Radar Detector Recommendation for HarsherFlyGo

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
Ford F-150, 2008

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
New England: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut. Sometimes Vermont, sometimes Maine, sometimes New York.

How do you drive?
Fast. Aggressive.

What is your daily drive like?
Professional. Logistics and Courier Delivery. Roughly 150-350 miles per day, often multiple states.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
I have not.

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
Intrastate, Interstate, City/town roads, local residential.

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Yes

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
No

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
I posted on here about a month ago. I have been sussing out my options. I figure, if I am going to dump a whole bunch of money into this, I might as well pony up another couple hundred, on my original budget of 350.

I am really interested in detectors that are undetectable, or visually undetectable by LEO, and other tracking systems, as I have read that some of them have this capability.

I would like to know why you think your said choice is the best, so I can take into consideration the opinion of true real-world enthusiasts, instead of the dreck offered up on some blog. I really want to know why you advocate for a particular piece of equipments and its pros and cons.

It has been recommended that I get anti-lidar measures. I can't afford it, but it's definitely on my wishlist.

Last piece of the puzzle: I have recently been informed by a friend that different county departments are now partially employing drone surveillance to issue and report tickets. What are your opinions on this and what would be an appropriate countermeasure, if any?

Thanks guys.
Post automatically merged:

Also, I suppose it's worth asking:

If I were to dump a whole bunch of money into an APL, how many heads would I need for a mid-sized pickup with a full bed?

Would I need rear facing heads as well, for better protection, or is this unnecessary?

Based on your experience, how much would installation cost? Or is it easy enough to do with a little elbow grease?

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There might not be one that exactly fits the bill. You don't have the budget for a good remote system. That leaves you with windshield mounts. Within your budget are the Uniden R7 and the Valentine 1. While the new V1 is an excellent performer on its own, the JBV1 really takes it to the next level. But you stated that you don't want to use a phone. Are you using a phone to run Waze? Also, the V1 is electronically stealthy and smaller physically than the R7.

The R7 can be had cheaper, can't be paired with a phone, and has built in GPS. Uniden has done a fine job in bringing firmware updates with improvements to the R7. But it isn't stealth and can be detected by a RDD. If you're driving commercially this could be a deal breaker. It is very close to the V1 in Ka performance and possibly slightly better at K at the expense of more falses.

Bottom line: Either of these two RDs will offer a great measure of protection over nothing. V1 with JBV1 would be the best compromise if you were willing to pair it. If not you might consider saving a buck and going with R7 for its camera database, coming autolockouts, and generally good performance.

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There might not be one that exactly fits the bill. You don't have the budget for a good remote system. That leaves you with windshield mounts. Within your budget are the Uniden R7 and the Valentine 1. While the new V1 is an excellent performer on its own, the JBV1 really takes it to the next level. But you stated that you don't want to use a phone. Are you using a phone to run Waze? Also, the V1 is electronically stealthy and smaller physically than the R7.

The R7 can be had cheaper, can't be paired with a phone, and has built in GPS. Uniden has done a fine job in bringing firmware updates with improvements to the R7. But it isn't stealth and can be detected by a RDD. If you're driving commercially this could be a deal breaker. It is very close to the V1 in Ka performance and possibly slightly better at K at the expense of more falses.

Bottom line: Either of these two RDs will offer a great measure of protection over nothing. V1 with JBV1 would be the best compromise if you were willing to pair it. If not you might consider saving a buck and going with R7 for its camera database, coming autolockouts, and generally good performance.

I am iffy about attaching anything to my phone. I suppose you could say I'm a bit paranoid about the data sharing capabilities, or at the very least, possibilities.

What are the benefits of the phone connectivity? I honestly don't know.

And, yes, I would be running Waze.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden R3 would be a very cost effective and stealth detector for you.
This week you will find sales on new ones in $250 range.
Give it a try and sell it later if you want to upgrade.
Hide it up tight against your headliner at top of windshield behind tint strip.
You can run dark modes at night if worried about display visible from behind.
It seems to check off all your boxes on what you require.
Cheers,

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am iffy about attaching anything to my phone. I suppose you could say I'm a bit paranoid about the data sharing capabilities, or at the very least, possibilities.

What are the benefits of the phone connectivity? I honestly don't know.

And, yes, I would be running Waze.
You're already tracked if you're running Waze. I'm a bit paranoid about it too but I feel like the only way not to be tracked is to not have a phone in the car, use paper plates, make sure there are no toll tag transponders in the car, and wear a helmet to prevent facial recognition. Oh and make sure your car isn't capable of connecting.

The benefits are that JBV1 provides the fastest police alerts. It also provides a log and aircraft enforcement alerts. And lockouts of stationary falses like store doors. One other advantage of V1 is that it's able to use a concealed display or even your phone as a display. This could be helpful if being discreet is a high priority. With R7 you'd have to run dark mode and rely on the audio.

I generally agree with @DC Fluid . The R3 is usually functionally stealth but gives you no directional information. At your budget you can afford arrows.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
UNIDEN R7
Or
UNIDEN R7
Maybe
UNIDEN R7

Heres why and I own/use/test:
R7
R3
V1G2 n JBV1
Remote RCM Fr/Bk
Remote NET RADAR Fr/Bk

UNIDEN R7 has EXCEPTIONAL DISTANCE,SENSITIVITY, ARROWS, ARROWS,ARROWS, GPS Manual LOCKOUTS
Very Good Off-Axis, Voice Prompts, Super Large Easily Legible Display, Pretty Colors and OLED,
And just plain [email protected] Performance !!

V1G2 would be my second choice for your scenario if and only if you you paired your phone with JBV1 or other app.
YOU DO NOT NEED A PAIRED PHONE with G2 but IMHO it will be noticably more chatty.

Third choice is Uniden R3, but NO ARROWS ...
😹😹😹😹. Excellent detector btw. Just lacks arrows and a bit shorter distance.

Benzr

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You should try out the Highway Radar app with the Sabre plug in.
Unless you use \/\/aze to navigate.
I tend to run HR and if I need GPS it's Google Maps or a stand alone Garmin GPS.
BTW, I get reports monthly of every place I've been with Google Maps, whether I've used the app or not.
So no privacy there, wether you opt for reports or not, the data flows somewhere.

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You're already tracked if you're running Waze. I'm a bit paranoid about it too but I feel like the only way not to be tracked is to not have a phone in the car, use paper plates, make sure there are no toll tag transponders in the car, and wear a helmet to prevent facial recognition. Oh and make sure your car isn't capable of connecting.

The benefits are that JBV1 provides the fastest police alerts. It also provides a log and aircraft enforcement alerts. And lockouts of stationary falses like store doors. One other advantage of V1 is that it's able to use a concealed display or even your phone as a display. This could be helpful if being discreet is a high priority. With R7 you'd have to run dark mode and rely on the audio.

I generally agree with @DC Fluid . The R3 is usually functionally stealth but gives you no directional information. At your budget you can afford arrows.

hahaha, I love the helmet idea.

Fair enough. So the V1, plus the app is the way to go.

Do you think this system would be intuitive for the newer use of enforcement drones? New England seems to be one of the testing grounds for enforcement on this. I am still not sure about its actual legality. I think they would have to prove that the officers operating the units were FAA certified in court, which might be a good sticking point for ticket enforcement.

You should try out the Highway Radar app with the Sabre plug in.
Unless you use \/\/aze to navigate.
I tend to run HR and if I need GPS it's Google Maps or a stand alone Garmin GPS.
BTW, I get reports monthly of every place I've been with Google Maps, whether I've used the app or not.
So no privacy there, wether you opt for reports or not, the data flows somewhere.

What does the HR with Sabre give you, as opposed to Waze?

I already have an alternative commercial GPS console in mind that I am going to install as a secondary backup. So, I think I may have my GPS needs covered. It's mostly about protection, at this point.

Last edited:

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you think this system would be intuitive for the newer use of enforcement drones?
I have not heard anything about this method, well not past the 'one day it could be possible'. I live in NE and fly drones myself and am a member of a few drone forums as well and I don't recall seeing that mentioned there either. What exactly have you heard and the sources?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
hahaha, I love the helmet idea.

Fair enough. So the V1, plus the app is the way to go.

Do you think this system would be intuitive for the newer use of enforcement drones? New England seems to be one of the testing grounds for enforcement on this. I am still not sure about its actual legality. I think they would have to prove that the officers operating the units were FAA certified in court, which might be a good sticking point for ticket enforcement.

What does the HR with Sabre give you, as opposed to Waze?

I already have an alternative commercial GPS console in mind that I am going to install as a secondary backup. So, I think I may have my GPS needs covered. It's mostly about protection, at this point.
I really hate \/\/aze navigation.
Waze alerts are sometimes too close to the LEO (too late) to give me warning.
HR I can set to alert 20 miles away from any LEOs, or customize it in many ways as to what I want alerted.
It's got a neat map layout.
Sabre gives an easy link to \/\/aze to send and receive reports.
There is lots on this in the threads specific to it.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
HR I can set to alert 20 miles away from any LEOs, or customize it in many ways as to what I want alerted.
Very succinct and well put !! 😎😎

If everyone explained like that our CM's will be here FOREVER πŸ‘πŸ‘

Kudos :slick:

Benzr

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

So, the Sabre upgrade has a data sharing platform between Waze and HR? How are the alerts created? Is it user generated, like Waze? If so, what is the user total group? I think Waze is something like 8 mil users, and Google maps is 20 mil users.

Google bought Waze a couple years ago, so I am already starting to see a 1 to 1 data sharing on LEO locations between the two platforms.

I have not heard anything about this method, well not past the 'one day it could be possible'. I live in NE and fly drones myself and am a member of a few drone forums as well and I don't recall seeing that mentioned there either. What exactly have you heard and the sources?
This is very recent. A friend of a friend got a ticket sent to him via mail from New Hampshire law enforcement for highway traffic patrol, clocking overspeeding from a "highway patrol drone."

Again, I have no idea about the legality here. I think you could argue that it is illegal to operate without an FAA certification and for the ticket to hold any weight, the operating officer would have to show in court with his license to operate in federal airspace.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So, the Sabre upgrade has a data sharing platform between Waze and HR? How are the alerts created? Is it user generated, like Waze? If so, what is the user total group? I think Waze is something like 8 mil users, and Google maps is 20 mil users.

Google bought Waze a couple years ago, so I am already starting to see a 1 to 1 data sharing on LEO locations between the two platforms.
Waze plus other sources are used to compile alerts.
The HR app sends reports back to Waze.
You can get LEO aircraft alerts too.
I'm not the techy type, just a user.
Look into it here or on Google Play store.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
My brotha ... i "think" he means "traffic drones"
Cameras and speed enforcement Towers.

Not drones per se.

With that yhe R7 again would be my choice.

Our V1G2 dont get the MRCD T Gatso's ... yet.

The R7 gets it thru Low Range K Band Alert.

So the R7 is still in this kickin' n screamin'.

BUT i loooove my G2 more !! We dont have traffic drones in GA .... yet .

Benzr

Not drones per se.

Benzr
Oh and ya can STILL USE JBV1 In standalone mode on your R3 R1 R7 πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€“πŸ€“

IMHO JBV1 just plain ROCKS !! :rock:

Either choice V1G2 / R7 / R3 you for your scenario NEED JBV1 !!

You can Thank me Later πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Benzr

Last edited:

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Not drones per se.

Benzr

Oh and ya can STILL USE JBV1 In standalone mode on your R3 R1 R7 πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€“πŸ€“

Benzr

haha, no it was an actual drone. 95N intrastate in NH.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
You Freakin SERIOUS ???? 😱😱😱😱

WTF ??? NOW we have to locate DRONES too ??

I guess we will need a drone db soon .... sigh.

Benzr

HarsherFlyGo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Benzr

Hmmm...so I can use JBV1 across competing company hardware? That is cool.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
New Hampshire state police love to put planes up and clock drivers from there. My money is that it was just a regular plane timing cars between lines on the road.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
You Freakin SERIOUS ???? 😱😱😱😱

WTF ??? NOW we have to locate DRONES too ??

I guess we will need a drone db soon .... sigh.

Benzr
Hmmm...so I can use JBV1 across competing company hardware? That is cool.
yup He's our RDF Family member ( Coder EXTRADIONAIRE). !!

Enjoy 😎😎

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you @benzr for pointing out JBV1's standalone capability. I forget as I'm so used to using it with the V1.

One challenge to drone enforcement would be the method of speed measurement. Not sure any of that has been proven and accepted in court the way radar and lidar have been. And for the more rebellious my first thought is to figure out their control and video downlink frequencies. Lots of possibilities there. When they start that crap where I live I'll be one of the ones investigating these concepts.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Localmauythai