New here, one more facet of engineers desease

smopoim86

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I've always been a gear addict and a driving enthusiast but hadn't put much thought into getting a RD until I found myself dating someone 100 miles away on the other side of the mountains. Driving 40 from western NC to Knoxville I didn't have much faith in Waze due to mediocre service and decided a radar detector made sense. I did some research, mostly Vortex reviews, and settled on an R7. Since then I've had a couple saves and wondered how I went so long without it. Around here it seems like almost all LE is running Ka so I've left the R7 in city mode and been happy with the performance. I've recently purchased an r3 to put in the second car so I don't have to move the detector back and forth. I don't foresee this hobby getting too much out of hand but I've went down the rabbit hole on many different hobbies (hence the engineer's disease).

Unlike most people's attitude toward this year, my year has been pretty awesome. I met Sara in Jan and then due to COVID was first demanded to work from home then allowed to continue working from home. This allowed me to take a road trip I've been wanting to take for quite a while. We set out in August and traveled across 12 states over the course of 82 days only staying in a campground for 10 nights. We went to many national parks and both saw lots of new places. We put 6500 miles on the class A RV and an additional 5000 miles on the TOAD (09 Forester). I have to say, if you've ever wanted to do something like it, quit making excuses and figure out how to do it. It was pretty dang amazing and not really that expensive.

Daniel
20200908_091546-XL.jpg

20200822_190641-XL.jpg

PS If you can't work on your own stuff you better have deep pockets. That breakdown made for one heck of an adventure but cost less than $100 to fix.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I've always been a gear addict and a driving enthusiast but hadn't put much thought into getting a RD until I found myself dating someone 100 miles away on the other side of the mountains. Driving 40 from western NC to Knoxville I didn't have much faith in Waze due to mediocre service and decided a radar detector made sense. I did some research, mostly Vortex reviews, and settled on an R7. Since then I've had a couple saves and wondered how I went so long without it. Around here it seems like almost all LE is running Ka so I've left the R7 in city mode and been happy with the performance. I've recently purchased an r3 to put in the second car so I don't have to move the detector back and forth. I don't foresee this hobby getting too much out of hand but I've went down the rabbit hole on many different hobbies (hence the engineer's disease).

Unlike most people's attitude toward this year, my year has been pretty awesome. I met Sara in Jan and then due to COVID was first demanded to work from home then allowed to continue working from home. This allowed me to take a road trip I've been wanting to take for quite a while. We set out in August and traveled across 12 states over the course of 82 days only staying in a campground for 10 nights. We went to many national parks and both saw lots of new places. We put 6500 miles on the class A RV and an additional 5000 miles on the TOAD (09 Forester). I have to say, if you've ever wanted to do something like it, quit making excuses and figure out how to do it. It was pretty dang amazing and not really that expensive.

Daniel
View attachment 165170
View attachment 165171
PS If you can't work on your own stuff you better have deep pockets. That breakdown made for one heck of an adventure but cost less than $100 to fix.

Welcome to the forum. Great intro and we're glad to have you here. Being an engineer, you should fit in with all the other smart people around here. I exclude myself from that group.
Great choice on the R7. Many of us here have one, (some have 2, @DC Fluid), and really enjoy its performance.
Is it legal to use a radar detector in a class A RV? I ask because I truly don't know if the size and weight decide in non-business vehicles.

smopoim86

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is it legal to use a radar detector in a class A RV? I ask because I truly don't know if the size and weight decide in non-business vehicles.

No, I think the limit is typically 18-26000 lb for non commercial vehicles. I never had the detector running in the RV. There were a few times it could have had some value but most of the trip we were under the speed limit by a considerable margin. Lots of 75 and 80mph interstates. It'll go 80 but I prefer running no more than about 73 unless I needed to make a pass. Fuel economy at 80 would be under 6mpg. I averaged about 7 on the trip.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
Daniel, welcome aboard !!

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome Daniel! I think you'll fit in nicely around here. Just a fair warning to you, I said I wouldn't go too deep down the rabbit hole when I started here. Hoooo boy did that end up not being the case 😂

smopoim86

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome Daniel! I think you'll fit in nicely around here. Just a fair warning to you, I said I wouldn't go too deep down the rabbit hole when I started here. Hoooo boy did that end up not being the case 😂
My daily driver is also a TDI Sportwagen. It's such a good highway car. There's not a horrible fuel penalty for flying either.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome!