Reasonable Used Market Price for V1 Gen 1

Col4bin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Im looking to post my V1 Gen1 up for sale with BT Module- probably like many of you, to fund the eventual purchase of a Gen 2. Since I am teleworking due to the pandemic, now seems to be the time to sell and buy- when I am not driving much.

So real question to the expert; what is a reasonable price to post this for. Software was updated last spring by V1. Original box, accessories, cords etc included along with the BT module.

Id appreciate the guidance. I do not want to rip anyone off, just looking for a fair assessment of what I should expect out of it and perhaps the best spot to post it.

Cheers from Maine

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
People are still getting pretty decent value on eBay. I have seen good condition with box + manual go for up to $300 in the past few weeks. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 150-200 depending on the firmware.

P.S RDF has a marketplace (https://www.rdforum.org/forums/45/) which is available to members once they reach Beginner level.

Col4bin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
People are still getting pretty decent value on eBay. I have seen good condition with box + manual go for up to $300 in the past few weeks. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 150-200 depending on the firmware.

P.S RDF has a marketplace (https://www.rdforum.org/forums/45/) which is available to members once they reach Beginner level.
Thanks for that. I have been watching ebay- so maybe that is a starting place. Wider, less informed audience I suppose LOL. Assume people here are already well protected.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I sold a 3.8940 and 3.8952 for $NZ400 and $NZ450 repsectively. Box, manuals, mounts, hardwire and one older dongle and one LE.
I probably could have got more, but I sold them to friends.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have been watching ebay- so maybe that is a starting place. Wider, less informed audience I suppose LOL. Assume people here are already well protected.
Just put it in an auction on ebay. You will get what someone is willing to pay which it ultimately what it is worth. Even with the fee's they charge you get access to a lot more buyers. I think as long as you post it honestly with what software version it's running then it's up to the buyer to do their due diligence or not. Sold many units on ebay over the years and always got decent value back. Think on my V1G1 I actually recouped the full cost of what I paid new but did have to ship it overseas but the buyer covered all that extra cost. Then again mine had the newest software and was mint at the time.

frank od5

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ebay fees just recently got way more expensive. They cut out PayPal and take their money now.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ebay fees just recently got way more expensive. They cut out PayPal and take their money now.
As I understand it, sellers are able to opt out of the new system and remain on the old fee schedule.

frank od5

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Curious how they get paid if they opt out.But now I have money in cyberspace, I had to comply.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
EBay 10% is killer.

i hope to sell mine to a forum member so neither of us pay fees but getting “beginner” status on this forum for the classifieds access has been a mystery

Col4bin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
EBay 10% is killer.

i hope to sell mine to a forum member so neither of us pay fees but getting “beginner” status on this forum for the classifieds access has been a mystery
Interesting, I thought someone mentioned it was 50 posts but....I see youre up over 85. Maybe a mod can chime in...
Post automatically merged:

ughhhh

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
EBay 10% is killer.

You're currently a beginner member.
You should have access to the classifieds section.

Member advancement can be found here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/105035/

biolink

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My nephew just sold his on offer up for $200.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thinking of putting my V1G1 with remote display up for sale/auction as well. The 10% eBay extraction is painful and, for the buyer, the fact eBay is now collecting sales tax from those residing in non-exempt states is a negative as well. For those not yet able to post within the classifieds section here, I wonder if a Craig's List might be a viable option?

FlyNavy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Im looking to post my V1 Gen1 up for sale with BT Module- probably like many of you, to fund the eventual purchase of a Gen 2. Since I am teleworking due to the pandemic, now seems to be the time to sell and buy- when I am not driving much.

So real question to the expert; what is a reasonable price to post this for. Software was updated last spring by V1. Original box, accessories, cords etc included along with the BT module.

Id appreciate the guidance. I do not want to rip anyone off, just looking for a fair assessment of what I should expect out of it and perhaps the best spot to post it.

Cheers from Maine
I wanted to chime in with my thoughts. I’ve sold - on eBay - every V1 I’ve retired. I think I’ve sold 2-3 generations...since eBays inception.

I think eBay is the best place to sell because it’s the only venue that allows the current market for an item to determine the price.

Here are the tips for getting the best price (in my opinion).

1. Take photos from all angles of the V1. Do not use blurry or dark photos. Your free listing allows for many photos.

2. Give a detailed, congruent explanation of condition. Include how it’s helped you.

3. This is tough for a lot of people, start the auction at a dollar. You’ll attract a ton of people hoping to get a deal. On your seller dashboard, you’ll see a ton of people are watching your auction.

4. Use the 7 day auction and start the auction at 6:30 pst. Here’s why, at that time of day you’ll capture people on both coasts; west coast after they’ve had dinner, the east coast before they’ve gone to bed.

5. restrict your auction to the United States only. It’ll save you a ton of grief.

6. Offer free USPS priority mail shipping, and mention it your description of the V1 e.g., “Shipping is Fast & Free via USPS priority mail with tracking!”

Well, that’s about it. From all my V1’s, iPhones and $500 Mick Doohan Arai motorcycle helmet...that’s how I’ve done it.

One last tip - do a search for an item on eBay, within the filters tab check “completed auctions.” Look through that list, paying close attention to the completed sale numbers in green. Those green numbers represent items that sold. From that list you can begin to get an idea what people are willing to pay.

Cheers
Post automatically merged:

Allow me to “revise and extend my remarks” related to eBay selling.

Others have pointed out the seller fee’s and (possible) taxes. I agree...it’s a pain in the rear...but, I still think eBay is the best method for getting the highest price.

“Time is money.” Have one nutcase buyer on Craigslist give you the runaround. Spend a couple hours driving and meeting potential buyers and you’ll wish you’d never heard of Craigslist.

I’m not bashing Craigslist, it has its value...lawnmowers, cars & listings for those “special massages” that end happily.

Good luck with whatever you do to sell your V1

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For those who cringe at the $1 reserve, I'd suggest the VR trade in - $110 if I recall.

frank od5

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Craigslist messages " I'll give you half or I'll trade you something"

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members