Why Theia at a price point of $1000+ is not cost effective.

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If money was no object, then the right choice for driving PSL+15 would be:
ALP laser jammers with quad heads, $1339.00
Radenso Theia, $1000.00
Waze and JBV1 in standalone mode.
Total with installation would be $2500!

With this level of protection, according to my experience of defending over 6k tickets, you chance of getting a speeding ticket would still be around 20 %.
If you dropped the ALP laser jammers, you chances would increase to 60%.
If you ran a V1G2 or a Uniden R7, or even a Uniden R1, your chances would remain the same.

Lately, my experience suggests that 40% Laser, 40% Ka-Band Radar and 20% Pacing.
50% of the 100mph+ tickets on the Interstate is with pacing.

Radenso Theia would not protect against the 40% laser and 20% pacing tickets.

Is the $500 extra of the Uniden R7 or Valentie 1 Gen. 2 worth the quietness, without the added protection?

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
If money was no object, then the right choice for driving PSL+15 would be:
ALP laser jammers with quad heads, $1339.00
Radenso Theia, $1000.00
Waze and JBV1 in standalone mode.
Total with installation would be $2500!

With this level of protection, according to my experience of defending over 6k tickets, you chance of getting a speeding ticket would still be around 20 %.
If you dropped the ALP laser jammers, you chances would increase to 60%.
If you ran a V1G2 or a Uniden R7, or even a Uniden R1, your chances would remain the same.

Lately, my experience suggests that 40% Laser, 40% Ka-Band Radar and 20% Pacing.
50% of the 100mph+ tickets on the Interstate is with pacing.

Radenso Theia would not protect against the 40% laser and 20% pacing tickets.

Is the $500 extra of the Uniden R7 or Valentie 1 Gen. 2 worth the quietness, without the added protection?
Yes. The idea here is no false alerts. If it comes true, this will be a very quiet detector. The two you named perform great versus Ka but Ka has not been the issue. Its been the need for filtering to quiet things without going too far. (or not enough). When you hear the detector too much you can become complacent. The thought of a device that does more to determine real/fake is going to be huge. Price is beside the point. Its either within your budget or its not.

I think JBV1 will have an opportunity to integrate the way it does with the V1 so we will see what that combo brings.
Good info on the other parts. I dont yet have ALP but in my current area, you dont see much laser used. In town but they sit so long they are almost always on Waze.

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
20% chance of getting a speeding ticket with all of that? How often? Going what speed. Wonky, math is wonky. If you don’t want to pay for a Theia, no one will force it on you.

edit: It’s been said numerous times, Theia will not be $1000 plus.

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
Want to know what's even more cost effective? Going the speed limit! Boom, now you never have to worry about a speeding ticket ever again.

The rest of us who drive quickly will spend our money the way we feel the need to in order to have the best protection for us.

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Theia isn’t just a radar and laser detector and I think many of you keep forgetting that. It has the potential to do many other things in the future with the hardware it processes.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Theia isn’t just a radar and laser detector and I think many of you keep forgetting that. It has the potential to do many other things in the future with the hardware it processes.
Like lap times my SUV will never do. Ha. Just messing with you Randy.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It comes down to where you drive and the threats you face, if you are mainly on busy highways with easy terrain and they mainly run C/O ka band then yes the extra range may not be a big deal and you might opt to run very low sensitivity to kband. The thing is if you drive more rural areas or around the city and they use kband having a detector that's not beeping at every door opener and BSM vehicle is really nice. Also when you get rural if you are facing I/O having more range can be the difference between catching someone ahead getting hit with it or missing that shot and getting roasted. The other thing to consider is terrain, FL is pretty flat and open, take even a sensitive detector like an R1 up to the mountains of the Carolinas or newengland and you will do well to get 0.5 miles, in many cases even less... Add I/O or a tough frequency like 35.5 and you will want more range and more sensitivity. The problem with more sensitivity is more falses as you can pick BSM and door openers you would miss with a less sensitive detector. I agree theia isnt going to be for everyone, but for those in tough terrain or kband heavy areas that have a lead foot it will be a nice change.

Fredvs79

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My last tickets were 6 months ago. Got caught on Long Island expressway at 11pm doing 80mph in a 55mph. Everyone drives fast here, but not at all times of the day. Cop that gave me the ticket also issued me a ticket for “following too closely”. My RD set to detect Ka never even chirped. I don’t use K band really because too many falses, and no cops here use K band. I was running Waze, but no police were reported in that area. The ticket cited “pacing the vehicle” as means of verifying speed.

I was looking at 6 points, which immediately puts me in the NY dangerous driver category of paying extra money to the state, plus an insurance hike, plus fines and court costs. I paid a lawyer $550 to make it all go away and it was reduced to a non-moving violation with a $50 fine.

It’s sad that that is even possible, because it’s all about the money.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
A Porsche isn't cost effective either. Strangely, they sell a few hundred thousand of them each year. Theia isn't for everyone - if you're struggling to pay your bills, I really would suggest looking at something cheaper.

But there are a lot of people who have money and buy things because they are the best, they are beautiful, they just want to have the most expensive one, etc, etc, etc. Theia isn't supposed to be cost effective - it's supposed to be a statement piece for discerning owners who want the Porsche of radar detectors. Right now, such a thing doesn't really exist. There are good performers and really excellent functional detectors, but nothing that blends performance with technology with quality like we are trying to do. Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage said it the best - he runs a Uniden R7 because it's better than nothing, but he thinks all current radar detectors are so cheap and poorly designed and old technology that he is not excited about selling any of them in his store - a multi million dollar retail outlet that specifically focuses on higher end, discerning customers.

Last edited:

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ohhhh! Will she help with parking in the future ?

Disconnected

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Explain how Theia helps against pacing and Dragon Eye laser? About 60% of the tickets at 100+ mph on I-95 and I-4, in North Florida, are those types of speed measurement.

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Explain how Theia helps against pacing and Dragon Eye laser? About 60% of the tickets at 100+ mph on I-95 and I-4, in North Florida, are those types of speed measurement.
Bro, you’ve made up your mind. Why you want people to spend time convincing you in another direction.

just buy the $40 cobra from a truck stop.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
A Porsche isn't cost effective either. Strangely, they sell a few hundred thousand of them each year. Theia isn't for everyone - if you're struggling to pay your bills, I really would suggest looking at something cheaper.

But there are a lot of people who have money and buy things because they are the best, they are beautiful, they just want to have the most expensive one, etc, etc, etc. Theia isn't supposed to be cost effective - it's supposed to be a statement piece for discerning owners who want the Porsche of radar detectors. Right now, such a thing doesn't really exist. There are good performers and really excellent functional detectors, but nothing that blends performance with technology with quality like we are trying to do. Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage said it the best - he runs a Uniden R7 because it's better than nothing, but he thinks all current radar detectors are so cheap and poorly designed and old technology that he is not excited about selling any of them in his store - a multi million dollar retail outlet that specifically focuses on higher end, discerning customers.

I'm going out on a limb here: While Theia might perform like a Porsche, my expectation is that it will be far more reliable. If you wanted to drive a 911 every day you better own two or three. This is Radenso's first RD so there is no data on which to base my theory other than what I've seen from Porsche. But then nothing else drives like one.

Last edited:

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Pacing doesn’t use radar or laser so no radar detector would help you with that. Same with laser detection, there is another thread already in this section discussion Theia laser detection.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Let me just point out that the opening poster is a very experienced traffic defense lawyer who I feel is asking a genuine question. @wayne77 With the numbers he has from his own set of cases he’s defended, he’s in a good position to look at aggregate data from his cases that he has worked.

If one is to look at this as through the eyes of risk vs. reward, scenarios will vary greatly.

Let’s say I drive a 10 year old Hyundai Sonata and my insurance is $100/mo. I get stopped for 21 mph over the limit. If I get a citation that goes on my record, I can expect my insurance costs to go up about 40% for the next 3 years (in my experience). Additionally, the costs of the citation where I live would be almost $400 due to steep ticket fines initially and an additional 90% court surcharge fee.

I’m looking at a $1840 cost to continue driving for the next 3 years.

If the car I am driving is a Bugatti Chiron that cost me $50k a year to insure ($4166 per month), then imagine a 40% insurance hike on that. $50,000 becomes $70,000 per year. That single $400 ticket just cost me an extra $20,000 per year for the next 3 years; an extra $60,000 plus a $400 ticket.

Disconnected’s point is that there is some interesting statistical data that shows on average what kinds of enforcement citations are issued.

Even in situations like the multimillionaire who drives a Bugatti Chiron, there is still no guarantee of anything.

To each and every person, we must all make our own risk vs. reward analysis for ourselves. I can spend a few dollars, or I can spend a lot of money on my countermeasures, yet it is all completely relative to me based on my costs of insurance and factoring in my own assessment of my likelyhood of getting a RADAR and or LIDAR ticket. (Pacing can’t currently be considered until a method of detecting the LEO not transmitting RADAR is available to us all. Jon and Randy have hinted that it may be possible to detect other radio emissions from sources such as the Spectre RDD. Depending on the spectrum that Theia sweeps, it may be possible to directionally detect any HAM radio data modems, if Theia sweeps that low.)

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Converting my car to e85 to get 12mpg wasn't cost effective, but it's fun.
Buying $1000 earbuds wasn't cost effective, but I like them.
Buying a $2000 shotgun that is functionally identical to the $1500 model except for a gimmicky carbon fiber rib isn't cost effective, but I did it anyway because I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff
The thousands of people who spend $10k on custom installed radar detectors are not making cost effective decisions, but they do it anyway because they like the clean look of their car.

I'll just repeat that last point - there are thousands of people spending $8500 more than a Uniden R7 and ALP to get the same or worse level of protection because they don't like looking at a detector on their windshield. There are lots of people who would pay an extra $500 for a windshield detector if it just false alerted even half as much as anything else with zero other benefits.

When moving into luxury markets and luxury purchases, cost effectiveness isn't the point.

Last edited:

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Let me just point out that the opening poster is a very experienced traffic defense lawyer who I feel is asking a genuine question. @wayne77 With the numbers he has from his own set of cases he’s defended, he’s in a good position to look at aggregate data from his cases that he has worked.

If one is to look at this as through the eyes of risk vs. reward, scenarios will vary greatly.

Let’s say I drive a 10 year old Hyundai Sonata and my insurance is $100/mo. I get stopped for 21 mph over the limit. If I get a citation that goes on my record, I can expect my insurance costs to go up about 40% for the next 3 years (in my experience). Additionally, the costs of the citation where I live would be almost $400 due to steep ticket fines initially and an additional 90% court surcharge fee.

I’m looking at a $1840 cost to continue driving for the next 3 years.

If the car I am driving is a Bugatti Chiron that cost me $50k a year to insure ($4166 per month), then imagine a 40% insurance hike on that. $50,000 becomes $70,000 per year. That single $400 ticket just cost me an extra $20,000 per year for the next 3 years; an extra $60,000 plus a $400 ticket.

Disconnected’s point is that there is some interesting statistical data that shows on average what kinds of enforcement citations are issued.

Even in situations like the multimillionaire who drives a Bugatti Chiron, there is still no guarantee of anything.

To each and every person, we must all make our own risk vs. reward analysis for ourselves. I can spend a few dollars, or I can spend a lot of money on my countermeasures, yet it is all completely relative to me based on my costs of insurance and factoring in my own assessment of my likelyhood of getting a RADAR and or LIDAR ticket. (Pacing can’t currently be considered until a method of detecting the LEO not transmitting RADAR is available to us all. Jon and Randy have hinted that it may be possible to detect other radio emissions from sources such as the Spectre RDD. Depending on the spectrum that Theia sweeps, it may be possible to directionally detect any HAM radio data modems, if Theia sweeps that l

Doesn’t seem very attorney like to me. He wants Jon to explain how Theia will protect against dragon eye?

He’s basing all of his data off of two highways in one small area of the country. No detector can help you with pacing. No detector can help you with laser. I didn’t view this as a discussion rather someone crapping in the Radenso section and telling them their new detector isn’t worth what they are asking for it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itzik