Why Theia at a price point of $1000+ is not cost effective.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Alfa Romeo = Things That Fall Apart.
No, ALFA ROMEO = All Loosely Fitted Accessories Remain On Motorway Enraging Others

jfr0317

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here: While Theia might perform like a Porsche, my expectation is that it will be far more reliable. If you wanted to drive a 911 every day you better own two or three. This is Radenso's first RD so there is no data on which to base my theory other than what I've seen from Porsche. But then nothing else drives like one.
With, truly, all due respect, especially since we both love Makers Mark Private Select, the multiple Porsches I have owned over 35 years, including the 3 I currently own are the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Let's hope Theia is as good or better.

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just dropped 1200 on a new phone so what's another 1k on a detector that will obsolete the others?

This. ^ .. But I wouldn’t say “obsolete”.
I’ve been thinking the same thing this whole thread (although I’m holding out for the iPhone 13). Jon even acknowledges that Theia is a luxury not a necessity. I could buy a iPhone SE for $400 and it will function fine; or I can buy a 12 Pro Max for $1200.... just because I can. Will I really get $800 more “value” on the iPhone 12? Probably not. But I will get the warm fuzzy feeling that I have a new toy that will do a little extra and likely be more future proof. Then.... I’ll get a new one before the future proofing took effect .

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
With, truly, all due respect, especially since we both love Makers Mark Private Select, the multiple Porsches I have owned over 35 years, including the 3 I currently own are the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Let's hope Theia is as good or better.
No offense intended! Consider me a Porsche fan. It's the amazing old air/oil cooled 911 that I'm remembering needing lots of shop time. My neighbor has a newer Turbo that is stupid fast but he laughs/cries about the maintenance cost. Speed kills your wallet, no matter what brand. Lambos are cool, Ferraris beautiful, but Porsche has always been my favorite. Maybe Jon will give offer a quantity discount if you buy in lots of 3 or greater.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Porsches are the ONLY brand I don't see routinely break on track, or that don't need extensive modifications to be driven at a high level on track. Pads and fluids and that's it, they are good to go. They don't overheat, the transmissions don't go into limp mode, the turbos don't blow, the gas tanks don't have pickup problems under high G, the wheel bearings don't get cooked prematurely, etc, etc, etc. BMWs, Corvettes, etc, all have to be heavily modified to be reliable over a track season if you are a fast driver - not the case with Porsches. They just keep taking a beating and asking for more.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
This. ^ .. But I wouldn’t say “obsolete”.
I’ve been thinking the same thing this whole thread (although I’m holding out for the iPhone 13). Jon even acknowledges that Theia is a luxury not a necessity. I could buy a iPhone SE for $400 and it will function fine; or I can buy a 12 Pro Max for $1200.... just because I can. Will I really get $800 more “value” on the iPhone 12? Probably not. But I will get the warm fuzzy feeling that I have a new toy that will do a little extra and likely be more future proof. Then.... I’ll get a new one before the future proofing took effect .
Not a good comparison because that on the subject of battery life alone, that SE has less life than a normal iPhone 12 Pro which has a smaller battery than previous models, let alone the Max. And that’s just battery... depending on what you’re doing with the phone, speed is on another level, but that’s why I picked battery... you’ll kill that SE battery quicker.
Post automatically merged:

No offense intended! Consider me a Porsche fan. It's the amazing old air/oil cooled 911 that I'm remembering needing lots of shop time. My neighbor has a newer Turbo that is stupid fast but he laughs/cries about the maintenance cost. Speed kills your wallet, no matter what brand. Lambos are cool, Ferraris beautiful, but Porsche has always been my favorite. Maybe Jon will give offer a quantity discount if you buy in lots of 3 or greater.
Lol, that’s because he probably gets raped at the stealership.
Post automatically merged:

Porsches are the ONLY brand I don't see routinely break on track, or that don't need extensive modifications to be driven at a high level on track. Pads and fluids and that's it, they are good to go. They don't overheat, the transmissions don't go into limp mode, the turbos don't blow, the gas tanks don't have pickup problems under high G, the wheel bearings don't get cooked prematurely, etc, etc, etc. BMWs, Corvettes, etc, all have to be heavily modified to be reliable over a track season if you are a fast driver - not the case with Porsches. They just keep taking a beating and asking for more.
The shafts/center cartridges on some of them are kinda shit. Spin it too fast and they don’t hold up well to constant abuse once tuned and pushed a bit. That said, a nice set of turbos to replace the stockers fixes that and then you can smack it around daily and it’ll do it over and over.

