34.7 falses on the NY Thruway - safe to lock them out?

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When taking certain exits on I-90 in NY in the last couple of months (as well as driving by exit 34 even if I'm not exiting), I get a strong Ka band signal on my R3, always very close to 34.7. Could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the new cashless tolling system that was recently installed across the Thruway. I'd like to lock them out, but NYSP pretty much exclusively uses 34.7. If I lock out these falses, and a second 34.7 signal gets detected in the area due to a real LEO running radar, will my R3 mute both of them, or will it unmute since it's picking up two signals despite being at the same frequency?

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally I would NOT lock them out whatsoever. I have not had 34.7 falses. Is there a Troop barracks near that exit? I know on the I-87 near exit 19 there is one.

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Personally I would NOT lock them out whatsoever. I have not had 34.7 falses. Is there a Troop barracks near that exit? I know on the I-87 near exit 19 there is one.
Nope, here are no barracks nearby. I pick up the signal every time I pass by exit 34 in Canastota with 100% consistency, as well as entering or exiting the highway there. I haven't driven by a single time in the last 3 or so months where I wasn't alerted. When I exit or enter via exit 34A to I-481 in Syracuse or exit 31 in Utica I also pick up 34.7. I've taken these exits dozens of times and never definitively found the source, however when it started happening it did seem to line up with the installation of the new toll gantries. What is definite is that these signals are there every time I drive by those specific exits, regardless of the day or time.
Post automatically merged:

Pulled a few instances off of my dashcam from when I was entering I-90 at 34A.

This was on November 3:
This was just yesterday:

Notice how the signal gets picked up when I'm at the same point on the road. That isn't a coincidence, it been happening every time I go through for months. Unfortunately I don't have the footage saved from the previous instances. I agree that a 34.7 false is very out of the norm, but the only possible explanation I can think of for the signal's consistency is that there's a fixed source somewhere.

For good measure, here's a clip from last night where I was exiting I-90 at the same exit:

Again, older footage of that scenario has been overwritten, but I pick up the signal at the same spot on the road every time.

Last edited:

markxyz

PSL + whatever
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Many times I encounter NYSP patrol vehicles parked at these exits. I'd leave them.

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Many times I encounter NYSP patrol vehicles parked at these exits. I'd leave them.
Very strange that they'd be parked and running radar 24/7 for months on end though. If my detector had arrows I'd try to pinpoint where the hell it was coming from but I think I'm out of luck for now.

Even if I do leave them, I've tuned them out in my head. I know the instant when my RD is about to go off, and I completely ignore it- it's just noise to me at this point. What I'm most worried about is that this signal, which I've come to expect, might mask a second 34.7 signal that I would really want to know about.

Fixxxer0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I drive past I-87 exit 19 a few times a week.

The troopers are continuously parked there with radar on all the time since their barracks are there .

Do not lock it out. If there's a second signal It should beep with the bogey alert.

Additionally they patrol route 28 and 209 heavily which both cross the interstate nearby.

I'm sure similar happens all over the highway. if you lock it out and you are on the side road or happen to catch one getting on the highway , youre toast

CTMan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You really to be careful with locking out Ka. I have a police station right around the corner and they like to play games like this all the time. Leave one of their cars, that is parked away from the road, with either Ka or K on(they use both here). Then when you become complacent enough about it, they station a car by the road and DO check your speed as you come down a hill.

It’s up to you whether you lock it out, but personally I would never lock a Ka signal out and just deal with it(since my town also uses K, I even hesitate to lock those out either).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I drive past I-87 exit 19 a few times a week.

The troopers are continuously parked there with radar on all the time since their barracks are there .

Do not lock it out. If there's a second signal It should beep with the bogey alert.

Additionally they patrol route 28 and 209 heavily which both cross the interstate nearby.

I'm sure similar happens all over the highway. if you lock it out and you are on the side road or happen to catch one getting on the highway , youre toast

Thanks for the insight. Hadn't considered the bogey alert, I've only heard it a small handful of times but that feature should solve my worries if and when there is a second signal.

Somewhat related- there are trooper barracks right off of Junius Ponds rest area near Waterloo, NY, as well as the Dewitt Travel Plaza in the middle of Syracuse. I have them manually marked, but the majority of the time these aren't sources of radar, at least not C/O like these exits.

Too bad I don't have a detector with arrows, or I would try to pinpoint where the hell these signals are coming from out of curiosity.

rider9195

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would not lock them out. Exit 17 going north on 87, you can take the exit directly to rt17k which has it's own lane etc. I always get a full blast 34.7 when driving through it everytime.

