How to rotate tires with one jack (even on an incline)

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Discount Tire was the best for me around here. Have them Road Force Balance if you want the best ride.
This,

Any shop that can road force balance is what you want. Might not matter on a minivan, but makes a hell of a difference on performance oriented vehicles, rims and tires. Especially low profile tires in my experience.

Reactions: CPB

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would be very careful about jacking the entire side of a car with a floor jack. Some cars the rocker panel pinch weld is not strong enough to support the side of the car and you could collapse the rocker.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would be very careful about jacking the entire side of a car with a floor jack. Some cars the rocker panel pinch weld is not strong enough to support the side of the car and you could collapse the rocker.

It is upsetting to see how many pinch weld cars get lifted without adapters and the lip becomes totally rolled over.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Always lift at the jack spots.
I have a 2" x 4" x 4" block of wood that sits in the jack cup to take some of the abuse of sharp edges, etc. When it wears out or splits, I cut another that lasts 4-5 years.

I can't guarantee that it makes a difference but in 40+ years of jacking up cars and another 65+ years of my Dad doing the same; we've never damaged a rocker panel or pinch weld. My Grandfather (who owned a service station, a speed shop, and raced dragsters and such) probably did the same thing but I don't have actual knowledge of that.

I can see the bare metal cups doing all kinds of damage by themselves though. Matter of fact, I've seen the damage others have done to those areas with cheap jacks with the smaller cups on them.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm guessing Bloovey, that you don't run asymmetric one way rotation tyres?
I do the same as you, but use two jacks. Only because I have two jacks, but I can only swap front to rear, not across axles.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep. Not these tires anyway. :)

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

The OP is talking about lifting the entire side of the car. Most jacks won't lift high enough to get both wheels on one side off the ground at the same time when positioned at a jacking point. You need to position the jack in between the jacking points whether is no additional strength to support 50% of the cars weight.

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The OP is talking about lifting the entire side of the car. Most jacks won't lift high enough to get both wheels on one side off the ground at the same time when positioned at a jacking point. You need to position the jack in between the jacking points whether is no additional strength to support 50% of the cars weight.

Before I had a lift in my garage I rotated tires by starting at any corner and jack up that corner and remove the wheel. Place a jack stand there. Move to the corner the removed tire is going to and jack up and swap tires. Then go to the destination of the removed tire and repeat. Doing it this way you are always jacking the car up at its jacking locations.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm the OP, and I have done it for at 40+ years using a standard floor jack.

Lift at the front jack point (behind the front wheel) and the front tire comes off the ground first and then the back if you keep lifting. (Front engine car)

I used to do something similar with the factory jack of my mid-engine car except the jack point was much closer to the rear wheel there. There was only one jack point per side on that car though.

I can take a picture if you'd like.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to put this to rest.

Also, I used to do the same with a 2007 Ford Expedition EL (Extended Length) Eddie Bauer Edition we had.

First pic is my car, second car is not ours. :lolhit:(Neighbor parked in front of our house.) 🤫

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_132134554.jpg
    IMG_20201124_132134554.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201124_132318342.jpg
    IMG_20201124_132318342.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads