3D Printed Kia Stinger Front Plate Mount?

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been playing around with a front plate mount design for a Kia Stinger (1TX, 2RX, ALP). Hacking into the upper grill would be rather expensive, and the lower grill only goes to about 15 inches off the ground, so I was thinking I could try this first.

This would put the bottom of the TX at exactly 20 inches off the ground (can't really get any higher unless I cut into the camera module), it's 21.5 wide at it's widest point.

Any thoughts before I print my first mock up? Or is this a horrible idea to start with?

RX sensors would be in line with the black line drawn below:

1605665714414.png

1605665072394.png
1605665087351.png

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Those cable routes are really bad ass! I'm just going to tag a few of our 3D Design people here to make sure they see this cool project you're working on.

@Flonase @wrxsti15 @OBeerWANKenobi @woopies

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice design. I'd say print it and then test, as testing is the only way that you'll know for sure if it's going to work or not.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the once over. This would be my first set of parking sensors, I decided I needed to figure out viable mounting before buying them, and I haven't seen many front plate mounts.

I'll make a rough quality test print, if it passes a car fitment sanity check I'll order up a set of 2RX & 1TX for front and back. Then spin another front mount with touch-ups and start working on the rear.

STLs will get posted once they are dialed in, right now it wouldn't be very useful to anyone beyond the general concept.

woopies

Lurking
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did you have (inside) tapers for the head inserts? Also, maybe this is my OCD...but you could also add a tab/lip to the head inserts. That way you don't have to guess if they are too far out/in. Besides that that's pretty neat :D. Haven't seen someone try front mounts before.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did you have (inside) tapers for the head inserts? Also, maybe this is my OCD...but you could also add a tab/lip to the head inserts. That way you don't have to guess if they are too far out/in. Besides that that's pretty neat :D. Haven't seen someone try front mounts before.
Yes, these are great callouts. Another thing to consider - I found it useful to make the opening for the RX heads a little bit larger than the actual housing, and just make a narrower section for an interference fit in the back. I didn't want to risk damaging the rubber seal around the front lens when inserting or removing them. Just a suggestion.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
woopies & Flonase, thanks for the tips, I'll need to make those changes in the next revision, once I get some real heads to measure from. Right now I am just going off the pictures and dimensions on the ALP website.

Fauxshowpony, glad you brought that up. Beyond the functional aspect of mounting (height, angle, spacing), I am curious about how the aesthetics will turn out. I don't see people running front plate mounts often. I do have to run a front plate, so I figured I might be able to make the most of it. Due to my front center camera, the TX would likely need to license plate mount no matter what. And I feel like cutting into the upper grills to make room for RX sensors might actually stand out more, unless I repainted the entire grill black or something.

I don't want this to stand out like a sore thumb at a distance, but I figure some trade-offs will have to be made.

I sketched up a rear mount and ran a few prints over the last day. From my tests, the front mount clears the camera, and the TX actually sits at 20-21 inches. It's very strong. The rear mount is going to need the TX moved over a little bit more to clear the camera, and will likely be at least an inch off center (will check once I have a real TX in hand). Strength is reasonable.

Overall, I think the rear mount design is really good, and will just need minor dimensional tweaking.

The front looks pretty good too, but I want to look at it on a sunny day from a distance.

Thoughts?
Post automatically merged:

Note: Wires for the front bumper will go through the lower grill gaps behind the plate, and should not be visible. Rear plate wires should be able to go up through the plate light fixtures with a little notch in the plastic.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201120_071943.jpg
    IMG_20201120_071943.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201120_072001.jpg
    IMG_20201120_072001.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20201120_072655.jpg
    IMG_20201120_072655.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20201120_072714.jpg
    IMG_20201120_072714.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201120_072718.jpg
    IMG_20201120_072718.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201120_073106.jpg
    IMG_20201120_073106.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is what I make my holders at:
1605886568765.png

It seems to be a nice snug fit for all my heads. That being said, if one is a little loose, just put some tape around it and press it in.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is what I make my holders at:

It seems to be a nice snug fit for all my heads. That being said, if one is a little loose, just put some tape around it and press it in.
Thanks for the dimensions. Tape is a good idea, I was also considering a dab of black RTV.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the dimensions. Tape is a good idea, I was also considering a dab of black RTV.
Yeah, RTV or even a little Sugru would work as well.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The rear one looks Great. I would be a little concerned on what you will use to level it. The plate mounting may not be perfectly vertical. Also, it looks quite stout but make sure it cant oscillate with that much cantilevered
Overall, I think the rear mount design is really good, and will just need minor dimensional tweaking.

