My new Merc comes with C to C charging in fron only. Can Theia still work?

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay, so I didn't use the word usb, it's still a c connection with a c connection at the other end.
No, it’s a C connector. Period. It’s USB regardless of connector type. What you use on the other end of the cable depends on what the device you’re using happens to need.

It’s literally EXACTLY the same as you would do with the older USB A ports in a car, except instead of USB A ports they’re providing USB C ports. It’s a good thing.

If you’re wanting to plug in an iPhone, you use a cable that has a USB C connector on one end (that’s what plugs into the car) and a Lightning connector on the other end (that’s what plugs into the iPhone). If you have an iPhone 11 or newer, it came with such a cable already, or you can get a new one at Best Buy, Amazon, etc. If you get one of the new MagSafe chargers from Apple, it has a USB C connector, so you’re good to go right into the car.

If you’re wanting to plug in a modern Android phone, you use a cable that has a USB C connector on one end (the car) and a USB C connector on the other end (the phone). Same applies for Theia if you wanted to use one of those ports for it. Same goes for some newer Bluetooth earbuds, portable battery packs, and other devices that have USB C ports for charging. Get a new cable or two for that if you don’t already have them.

If you’re wanting to plug in an older Android phone or older (and many current) Bluetooth earbuds and whatever other devices that have a USB Micro port, get a cable that has a USB C connector on one end (the car) and a USB Micro connector on the other end (the device).

Last edited:

Hügel66

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I'm just confused as the port was referred to as a C to C port. C to C cable I would understand.

But if Theia comes with a USB-C port, all you need is a USB-C cable and you can utilize the USB-C port to connect it to the car's USB-C port.
The GLC 300 does no longer have a 12V cigarette lighter nor a USB-A port. Instead it comes with USB-C ports. I dont understand the issue that the OP has with this. He just needs a USB-C to USB-C cable to power Theia instead of a USB-A to USB-C cable.

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm just confused as the port was referred to as a C to C port. C to C cable I would understand.

But if Theia comes with a USB-C port, all you need is a USB-C cable and you can utilize the USB-C port to connect it to the car's USB-C port.
Appreciate the feedback, I for sure mean the cable. The port being the input port on thei and the cable that I hope the provide has a c type connections well at whether end
Post automatically merged:

The GLC 300 does no longer have a 12V cigarette lighter nor a USB-A port. Instead it comes with USB-C ports. I dont understand the issue that the OP has with this. He just needs a USB-C to USB-C cable to power Theia instead of a USB-A to USB-C cable.
I have c to c cables now, just don't know if Theia wil l have the c to c cable ability or usb cable with one c connection only?

Confusing folks and it's a Saturday morning in cold Alberta,need to warm my brain more

Last edited:

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

I am aware it got rid of the 12V power. I just didn't understand the OP's terminology as it was so far off the standard nomenclature due to what was implied. But yeah this is just a cable issue. Or hardware which would be my preference.

natedog7700

PSL + whatever i feel like
Beginner User
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as “C to C” there are only USB ports, in either USB A or USB C connector types. iPhones since the 11 come with a cable that plugs into USB C on one end and lightning on the other. Most (all?) modern Android phones have USB C ports, and I think even current iPads. USB C is more compact, has better retention, and can support more features including higher power delivery ratings

If you have USB C ports, that’s a good thing. Pretty much everything is moving to USB C, and the new USB4 standard uses ONLY the USB C connectors. Theia accepts only USB C for power. There is nothing wrong with MB providing you multiple USB C ports, except you may have to replace your old cables that had USB A connectors on one end.

EDIT: Check your owners manual and look for the specifications on the USB ports (with the C connectors). How much wattage or amperage output can they provide? Are they listed as supporting PD (aka Power Delivery)? They probably do, which is awesome. It means no need for some sort of cigarette lighter adapter or whatever for fast charging your devices. You can get cables with USB C on one end for the car and whatever you need on the other end for your devices, whether also USB C for current Android devices and Theia and so on (you should hard wire it anyway), or for USB Micro, or Lightning, or even USB Mini like for some handheld scanners and such.

