T but went out and got a T-Mobile sim just for the BlackVue. Eventually I will move everything to T-Mobile.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why did you allow the install shop to put the CM100LTE somewhere it cannot be easily accessed? SIM cards are removable for a reason...what if you wanted to change the service it's using, or if you needed an updated SIM card? Most companies I know of will refuse to reactivate a SIM card once it's been deactivated. T-Mobile is a little bit better about this, but if it's been too long since it's been active, they'll also refuse. So if you go on a long trip and cancel the CM100LTE's service to save money, then you'd come back and find that you need access to the thing to get it working again...

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The CM100LTE needs to be someplace it can easily receive cellular signals. BlackVue recommends placing it on the windshield itself, which some would consider an eyesore. The install shop I use prides itself in keeping only the human interface in view, neatly tucking away everything else out of sight. In the case of the CM100LTE, if it was low under the dashboard (hidden but easily accessible) there is the possibility of reduced cellular signal strength. The compromise then is to place it high (for cellular efficiency) but hidden (under the dash).

It’s a matter of priorities.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The CM100LTE needs to be someplace it can easily receive cellular signals. BlackVue recommends placing it on the windshield itself, which some would consider an eyesore. The install shop I use prides itself in keeping only the human interface in view, neatly tucking away everything else out of sight. In the case of the CM100LTE, if it was low under the dashboard (hidden but easily accessible) there is the possibility of reduced cellular signal strength. The compromise then is to place it high (for cellular efficiency) but hidden (under the dash).

It’s a matter of priorities.
Sure. My personal preference is for stuff to be invisible, but I would never compromise function (like being able to remove a SIM card or access a USB cable to upgrade firmware) for the sake of making it harder to see. So, I'd have told them to just mount the darn thing where I can get to it easily. Most shops will make exceptions to the way they do stuff if explicitly requested to by the customer.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761