My new Merc comes with C to C charging in fron only. Can Theia still work?

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I am lucky to have a Sept 2020 Benz GLC 300 and horror of horrors, I see in the front 2 C to C ports and wireless charger. No cigarette socket and no USB to C port!!!!. Centre bin has a cigarette socket behind me but for God's sake does this mean I have to have some kind of weird wired everywhere set up to get theia or hard wire or....? C'mon MB what where you thinking?

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I am lucky to have a Sept 2020 Benz GLC 300 and horror of horrors, I see in the front 2 C to C ports and wireless charger. No cigarette socket and no USB to C port!!!!. Centre bin has a cigarette socket behind me but for God's sake does this mean I have to have some kind of weird wired everywhere set up to get theia or hard wire or....? C'mon MB what where you thinking?
I would imagine the hardwire adapter would work in any vehicle. The lack of USB ports is curious though.

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is the hardwire kit easy to install / expensive? Canada dollars ugly

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just to be clear here, this is an issue for my personal choice of vehicle and I believe the shortsightedness of MB to exclude USB c type in their vehicles. Radenso are assisting me with some details around this already and it's not a design fault or issue with THEIA. I think it's an important topic for to be aware of in the spirit of transparency and if you want to even buy a new Merc! I am quite disappointed with MB as my dashcam set up is also needing some major review now this MB approach has been put into production vehicles
Post automatically merged:

Since Theia is not available yet, no one knows.
Fair point, I wasn't sure if current hardware kit would be the one to be used or a new kit

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to be clear here, this is an issue for my personal choice of vehicle and I believe the shortsightedness of MB to exclude USB c type in their vehicles. Radenso are assisting me with some details around this already and it's not a design fault or issue with THEIA. I think it's an important topic for to be aware of in the spirit of transparency and if you want to even buy a new Merc! I am quite disappointed with MB as my dashcam set up is also needing some major review now this MB approach has been put into production vehicles

Fair point, I wasn't sure if current hardware kit would be the one to be used or a new kit
I believe I remember Jon mentioned that USB C was required because of the higher power draw, and current RD wire kits (RJ) don't have capacity for it.
USB or USB C maybe you can install your own power ports and run a power cable like a hardwire kit.

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I believe I remember Jon mentioned that USB C was required because of the higher power draw, and current RD wire kits (RJ) don't have capacity for it.
USB or USB C maybe you can install your own power ports and run a power cable like a hardwire kit.
I recall USB c type was going to be supported as well by Radenso. Just very odd that there is no usb port in car. Yes I should looked in the car but I thought USB C was current and relevant standard never thinking it wasn't even going to have any ports. Randy is doing his digging around to see if he can find any information for me. I plan to have a look at all my accessories and see what can do, however thank bjesus for the one cigarette socket in the back and my ProM.

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm confused... Didn't you say in the first post that there's 2 USB-C ports?

PY004

Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What's a C to C port?

I don't quite understand what USB to C types are either.

PY004

Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here's what USB-C ports look like.

1605978295355.png

And this is what USB-A ports look like.

1605978325326.png

But I am not sure what C to C ports or USB to C types mean in your context.

natedog7700

PSL + whatever i feel like
Beginner User
Reaction score
Usb C is the new USB A port. Nothing changes besides adding an adapter if needed. I wish everything was only USB c to c, its far superior in every regard.

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The little end that goes into your Android device is the "C" connector and the big end that goes onto the charger/power supply is a "USB" connector.

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
The little end that goes into your Android device is the "C" connector and the big end that goes onto the charger/power supply is a "USB" connector.
Except in this case it's C connections at both ends.

Hmmm wait a second, if the Theia Type direct to the unit and the cable other end is also C type then we are good to go. Its only and issue if Theia comes with a USB connection at the other end, correct?

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
USB C connection on both ends allows full fast charging capabilities on USB C devices.
USB A to USB C has less capabilities.
Just get new data cables USB C to USB C for newer devices and it's all good.
I got USB C 12v lighter adapters to power my newer phones on fast charge in vehicles.

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
USB C connection on both ends allows full fast charging capabilities on USB C devices.
USB A to USB C has less capabilities.
Just get new data cables USB C to USB C for newer devices and it's all good.
I got USB C 12v lighter adapters to power my newer phones on fast charge in vehicles.
I have purchased three c to c, I will look at the c lighter adaptor thanks.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as “C to C” there are only USB ports, in either USB A or USB C connector types. iPhones since the 11 come with a cable that plugs into USB C on one end and lightning on the other. Most (all?) modern Android phones have USB C ports, and I think even current iPads. USB C is more compact, has better retention, and can support more features including higher power delivery ratings

If you have USB C ports, that’s a good thing. Pretty much everything is moving to USB C, and the new USB4 standard uses ONLY the USB C connectors. Theia accepts only USB C for power. There is nothing wrong with MB providing you multiple USB C ports, except you may have to replace your old cables that had USB A connectors on one end.

EDIT: Check your owners manual and look for the specifications on the USB ports (with the C connectors). How much wattage or amperage output can they provide? Are they listed as supporting PD (aka Power Delivery)? They probably do, which is awesome. It means no need for some sort of cigarette lighter adapter or whatever for fast charging your devices. You can get cables with USB C on one end for the car and whatever you need on the other end for your devices, whether also USB C for current Android devices and Theia and so on (you should hard wire it anyway), or for USB Micro, or Lightning, or even USB Mini like for some handheld scanners and such.

Last edited:

keefrto

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as “C to C” there are only USB ports, in either USB A or USB C connector types. iPhones since the 11 come with a cable that plugs into USB C on one end and lightning on the other. Most (all?) modern Android phones have USB C ports, and I think even current iPads. USB C is more compact, has better retention, and can support more features including higher power delivery ratings

If you have USB C ports, that’s a good thing. Pretty much everything is moving to USB C, and the new USB4 standard uses ONLY the USB C connectors. Theia accepts only USB C for power. There is nothing wrong with MB providing you multiple USB C ports, except you may have to replace your old cables that had USB A connectors on one end.

EDIT: Check your owners manual and look for the specifications on the USB ports (with the C connectors). Do they support PD (aka Power Delivery)? They probably do, which is awesome. It means no need for some sort of cigarette lighter adapter or whatever for fast charging your devices. You can get cables with USB C on one end for the car and whatever you need on the other end for your devices, whether also USB C for current Android devices and Theia and so on (you should hard wire it anyway), or for USB Micro, or Lightning, or even USB Mini like for some handheld scanners and such.
Okay, so I didn't use the word usb, it's still a c connection with a c connection at the other end. Most folks would be familiar with one c type end and a fatter usb connected at the other end, same as plugging in a usb device to a computer, fair enough. Am delighted that there is a cable out there for Theia if I am reading you correctly?

I had to upgrade when my devices all went USB C.
No regrets.
View attachment 165404 View attachment 165405
I have those cables for sure and I don't believe at this time I need the adapter. However until we know what connection Theia has built in I will have to wait to see what I need to purchase.

EDIT: Check your owners manual and look for the specifications on the USB ports (with the C connectors). How much wattage or amperage output can they provide? Are they listed as supporting PD (aka Power Delivery)? They probably do, which is awesome. It means no need for some sort of cigarette lighter adapter or whatever for fast charging your devices. You can get cables with USB C on one end for the car and whatever you need on the other end for your devices, whether also USB C for current Android devices and Theia and so on (you should hard wire it anyway), or for USB Micro, or Lightning, or even USB Mini like for some handheld scanners and such.
Am going to have a read today, am pleased but shocked with the USB C as it is better, just current devices don't work that way until I purchase more stuff. Cables in drawers ++++. I await Randy and what Radenso will supply /recommend what cable Theia can work with.

Last edited:

PY004

Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm just confused as the port was referred to as a C to C port. C to C cable I would understand.

But if Theia comes with a USB-C port, all you need is a USB-C cable and you can utilize the USB-C port to connect it to the car's USB-C port.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jromjr