Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The van was on the curve not parallel

Text from AGD340 Manual (Redflex Speed-Camera Radar Section)

Radar Mounting Angle
Radars are supplied factory programmed to be used for a specific mounting angle, usually to 22 degrees. This angle is the angle the radar points across the road from the direction of the road, see diagram below. The angle a radar is setup for is printed on the top side of the radar. The angle is also reported in valid detect messages and the command *AD may be used to determine it. This angle is used by the radar to adjust the speed the radar measures to the actual target speed and therefore it is important the radar is setup with the correct angle. If the radar is setup with an angle that is less than the mounting angle then the radar will measure speeds that are larger than the vehicles true speed, while if the angle is greater than the mounting angle the radar will measure speeds that are less than the vehicles true speed.

Note the last sentence describing: "angle is less or more than which is printed on the top side of the radar" producing inaccurate readings.

KiwiRad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Came across a White VW van 400M past the Ramarama off-ramp - northbound. Was in the "fast lane" and was unable to grab the rego...but no trigger at all

Reactions: DAF

NinjaboyNZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have an R7 and DFR9, We have a dark colored VW van that parks up in our street. I cannot detect it. Tried driving past multiple times over an hour and nothing. Will get more details of the van next time.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is getting strange, interesting and very worrying.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was wondering, If there is a new type of vehicle surveillance equipment in use, can a fine be issued when its not an officially approved?

Looking at the Land Transport Act states an "approved vehicle surveillance equipment means vehicle surveillance equipment of a kind approved by the Minister or the Minister of Police, by notice in the Gazette"

There is currently (22/02/2021) no notice if a new approved vehicle surveillance equipment.

the act talks about
moving vehicle offence means an offence detected by approved vehicle surveillance equipment that is—
(a)
a speeding offence; or

Evidence of approved vehicle surveillance equipment
(1)
In proceedings for a moving vehicle offence or a special vehicle lane offence, an image produced by means of an exposure taken by approved vehicle surveillance equipment and showing or recording a motor vehicle on a road, the speed of the vehicle, the location of the vehicle, the colour or form of a traffic control device, the fact that a toll has not been paid in respect of the vehicle, and the date and time when the image was taken, or showing or recording any of those things, is, in the absence of proof to the contrary, sufficient evidence of that fact or event.

208A Agency is enforcement officer for certain infringement offences
For the purposes of issuing an infringement notice under section 139, the Agency is an enforcement officer where—
(a)
the infringement offence to which the notice relates is a moving vehicle offence; and
(b)
the alleged offence was detected by approved vehicle surveillance equipment (whether the equipment is owned or operated by the Agency or some other person).

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell. NZ Police cannot just play with any device they like. To be used for enforcement it must be approved and notified.
Ninjaboy, are you sure it was a camera van? Did you see the camera inside?

KiwiRad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell. NZ Police cannot just play with any device they like. To be used for enforcement it must be approved and notified.
I certainly know the one I saw that didn't trigger had a camera/device in it

Now ehere's
Now here’s an interesting option - could they be dummy vans, just by having their presence out there. I cannot find any reference to any new technology available for the purpose

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do the NZ Police need to have a Radar / Laser device be "legislated" to test it for potential purchase and future use to enforce speed limits?

Logic says that the "van" contains an "area-scanning" Speed Camera such as a Vitronic PoliScan SPEED or a Jenoptik Traffistar S350. What else could it be?

ARW

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Mithheru will be interested in this....
Today I travelled from the Bay of Islands to Whangarei and came across a white VW Redflex van Rego KZZ505 parked on the side of the highway - not a sound from my DFR9 for NZ as I went passed. I turned around and tried again, still no detection so carried on. On my way back 90 minutes later the van was in the same place - no detection again so I turned around and stopped behind the van, turned the detector off and on again - still no detection.... There was definitely a camera in the van and it was occupied. This is not the first time I have had no detection, yet I know that the detector is working as I have have had a previous Redflex van Ka warning and also, the detector gave a false alarm on 24.06 Ghz from a door opener in Whangarei while I was there.

1614055187043.jpeg

Last edited:

NinjaboyNZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes in an hour I drove past it 12 times, 6 in one direction and 6 in the other.

On one of the passes I slowed down to 20km and checked it out, was 100% a camera van. It was also parked in the same spot as a van they use as well that I can detect.

I was confused on the first few passes with my R7 that I hopped into my mrs car with the DFR9 and no detection either.

KiwiRad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes in an hour I drove past it 12 times, 6 in one direction and 6 in the other.

On one of the passes I slowed down to 20km and checked it out, was 100% a camera van. It was also parked in the same spot as a van they use as well that I can detect.

I was confused on the first few passes with my R7 that I hopped into my mrs car with the DFR9 and no detection either.
should have stopped and had a look through the windows :cool:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I certainly know the one I saw that didn't trigger had a camera/device in it

Now ehere's

Now here’s an interesting option - could they be dummy vans, just by having their presence out there. I cannot find any reference to any new technology available for the purpose
What I'm asking is whether you're sure it was a speed cam van? Did you see the Redflex inside?
There's lots of Hyundais and VW's around. The cops won't waste money on non revenue producing vans.
I remember one grey Hyundai in Nelson that was always parked near a regular speed cam spot, it fooled me several times until they went to a VW.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnanian