2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO Grill LJ Placement Suggestion for dual head TMG A-15 (VPR soon)

mcbrien007

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
45 x 7 x 15 inches is the grille size

Setup has worked furiously thus far jamming all day long, using the kill switch immediately. The parking sensor heads are level and like 25.5 inches apart if i recall. Should i change anything? Also where to put VPR head? Should i add a few heads?

This is my offroad vehicle but the truck has tune and has a mind of her own

It has Vermont Plates (we have a saying around here. No EZ pass needed ) Just kidding i pay my fare share of tolls.

yota.jpg

Last edited:

dyn0mitemat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thats where the adaptive/radar cruise control sensor is.
Maybe just right above it, between the bottom of the "Y" and the "O" in the grill lettering.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
45 x 7 x 15 inches is the grille size

Setup has worked furiously thus far jamming all day long, using the kill switch immediately. The parking sensor heads are level and like 25.5 inches apart if i recall. Should i change anything? Also where to put VPR head? Should i add a few heads?

This is my offroad vehicle but the truck has tune and has a mind of her own

It has Vermont Plates (we have a saying around here. No EZ pass needed ) Just kidding i pay my fare share of tolls.

View attachment 165691
Maybe check with @Jag42 , but I think the other 2 heads should come down some for better coverage of the areas below the headlights.

mcbrien007

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe check with @Jag42 , but I think the other 2 heads should come down some for better coverage of the areas below the headlights.
Now that you say it, its painfully obvious they are probably too high for 2 sensors. However i like the idea of having 4 sensors with 2 up high, as i just had a huge save yesterday that may have even been scatter giving me so much time to slow down after the initial jam. I think my LJ's caught the signal from about 1.5 miles away, or more so i turned the CM's off and coasted by the trooper at a 65. It was the best spot I have ever seen a trooper. He must tag people WAY before they see him and they are dead to rights LOL. Not only that but my DFR7 alerted to laser possibly due to the jammer? I think this is because they are mounted up pretty high. So would having 4 sensors be better. Any chance of sensor interference with the VPR or if they are two close together? Could i put 2 sensors on a roof rack for a total of 6 up front, with 2 in the back? Is VPR worth it? TMG a-15 btw.

Last edited:

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now that you say it, its painfully obvious they are probably too high for 2 sensors. However i like the idea of having 4 sensors with 2 up high, as i just had a huge save yesterday that may have even been scatter giving me so much time to slow down after the initial jam. I think my LJ's caught the signal from about 1.5 miles away, or more so i turned the CM's off and coasted by the trooper at a 65. It was the best spot I have ever seen a trooper. He must tag people WAY before they see him and they are dead to rights LOL. Not only that but my DFR7 alerted to laser possibly due to the jammer? I think this is because they are mounted up pretty high. So would having 4 sensors be better. Any chance of sensor interference with the VPR or if they are two close together? Could i put 2 sensors on a roof rack for a total of 6 up front, with 2 in the back? Is VPR worth it? TMG a-15 btw.
Adding more sensors is something I can't answer about TMG. I think their products work differently than what I use.
One thing to remember, the farther out the laser shot, the wider the laser cone. If you had been around 600 feet, you may have had a different experience because he could have aimed lower. The cone would have been much smaller and more targeted. That's why I suggested lowering the heads some to give more coverage to the lower outside mass.
But, check with @Jag42 or @VariableWave. They're more knowledgeable about TMG.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would have it just below the YO and get tested. I tested @WalterTheRadarWizard9999 Tacoma with a single VPR, but also with a single receive head double stack.... we were running out of testing time to get a full time of two receive heads with single VPR.

From the Single VPR test with single head, do not put above the YO. hopefully more testing to be done with two heads spaced correclty with a single VPR, and Dual VPR to come. Now we are getting into the cold season with limited daylight and the cold.

Get tested.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would have it just below the YO and get tested. I tested @WalterTheRadarWizard9999 Tacoma with a single VPR, but also with a single receive head double stack.... we were running out of testing time to get a full time of two receive heads with single VPR.

From the Single VPR test with single head, do not put above the YO. hopefully more testing to be done with two heads spaced correclty with a single VPR, and Dual VPR to come. Now we are getting into the cold season with limited daylight and the cold.

Get tested.
Do you agree the 2 outer heads need to come down and out some? There's a lot of real estate left open below the headlights IMO. But, you're the expert so I defer to you.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you agree the 2 outer heads need to come down and out some? There's a lot of real estate left open below the headlights IMO. But, you're the expert so I defer to you.
My first run would be with this setup.... VPR red and the Regular heads in Orange. That Bar sux in the position Toyota set it up. If one was to come across a DE class gun, the Regular heads only need to see the beam, as the VPR does the rest. I would almost do four heads on the Pickup, I as I can see where a PL series gun will take advantage on this, as I did with WalterTRDRGuys truck.

1607036764396.png

mcbrien007

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My first run would be with this setup.... VPR red and the Regular heads in Orange. That Bar sux in the position Toyota set it up. If one was to come across a DE class gun, the Regular heads only need to see the beam, as the VPR does the rest. I would almost do four heads on the Pickup, I as I can see where a PL series gun will take advantage on this, as I did with WalterTRDRGuys truck.

View attachment 166489
What more could I ask for? My same exact grille in a picture thanks @VariableWave So i have 2 more TMG a-15 parking sensors on the way for the bottom of the grill. I e-mailed TMG about a VPR head freebie and mentioned that I would post some pics and results on here. Stay tuned for me 3D printing some TMG a-15 mounts for my grille.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What more could I ask for? My same exact grille in a picture thanks @VariableWave So i have 2 more TMG a-15 parking sensors on the way for the bottom of the grill. I e-mailed TMG about a VPR head freebie and mentioned that I would post some pics and results on here. Stay tuned for me 3D printing some TMG a-15 mounts for my grille.

If you want, PM me when you get your setup, and discuss on your plans.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr350