Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Agree - looks like S350

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you can nab a photo, perhaps someone here can identify it.

That is worrying, either of you have a V1 for testing if its laser? Or perhaps get Zak to make a pass by at some stage.
@Aucklandradar have you noticed anything in Auckland?

@Mithheru P.S happy to send up my V1gen 1 to you if you think it may be helpful for testing laser.
Good idea @dudeinnz, exactly what I was thinking... Get a V1 for laser detection!! Quite ironic I actually had to reprogram a friends Gen1 V1 today with laser off as it was driving him nuts!!!! Falses to just about all DRL's, he's super excited to be running Ka only now

philnz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
could it be a rego /wof check vans that sometimes sit at onehunga.
normally a cop further up to pull over the ones that are flagged

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@winterbrew, do ALP have any effect on S350?
Been covered by ALP for a while;

AL said:
Details of the 4.3.9 update (8/15/14)

1. Traffistar S350 Laser scanner support added.
2. Various LIDARs code improved.
3. Some error signalization bugs fixed.
4. Updating process improved for Control Set.
5. USB functioning further improved.

I asked Tom about the S350 when it arrived here, and he checked with AL who said there were 'no known issues'

Algo is very similar to poliscan, and ALP alerts to S350 as 'poliscan', although we've never find out if it jams S350 with the same poliscan algo.

You should be getting the new fixed/revised algo which is much more detectable than the very low output power first introduced here and in QLD. The S350 was withdrawn from service in WA for nearly 18 months for inaccuracy while Jenoptik re-wrote the firmware

Dragnboi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok, just went passed this van a couple of minutes ago on Whakatiki St in Upper Hutt. Got 24.032 on K band. Will take a video on my phone when I go pass again shortly.
Post automatically merged:

Ok, just went passed this van a couple of minutes ago on Whakatiki St in Upper Hutt. Got 24.032 on K band. Will take a video on my phone when I go pass again shortly.
On the way back got 24.30 on K band facing van. Other reading of 24.032 was coming from behind the van.

Last edited:

ARW

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Here is one I tried to detect last week (Post #129)

Maybe someone can identify the camera

Attachments

• IMG_0417_Moment (5).jpg
    IMG_0417_Moment (5).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 23

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Here is one I tried to detect last week (Post #129)

Maybe someone can identify the camera
It looks similarly position to the one i posted above, maybe time for an OIA to find out what's in use :D

Dragnboi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It looks similarly position to the one i posted above, maybe time for an OIA to find out what's in use :D
Well I can confirm LAY857 is still using Reflex as per my video from today. If your out by Upper Hutt then he may still be there on Whakatiki St lol

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Possibly the flash unit on that bracket ?

.a30fd781-7167-408b-99f1-841c92e2a7b3.original1024.jpg

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If that's a Redflex (slant radar Speed Camera), I see a fault in the setup that could be deemed illegal. It's too close to a bend in the road.

Based on the location of the vehicle containing the Speed Camera, the AGD340 RADAR beam is not crossing the road at the correct 22 degrees at the point where vehicles enter the beam. If the beam angle is effectively less than 22 degrees, speed readings will be higher than "true speed". If I received a ticket from the Speed Camera at that location, I would challenge it in court. Thank God for dashcams!

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well I can confirm LAY857 is still using Reflex as per my video from today. If your out by Upper Hutt then he may still be there on Whakatiki St lol
opps I think you uploaded the wrong video, the link shows Jan 25 2021 and is a white van
dragonboi21.PNG

Dragnboi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I still maintain that if it's not an "approved vehicle surveilance device" it's either not issuing tickets, or if it is, they will be invalid. We haven't quite become a Police state where they make their own rules. They did get sprung recently for using unapproved surveilance equipment.

Reactions: DAF

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last approved device was the redflex NK7 as shown here- Redflex approval
My searches for anything new or under testing are not revealing anything. As Lou said, if its not approved for use, I doubt they would be able to issue a ticket. Also, I am unsure if under NZ law they need to gazette anything they are testing.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last approved device was the redflex NK7 as shown here- Redflex approval
My searches for anything new or under testing are not revealing anything. As Lou said, if its not approved for use, I doubt they would be able to issue a ticket. Also, I am unsure if under NZ law they need to gazette anything they are testing.
Which may explain why LAYxxx was then showing redlfelx again, they may be just testing and will then request approval - which then makes it harder - it’s almost like they are doing an I/O in the vans , then swapping back

Or....running a dummy to throw people ?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Which may explain why LAYxxx was then showing redlfelx again, they may be just testing and will then request approval - which then makes it harder - it’s almost like they are doing an I/O in the vans , then swapping back

Or....running a dummy to throw people ?
It's most likely/hopefully testing. I am sure you just can't plonk a speed surveillance device and start testing it without some red-tape. Must be a record of that red-tape somewhere.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
New Dodgy white Hyundai van sited on Pukekohe East Road - 1.5 km from Bombay Hills, coming from Pukekohe. I got no threat warning with K1 and K2 ON - went down a ways, did a u turn and came back and slowed right down behind it, no warning. Dash cam video to be uploaded soon

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49