Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Update: Uniden has now released updated drivers and new update software specifically for Big Sur. Be sure to install the new driver and then the update software. I've attached the new files to this post. (This new updater isn't on their website yet, but I'm sure it will be available there too at some point.)

For those of you who've updated to Mac OS Big Sur, the drivers that Uniden uses for their detectors aren't compatible with the new OS and so you're not going to be able to update.

It looks like Silicon Labs is working on an update for the driver, but until it's available, we'll need to update either on a computer still running Catalina or running Windows.

Attachments

• Uniden_R_Series_Tool_V1.4_MAC.ZIP
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you @Vortex for posting this information. It's a shame that Silicon Labs apparently didn't know that Apple planned to actually release macOS Big Sur after announcing it at WWDC this past June. :eek:;)

Even their own community board users are beating them up over this.

apple2gs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It figures. Us Apple Mac users are ALWAYS second class don't matter people. Been pissing me off since the '80's

AllAboutJake

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have heard rumors that Big Sir may come bundled with bundled drivers for this chipset.

Does a device appear in /dev/ when you connect up the radar detecter via USB? If so, what's the device name? If it is true that Big Sir has a bundled driver, then it might be possible to use my hex-edit method on the updater binary to get it to see the serial device.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have been running Big Sir since the beta release in June. We have only had one update since then but I had to resort to bootcamp to get the update completed. No matter what I did, I could not see the R7. The older app started and the new file was ready, just never could see the detector so I could run the update.

jws360

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I hope Uniden does not ignore Mac users. No way I am buying another computer, boot camp or whatever and Windows just to update a radar detector.

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I simply have no choice but to hold off on the Big Sur update. R7 firmware updates are far more important to me than having a new weather icon on my desktop!

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden now has new drivers and update software for Big Sur. I've attached them to the OP.

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Uniden now has new drivers and update software for Big Sur. I've attached them to the OP.
Glad you did update your OP because I just went to Uniden's website and couldn't even find them. That site is a disaster

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It figures. Us Apple Mac users are ALWAYS second class don't matter people. Been pissing me off since the '80's
Well maybe if Apple weren’t second class when it comes to price on their hardware then that would change...

Dave3006

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
New Mac tool 1.4 also up today on Uniden site

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members