Last edited:

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll mention adding GT3 brake ducts to the models without is also needed. Still that's like a $30 plastic part that clips onto the LCA.

There is a Corvette trim that does fine on track. Grand Sport with a manual transmission. But yeah anything with automatic or supercharger from GM is an overheat machine.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Being that I have a Barracuda, this is my favorite.

Mopar = Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
Until there is a kink in the road :happyanim:

P.S. Please take no offense. I just couldn't help myself

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Not once... But twice... Granted the second time it was a GM engine. The first time was a ticking time bomb with the milage...

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Not once... But twice... Granted the second time it was a GM engine.

I was honestly talking about the 991 series. They are bulletproof. Earlier Porsches had some issues like IMS, and there was the recall on the first gen 991 GT3 engines that is now fixed. But the 991 Porsches are unparalleled on track for reliability among modern cars in their performance tier (not talking about Miatas here) and it's not even close. Anyone who actively tracks will not even debate this.

Last edited:

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was honestly talking about the 991 series. They are bulletproof. Earlier Porsches had some issues like IMS. But the 991 Porsches are unparalleled on track for reliability among modern cars in their performance tier (not talking about Miatas here) and it's not even close. Anyone who actively tracks will not even debate this.
Yeah... No thanks... I'd rather have a vette over a Porsche... But I'd still rather have an Alfa or lotus...

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Yeah... No thanks... I'd rather have a vette over a Porsche... But I'd still rather have an Alfa or lotus...

Modern corvettes are horrible on track (not speaking about C8, they are too new for me to have experience with). C7s on track are a reliability and performance disaster without being heavily, heavily modified.

C6 Z06? Yes please - amazing cars, after you fix the weak points. But that was kind of my point; Porsches are the only mass produced modern cars you don't have to "fix the weak points" before tracking at a high level.

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Modern corvettes are horrible on track (not speaking about C8, they are too new for me to have experience with). C7s on track are a reliability and performance disaster without being heavily, heavily modified.

C6 Z06? Yes please - amazing cars, after you fix the weak points. But that was kind of my point; Porsches are the only mass produced modern cars you don't have to "fix the weak points" before tracking at a high level.
The LS is so easy to work on though Jon... You have to do an engine out for most stuff on a Porsche.

Again I'd rather have an odd ball car... But if I had to choose a vette or Porsche... It's the Vette every time...

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
The LS is so easy to work on though Jon... You have to do an engine out for most stuff on a Porsche.

Again I'd rather have an odd ball car... But if I had to choose a vette or Porsche... It's the Vette every time...

My buddy has done 38 track weekends this year in his GT3 RS with nothing besides plugs and oil changes. Don't need to really service anything in them. Plugs on the 991 are a 30min DIY.

If you want a fast American car on track, Camaros are the way to go. They are more solid than the Vette for track duty. A well set up Camaro is a BEAST and they can fit insane tires on them, something like 325 up front.

Last edited:

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My buddy has done 38 track weekends this year in his GT3 RS with nothing besides plugs and oil changes. Don't need to really service anything in them. Plugs on the 991 are a 30min DIY.

If you want a fast American car on track, Camaros are the way to go. They are more solid than the Vette for track duty. A well set up Camaro is a BEAST and they can fit insane tires on them, something like 325 up front.
If I was to even think about pony cars I would go Dodge... It's like we're opposites clearly when it comes to cars Jon...

I like to tinker... It's what I do... An engine isn't going to stay stock if it's a fun car for me... I've built old Nissan's and Mazda's... I've done my fair share with camaro's in my high school years... No thanks... If I'm putting the time into it I want something lower to the ground. If I bought I a 991 I would still want to tinker...

Thing is if you mod, things are going to break... And that's no different with x brand over y brand...

Same goes with my computers and electronics...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olemil