R3 Cable issue...

cavenger

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have the cable linked below installed on my uniden R3. It’s worked fine but the rj11 clip on the cable broke. I am hoping I don’t have to rewire this thing because it wasn’t exactly fun.

I want to see if I can just replace the rh11 connector on the end. Does anyone know if there is anything special about these pinouts or any tips on how I can do this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RBBWWS/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You'll need a crimper like this and a new RJ11 modular plug. 4 pin preferably but a 6 pin will also work but one outer pin on each side will not be used.

Just make sure the you insert the wires in the correct orientation, color wise, as the current plug.

Attachments

• 20201123_195121.jpg
    20201123_195121.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201123_195510.jpg
    20201123_195510.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201123_200356-1.jpg
    20201123_200356-1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 17

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have the cable linked below installed on my uniden R3. It’s worked fine but the rj11 clip on the cable broke. I am hoping I don’t have to rewire this thing because it wasn’t exactly fun.

I want to see if I can just replace the rh11 connector on the end. Does anyone know if there is anything special about these pinouts or any tips on how I can do this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RBBWWS/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20
If the RJ-11 broke, all you need to do is replace the RJ-11 connector. Replacing the RJ-11 is a little more difficult on a round cable so it requires a little more patience. Just be sure on the new RJ-11 to duplicate the polarity on the existing connector. Save the old one (or take a picture of it) and use it as a wiring example for the new one.

There are RJ-11 connectors made for round cable and they are easier to use than RJ-11s used for flat cable.

GTO_04

cavenger

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Looks like the cord you linked doesn't have a alert led or mute button so only the two pins in the middle will be used for power (red) and ground (black).

Thank you. But is that bad. This wires into my fuse panel. I guess those others are just like on the stock adapter that has a led and a mute button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thank you. But is that bad. This wires into my fuse panel. I guess those others are just like on the stock adapter that has a led and a mute button?

No, not bad at all. The yellow and green wires are related to the mute button and power and alert leds.

So as long as you have the power and ground in the correct pin slot on new plug...you're golden.

Just remember to either remove the fuse or remove the power wire from the fuse block completely before repairing. Just like @Bloovy One mentioned.

Last edited:

cavenger

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You'll need a crimper like this and a new RJ11 modular plug. 4 pin preferably but a 6 pin will also work but one outer pin on each side will not be used.

Just make sure the you insert the wires in the correct orientation, color wise, as the current plug.

Thank you for this info!!

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Be sure the cable doesn't have power before crimping. ;)

Come on man... I want to see that video if one was to.... haha... kidding.

Yeah, look for the RJ14
If you do look up RJ11, it is really for two pin (single pair) connection vs RJ14 four pin (dual pair). Do not get RJ12 (wrong width/usage) or RJ25 even if the detector is not wired for 6pin.

As long as you cut the right insulation length, shouldn't have an issue terminating. I do IT systems work and also Wiring for various requirements, RJ, RG, and even 66/110 blocks. This is easy, just remember your colors and a good cut to side into the RJ14 connector... and keep a light push as you crimp. so it doesn't backout.

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Come on man... I want to see that video if one was to.... haha... kidding.

Yeah, look for the RJ14
If you do look up RJ11, it is really for two pin (single pair) connection vs RJ14 four pin (dual pair).

He has no mute button or alert led so his application would only have the power and ground wires.

Sent from my

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
He has no mute button or alert led so his application would only have the power and ground wires.

Sent from my

Then definitely in this application, go with the RJ11.... as this will give that window to know if in the right slots.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members