There is such thing as a "c to c" its called a usb type C to C cable you can buy them at Walmart lol why is everyone going so hard at this basic connecter question, so many people over thinking it.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Except in this case it's C connections at both ends.

Hmmm wait a second, if the Theia Type direct to the unit and the cable other end is also C type then we are good to go. Its only and issue if Theia comes with a USB connection at the other end, correct?
Just get a USBC to USBC cable, new Apple devices have them, they make them to buy any brand in a store, etc. Worse case, the ones they included is A to C and if so, just buy a cable. It’s the same thing... don’t complicate this.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There is such thing as a "c to c" its called a usb type C to C cable you can buy them at Walmart lol why is everyone going so hard at this basic connecter question, so many people over thinking it.
He said, “I see in the front 2 C to C ports and wireless charger. No cigarette socket and no USB to C port!!!!.”

We explained to him that there’s no such thing as a “C to C” port. I’m guessing the confusion came from thinking a USB cable with a USB C connector on one end must necessarily have a USB C connector on the other? Hopefully we’ve share enough information here to clear it up for him and put his mind at ease both generally and in regards to Theia specifically.

Just get a USBC to USBC cable, new iPhone have them
New iPhones still use Lightning cables, whether USB A or USB C on the other end. But you’re right, I think he was overcomplicating it.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
That’s definitely not correct, the OP will need to sell his vehicle. There is no other option for him. He will also have to write MB corporate a very irritated and disappointing email about the horrible move they’ve made in 2020. This year just sucks even more now!!! :laugh:

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Take a step back, OP. Your new car has USB C ports. Jon has stated Theia will have a USB C port for power. You just bought USB C to USB C cables. As long as your car's USB C ports provide the 2-3 amps of current that Jon has said it will require, you'll be fine.
To clarify then, note to self, usb c in theia check, usb cable c to will be fine for powering from the c port in my car into theia

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
As long as the usb c port in your car can put out 2-3a, which it most likely can, it should be able to power Theia just fine.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
New iPhones still use Lightning cables, whether USB A or USB C on the other end. But you’re right, I think he was overcomplicating it.
Yeah, I know, I was thinking Apple but wrote iPhone. I was trying to eat and post at the same time. Lol. I went back and corrected it after I reread my post but not before you apparently quoted it. Yer far too quick fer me sherif... Lol

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
You should not use any USB ports. Hardwire is your best bet. Cigarette lighter sockets are a hack, often visible, come loose and not always switched. Many USB sockets are limited wattage. I would plan on hardwiring any vehicle to do it right.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think where some people get confused is that an USB A port that is rated for 2A can output up to 2A no matter what, 5V at up to 2A is just there, waiting, on the wires.

A USB C port that is rated for 3 amps might need a device to first negotiate and ask for that amount of power before outputting it.

There are some devices with USB C ports that are "smart" and can negotiate and ask for power, and there are some devices with USB C Ports that are "dumb" and cannot ask for power (I believe they are technically non-compliant C devices).

Sometimes combinations of smart or dumb chargers and smart or dumb devices lead to broken combinations.

For example, I have a few "dumb" USB C devices that only work on A-C cables, because my "smart" chargers wont put out power for them, since they are not asking for it.

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
@SwapFile Not once have I ever seen that with USBC chargers or adapters. As long as it’s built properly, it’ll fall back to basic USBA power output to support legacy devices. If you’ve seen that, then your power source is to blame (the USBC charger, which wasn’t properly designed to “fall back”).

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bad chargers, bad devices, weirdness between dash charging, USB-c fast charging, a-c cables with and without resistors, Qualcomm fast charging, and legacy charging, it's all a large can of worms with many combinations.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Sometimes it's easiest to use a dumb cable that cuts all data lines, and sometimes the data lines are needed for any charging.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
FWIW I was poking around the other day for USB C hardwire kits and there aren’t many good options hat are low profile. Fortunately Im fine with 2.1amps but all the PD amps kits seem obnoxiously packaged.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHook