Announcement Changes to the Marketplace, Advertising, Vendor Rules

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hello everyone, after some discussions, the admin staff has decided on the following with regards to the marketplace, advertising, and vendor rules. Read this fully as some really big changes are described towards the end.

Advertising

RDForum.org will now start selling slots for ads to those who are interested in advertising on RDF. Ads by default will not be shown to intermediate and higher members although manufactures may purchase at an extra cost ads that will be displayed up to intermediate users, but not higher. The price for this intermediate upgrade will be high to discourage purchase of such ads (I mean, intermediate and advanced members are one group I expect ads to be highly ineffective on so we're helping you out here by saving your money on marketing). Ads will never be displayed for premium users (hopefully... let me know if it does).

Keyword ads can be purchased here: https://www.rdforum.org/ads-manager/
Once purchased, the keyword you designate will become a link. So if you want all references for PY004 go to py004sucks[.]org, then this will allow that. Note we will be approving these manually so don't do something stupid. ie) Don't purchase v1 keyword link that links to one of their competitors or something, nor should you purchase keyword links that link members to something offense. Use your common sense. Rejected keyword ads will be refunded.

Banner ads can be purchased by contacting me via pm, e-mail, or text. We can discuss site metrics, pricing, etc.

Vendor Rules

In order to facilitate the changes below, rules were modified. At least those pertaining to vendors. Please review them below. The rule change was enacted on October 24th of 2020. Minor wording was changed just now.

To clarify, RDF is NOT a marketing platform for manufactures. This is a place for users to share information about countermeasures and other related fields. We want you to participate on here with our users, helping resolve issues and explaining more about your product. But using RDF solely to promote and sell your product will be disallowed except as for sales listing in the marketplace.

Marketplace

First off, every listing will now have a "Trader history for {username}" button. This will allow you to give feedback on users as well as to see feedbacks given by others. This is a reputation system so to speak. Beginners and above should be able to utilize this feature.

1604917102366.png

Secondly, as per the rules I linked above, manufactures can no longer post new listings in the marketplace for vendors. This was a change that was enacted 3 weeks ago for all manufacturers, but getting everything in place took until now. If manufactures wish to sell an item on RDF, they will have purchase for each account they wish to utilize to make listings with Premium Plus for Vendors located here: https://www.rdforum.org/account/upgrades

Regular users are warned not to be an idiot and purchase this as it will do nothing for you and all you will end up doing is providing a monetary donation to RDF.

Purchasing Premium Plus for Vendors will allow you to make unlimited amount of listings in the marketplace so long as the subscription is active. When your subscription expires, all listing you have made will be removed unless you renew.

Q: What about manufacturers selling their personal stuff out of business capacity? (this was as staff discussion reworded in question form)
Manufactures are always doing things in a business capacity on RDF and as such, you will need to have Premium Plus for Vendors. It's one thing to to convince me that the LIDAR gun that you purchased with your business funds to make your product better and is now trying to sell it to RDF members is a personal sale... But it's a whole different situation to get me to agree to allowing personal sales be exempt from this and then overload our staff members with trying to categorize each item a manufacture puts up into business and personal and deal with the disagreements that follow.

Q: No one will pay that. We will not get good things for sale in the classifieds anymore.
Few vendors even bothered to list anything there and I agree it may very well not be worth it. But as mentioned, RDF is NOT manufacture's marketing platform. You want to make money off our members, then you better contribute to this community.

Q: Now manufacturers won't provide member discounts anymore!
All reputable manufacturers had stopped providing member discounts ages ago. There's really only one well known manufacture that provides member discounts and that's for what in my opinion is a very dubious product and it's from a manufacturer that in my opinion is iffy and have in the past tried to screw over members of this community so I don't think you guys are missing much.

Q: Any other restrictions?
All of our rules are in effect because some dumbass(es) did something stupid and forced us to create a rule for it. So don't ruin it for everybody. Use common sense. At our discretion we will introduce additional restrictions to prevent abuse as they happen.

Q: I have a question too!
Contact me and I will add it to this list like I have the others.

And so what are we doing with all this money?

Reimbursing the admin who have sunk his personal funds into this site. It's quite a bit so it will probably take a while before he's fully reimbursed. But when that happens, the rest will be utilized for RDF functions whether it be licensing costs for additional features, or RDF events.

You may ask the Observer if you wish to see where this money is going (yes he can see everyone who purchased Premium Plus). But trust me, we wont be making much from this. We don't even have enough Premium Plus users signed up to pay for half of our monthly expenses and I highly doubt anyone would pick up ads anyways.

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Aditional changes:. We're in the middle of deploying a new system for classifieds. Expect permission errors for the next few days.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3