The front looks pretty good too, but I want to look at it on a sunny day from a distance.

Thoughts?

I personally would not do your front setup. It is not only very much exposed to elements and humans (both physical bumping and theft), but IF you did get pulled over even in a legal state I would not want to deal with that risk

your grill mesh is a proven location and can be hidden with Perspex if you want ultra clean.

I would buy a used or aftermarket replacement mesh, snip a few hexes out and bond in a holder, saving the factory mesh for when you sell the car or if the system ends up not working for some reason. A China eBay knockoff mesh is going to be cheaper than a print

the rear doesn’t have the same issues because it’s under the lip IMO

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I personally would not do your front setup. It is not only very much exposed to elements and humans (both physical bumping and theft), but IF you did get pulled over even in a legal state I would not want to deal with that risk

Front and rear were measured with a digital angle gauge for the first print, then I used Flonase's boresight to shoot a laser out and take more measurements. The next version of the rear print will tweak the angles by about 1-2 more degrees more (Rear is close to a 15 degree tilt, front is almost completely straight). Final install would likely involve minor shimming.

Thanks for your input on the front. Ultimately I'm not too worried about theft or the weather, but I am not familiar with the etiquette of how exposed one can be. I can source a spare grill and do cutting if I need to, I know more stealth is better, but I kinda feel like the rears are just as visible as the fronts.

If someone vaguely has an idea of what they are looking for the heads will be seen at close range, won't they? And the TX will always be sticking out in front here, unless I'm missing something.

1606049536358.png

Post automatically merged:

Real sensors have been ordered, when they arrive I'll take more dimensions and see what I can do.

I just feel like this is only going to be as hidden as it's weakest link, and the front TX sensor (and exposed rears) is going to set the benchmark.

Maybe it would be viable to dress up the front plate bracket with some laser cut plexiglass?

Last edited:

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Fauxshowpony's advice and exploring an alternative mounting options.

My final old front design is now located here (with OBeerWANKenobi's extra head tolerance), if anyone wants to play with it:

After 3D printing some fake RX sensors to test with, I believe I can mount the lower RX sensors in front of the bottom grill and simply 3D print a bracket that mates to the grill or the upper trim, or both.

This would put the RX sensors at 15 inches from the ground. Is this acceptable?

1606163781565.png

1606163939029.png

1606163957110.png

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm sure you already saw this...
Nope! I have not seen that before. Thank you very much, I had searched the forums quite a bit, but all I found was stuff about the Stinger VIP, and not the Kia Stinger.

Since the upper grill is a can of worms, I'm going to try something like the NY shop did first.

I have about 48 hours of prints queued up, it should look something like below when I am done.

1606237369546.png

The idea is that it's still license plate mount, but will drop the RX heads below and slightly behind the plate so they are recessed into the lower grill, using almost the exact locations that the NY shop used.

Last edited:

Shiny

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Nope! I have not seen that before. Thank you very much, I had searched the forums quite a bit, but all I found was stuff about the Stinger VIP, and not the Kia Stinger.

Since the upper grill is a can of worms, I'm going to try something like the NY shop did first.

I have about 48 hours of prints queued up, it should look something like below when I am done.

View attachment 165657

The idea is that it's still license plate mount, but will drop the RX heads below and slightly behind the plate so they are recessed into the lower grill, using almost the exact locations that the NY shop used.

Probably have to use google search <site:rdforum.org "kia" "stinger"> that's what I do on the stinger forums (I'm a Stinger owner too)

Interested in the final product as I'm looking into buying LIDAR too!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronton617