V1 coiled power cord

Jason218

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've got an old v1 coiled power cord broken recently ( broken clip on each of rj11 connectors ).
So I bought some spare rj11 connector and a crimping tool and made new connector on both side of the cable. I compare with original one, connectors are mirrored.
When I plug it in nothing, redo it few times no joy.
Any idea what possibly go wrong.
Thanks in advance

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
check continuity from pin to pin on the other end.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know you said you mirrored the connectors, but;

Did you by chance study one end and see the colors arranged in a particular pattern and the proceed to redo both ends in that same pattern?

If so, you didn't make a "Bell standard" phone cable which is what all V1 cables are. (You could use them as telephone cables if you wanted)

It used to be that all phone cables were wired this way but these days you can find some that are incorrectly made. :-(

Attachments

• rj11.gif
    rj11.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 23

Jason218

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Did you by chance study one end and see the colors arranged in a particular pattern and the proceed to redo both ends in that same pattern?

If so, you didn't make a "Bell standard" phone cable which is what all V1 cables are. (You could use them as telephone cables if you wanted)

It used to be that all phone cables were wired this way but these days you can find some that are incorrectly made. :-(
Thanks for your reply. Please refer to photo of the new connectors I've made, (left) ->> yellow, green, red, black, (right) ->> black, red, green, yellow. both hookers facing down. Is this correct or not? I made it exactly the same as what the original connector look like.
Post automatically merged:

I reused the old v1 cable just replaced the connectors.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-26 091004.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-26 091004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That all looks right to me! Have you checked the fuse for your power supply?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sometimes I will come across a cable in which the installing tech will have "knicked" one of the internal wires. Sometimes it's "knicked" enough to cut the conductor, but some of the outer insulation will remain attached enough that it might go un-noticed.

It could be something like that, or there's a break in the cable somewhere internally. I have a tester that can tell where the break is in the cable, but if I didn't, I'd cut off one of the connectors and test continuity as @Smason mentioned.

Sometimes you can get by with replacing just one connector. Many times "luck" will dictate that you replace both. :D

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John RD