Reaction score

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run analog/digital UHF/VHF DMR.

Very nice!

I have a Motorola XPR-7550e DMR radio, the ID-5100A mentioned above and an ID-51 HT with two ZumSpot Nextion hotspots (one setup for D-Star and the other one setup for DMR). I still need to reprogram my Motorola because the ZumSpot doesn't accept the frequency that my old SharkRF Openspot was setup for.

Last edited:

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very nice!

I have a Motorola XPR-7550e DMR radio, the ID-5100A mentioned above and an ID-51 HT with two ZumSpot Nextion hotspots (one for D-Star and the other one for DMR). I still need to reprogram my Motorola because the ZumSpot doesn't accept the frequency that my old SharkRF Openspot was setup for.
I use a BlueDV hotspot paired to my phone when I am using my UHF DMR ht's and can also use my mobile while traveling on low power and the hotspot in either the toolbox of the truck or center console so the mobile rig doesn't overpower it.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You guys are serious about your antennas. @RadarScout how tall is that tower? You'd flush every toilet in the neighborhood if you put the power to that beam. It's been many years since I've seen a beam for CB.
I'll just say there's a large oak in my yard. As far as power, I wouldn't mind being a "big radio" one day. But, I think anything over 4 watts is illegal. I think mine only does about 3.

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll just say there's a large oak in my yard. As far as power, I wouldn't mind being a "big radio" one day. But, I think anything over 4 watts is illegal. I think mine only does about 3.
I have a 500 watt mobile linear.. all mode. AM,FM,USB,LSB and CW... but of course it is not 11 meter ;} and I would NEVER go outside FCC rules. I never speed or lie either.

For years I have been telling you guys I build antenna's as a hobby, directional and omni,...no one listens...

Straight laced... thats me.

Last edited:

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a 500 watt mobile linear.. all mode. AM,FM,USB,LSB and CW... but of course it is not 11 meter ;} and I would NEVER go outside FCC rules. I never speed or lie either.

For years I have been telling you guys I build antenna's as a hobby, directional and omni,...no one listens...

Straight laced... thats me.
Does your engine misfire when you key up that beast? LOL

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does your engine misfire when you key up that beast? LOL
No, I run it on a secondary battery set up with a battery isolator.

spinner55

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How does mounting it on the bed rail behind the cab give you more gain ahead?
Not really - it cuts down the range. Due to the fact the cab blocks the signal. Plus the ground plane is behind it toward the back. With the rebar setup. You are getting the base above the truck. It see's the ground plane ahead of it. It's hard to please everyone - some like high antenna's mounted in the clear. There are lots of books on the subject of antenna mounting / ground planes etc. (mostly ham but remember 27 mhz was a ham freq till they moved it over to the CB. CB was at one time a UHF based service) I've seen a setup (like the rebar) used on K40's etc. Just a larger base on top. Good luck everyone. Be safe and Merry this Christmas season. Spin

ljh505

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
but remember 27 mhz was a ham freq till they moved it over to the CB.
The 27 MHz band was allocated worldwide as an ISM band (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band) but the hams were given an allocation there as a consolation prize when the feds took away the upper 300 kHz of the 10 meter ham band from 29.7 to 30.0 MHz. Then 27 MHz was re-allocated to the "Class D" CB Radio Service. So it wasn't a "ham band" for very long.

Last edited:

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The 27 MHz band was allocated worldwide as an ISM band (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band) but the hams were given an allocation there as a consolation prize when the feds took away the upper 300 kHz of the 10 meter ham band from 29.7 to 30.0 MHz. Then 27 MHz was re-allocated to the "Class D" CB Radio Service. So it wasn't a "ham band" for very long.

I guess you could say hams had 11 meters twice, from the beginning of ham radio until 1924, and from 1947 to 1958.

Prior to 1912 frequencies were unregulated, so hams had anything they wanted, from 1912 to 1924 hams had all the frequencies from "200 meter and down". That means everything from 1.5 MHz up with no upper frequency limit, since one belief was that those frequencies were of very limited use. In 1924 the core HF bands we know today (80, 40, and 20 meters) were established and spark transmissions were not allowed in these new bands. The 10 meter band was added and 160 meters redefined in 1927, the same year the FRC (Federal Radio Commission, what would become the FCC in 1934) was established. So by 1927 the "historic" ham HF (and MF) bands of 160, 80, 40, 20, and 10 meters existed.

In June of 1941 hams lost 80 meters to the military, but gained voice privileges (temporarily) on 40 meters. On Dec 7, 1941 hams went quiet on all bands for the duration of the war. From August 1945 on bands slowly opened up to ham use again, first from 10 meters and up, but by mid 1946 most of the HF bands came back. Hams lose the 5 and 2.5 meter bands, and gain 6 and 2 meters.

160 meters is no longer a ham band, LORAN owns it.

11 meters went ISM in 1947, the same year hams got access to it. So 11 was on a shared basis, as are several other bands.

In 1947 they lost 300 kHz of 10 meters, as you pointed out, and they also lost 50 kHz of 20 meters. But they gained 270 kHz in 11 meters and they also (eventually) gained the 15 meter band (450 kHz), which was not a ham band before that, although 15 meters could not be used until 1952. Swapping 11 meters for the top end of 10 was a wash, the bands worked about the same. But 15 meters was a new game. So the net was a gain, and in a piece of spectrum they had not had access to before.

In 1955 the 160 band started to be returned to hams, slowly, with restrictions, and only in some geographic areas. It would not be until the late 1960's (1968? not sure of the year but I remember it being a big deal then) that 160 really came back.

September of 1958 was when 11 meters shifted from ham to CB, so hams had 11 meters the second time around for about 11 years.

11 meters being a ham band predates my radio hobby days by a few years, but my Elmers mostly had used it. And several of my early 2nd hand ham radios included an 11 meter band. What those guys all told me is it never was used very much. Apparently relatively few hams bothered with it unless they already had rigs that could easily get on the band. It was really no better or worse than 10 meters, so not worth the effort of building new home brew rigs for it or modifying existing rigs if it took much effort. And by the time commercially available rigs started showing up in numbers the band went away.

Side note (as if there are not enough here), note the harmonic relationship of the original (from 1927 on) ham bands, 160, 80, 40, 20, 10, 5, and 2.5 meters. Made for easier construction.

T!
Post automatically merged:

It is mounted more towards the tailgate it changes the ground plane. It has more to do with transmitting, your lobe will be more toward the front than to the back as they are omni directional antenna's
It is reciprocal, meaning it (the pattern and lobe) works the same for transmit and receive.

And it also assumes a flat plane. What I mean is that putting it back on the passengers side bed rail would indeed increase the lobe forward and to drivers side, however it is quite possible the cab of the truck is negatively impacting that pattern also. Getting the base of the antenna more up to the roof line would probably correct that a bit.

T!

Last edited:

spinner55

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hams had 'everything' under 200 meters for many years. The experts thought that anything under 200 meters was 'worthless'. Till hams and other proved it wasn't. Then they lost the band and given 160 / 80 / 40 / 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 meter bands. So that harmonics caused by poorly designed equipment wouldn't bother anyone else. LORAN made 160 pretty worthless for many years. Large segments of the band where off limits or also had power restrictions. Growing up - a local ham had a 160 meter mobile. The largest loading coil I've ever seen with a 9 ft CB whip on top of it. (looked like a small trash can) But he was a home brew guy. Built home brew radios and antennas. Most of the 'old' hams are long gone now. Now I am one of the 'old hams' and a ex-CBer even. Take care. Spin

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Born2fish