Google maps gives an idea of location, so this 34.7 alert could be picked up and may be very weak since it is way off axis.

20201108_231601.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would not lock them out. Exit 17 going north on 87, you can take the exit directly to rt17k which has it's own lane etc. I always get a full blast 34.7 when driving through it everytime.

Yeah, I won't be locking it out. I was searching the forum for any instances of 34.7 falses elsewhere and found this post:

^^^ unless I have 150% proof that a 34.7 alert came from a false source, and I can name that false source, point to that false source, and cuss that false source, there is NO such thing as a 34.7 false until proven otherwise.

I can't point to a false source with any certainty, so I'll definitely leave it and assume there's a cop every time I drive through those areas. Really do wish I could pinpoint the source though, just to satisfy my curiosity- that signal is more consistent than K band in a Walmart parking lot haha.

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have seen a repeating 34.7 alert at the EZ Pass toll booth, exit 4B of the Garden State Parkway. Don't know what is is or why. There is also the possibility of stationary Ka speed signs.....Route 18 in New Brunswick, NJ, there is a 34.7 speed sign to control traffic on the Rutgers Campus that transmits onto Route 18. A 34.7 alert there is guaranteed.

I wouldn't lock it any 34.7 out.

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
These things drove me crazy for over a year. Finally found out that they're traffic counting devices (at many exits and even some service areas) which use Stalker 34.7 antennas. Do not lock them out or you will eventually regret it.

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
These things drove me crazy for over a year. Finally found out that they're traffic counting devices (at many exits and even some service areas) which use Stalker 34.7 antennas. Do not lock them out or you will eventually regret it.
Wow, that makes a lot more sense than troopers hiding 24/7. Definitely annoying that they use 34.7 but it's nice to know what the signal is caused by, thanks for the info.

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Agree, I dont trust the nysp tactics!

dstxl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Agree, I dont trust the nysp tactics!
Wonder if they use Stalker antennas just to bust our balls lol. Never heard of 34.7 traffic sensors anywhere else.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would NOT lock them out. These seem too consistent for NYSP parked at the toll plaza. My guess is actually picking up the "wrong way" radar signal, that activates the new electronic "Wrong way" signs. They have had problems with drivers going the wrong direction on the ramps, since it is uncontrolled coming out of the Thruway toll plazas. The signs should be visible (behind) you and light up/flash only if you are going the wrong direction. They are typically right at the "split" at the toll plaza. You may also be picking them up from the other direction too.

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow, that makes a lot more sense than troopers hiding 24/7. Definitely annoying that they use 34.7 but it's nice to know what the signal is caused by, thanks for the info.
Same thing at the exit for Rt 23 heading up to Windham. While I'm anti-lockout, and I'm definitely a lead foot, I would lock it out if you aren't driving like a madman. I suppose it also depends on your vehicle. Good luck.

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Had a NYSP parked in the median running C/O 34.718 just south of the New Baltimore service area last year which, coincidentally, had a traffic counting unit on the overpass to service area running the exact same frequency 34.718. It made me go into tin foil hat mode.

Same thing at the exit for Rt 23 heading up to Windham. While I'm anti-lockout, and I'm definitely a lead foot, I would lock it out if you aren't driving like a madman. I suppose it also depends on your vehicle. Good luck.
The counting unit at Catskill is on a pole facing the southbound exiting traffic and on the east side of the overpass.

Last edited:

Oliver

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When taking certain exits on I-90 in NY in the last couple of months (as well as driving by exit 34 even if I'm not exiting), I get a strong Ka band signal on my R3, always very close to 34.7. Could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the new cashless tolling system that was recently installed across the Thruway. I'd like to lock them out, but NYSP pretty much exclusively uses 34.7. If I lock out these falses, and a second 34.7 signal gets detected in the area due to a real LEO running radar, will my R3 mute both of them, or will it unmute since it's picking up two signals despite being at the same frequency?
I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm on the Thruway (I'm in Baldwinsville)!

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Had a NYSP parked in the median running C/O 34.718 just south of the New Baltimore service area last year which, coincidentally, had a traffic counting unit on the overpass to service area running the exact same frequency 34.718. It made me go into tin foil hat mode.

The counting unit at Catskill is on a pole facing the southbound exiting traffic and on the east side of the overpass.
Head on a swivel every time I'm near the "false" 34.7's on the thruway...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itzik