Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
White VW van JRD80 Bulls today 11.45am
24.095 R3 managed to make some noise for a change.
Was parked outside Turakina school in 70k zone again
at 2.45pm. Was in front of school bus could not see until
right on it. Great place to park he should spend more time there.

Opps forgot to put detection distance. 164.7 m
Was the 164.7 m detection distance with the RADAR slant-beam coming towards you (22 degrees across the road)? Or was it projected away from you?

Interesting frequency ... 24.095 GHz.

AGD Systems (UK) who make the RADAR used by Redflex (Victoria, Australia) list these frequency limits:

Specifications
UK: 24.05 GHz - 24.15 GHz.
EU: 24.00 GHz - 24.25 GHz

OPTIONS
Frequency option can be preset
to suit local requirements
between 24.000GHz and
24.250GHz

Why "in the twenty-three nines" for little old New Zealand?

Dragnboi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Was the 164.7 m detection distance with the RADAR slant-beam coming towards you (22 degrees across the road)? Or was it projected away from you?

Interesting frequency ... 24.095 GHz.

AGD Systems (UK) who make the RADAR used by Redflex (Victoria, Australia) list these frequency limits:

Specifications
UK: 24.05 GHz - 24.15 GHz.
EU: 24.00 GHz - 24.25 GHz

OPTIONS
Frequency option can be preset
to suit local requirements
between 24.000GHz and
24.250GHz

Why "in the twenty-three nines" for little old New Zealand?
I think this was the same van (sorry forgot to pay attention to the rego) I came across in my video but my R7 was showing 24.099 out from bulls. Uniden R7 vs Mobile Red Flex 14sec @ 80kph equals about 311 metres (as per google).

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Bus was parked not letting off kids.
I was wondering generally. It would be a revenue goldmine seeing that even cops and driving instructors don't seem to slow down.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hiya,
I’ve driven past the Dark Blue/Green VW Van LAY857 3 times without alerts on my R7 last week, I have removed any k band limits but still don’t detect it
I’m not sure if I’ve just caught them setting up or shutting down or if there is a problem with my R7
Had anyone else experience this or know if redflex is being replaced ?

cheers

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hiya,
I’ve driven past the Dark Blue/Green VW Van LAY857 3 times without alerts on my R7 last week, I have removed any k band limits but still don’t detect it
I’m not sure if I’ve just caught them setting up or shutting down or if there is a problem with my R7

cheers
That is worrying. Do you still get other K alerts ?

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hiya,

cheers
Three (3) times is too many for the Speed Camera to be in "setting up" or "closing down" mode?

If it's a Scanning-Laser (Vitronic PoliScan or Jenoptik TraffiStar S350) Speed Camera being TESTED you might not get a Laser alert on your Uniden R7.

Alternately, it might be a Jenoptik S290M (MRCD) Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) RADAR Speed Camera being TESTED. If you have MRCD turned OFF on the U-R7 there would not be any alert.

Reactions: DAF

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That is worrying. Do you still get other K alerts ?
Yes I opened the range to full and it hits in everything
Post automatically merged:

Three (3) times is too many for the Speed Camera to be in "setting up" or "closing down" mode?

If it's a Scanning-Laser (Vitronic PoliScan or Jenoptik TraffiStar S350) Speed Camera being TESTED you might not get a Laser alert on your Uniden R7.

Alternately, it might be a Jenoptik S290M (MRCD) Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) RADAR Speed Camera being TESTED. If you have MRCD turned OFF on the U-R7 there would not be any alert.
I'll turn on MRCD and see if that makes a difference

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

We have none of those in NZ

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Uniden R7, I turned MRCD on and found the Blue Van LAY857 again
no filtering | MRCD on | K band full range,
the setup in the back of the van has changed with the unit on the hard right you can see in the closing parts of the video

any idea what they might be running?

LAY857.PNG

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hard to say, not a very clear picture. If you don't see anyone inside, try get a few closer pics ;)

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Maybe it’s time for another OIR

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Probably a false alert but got a MRCD hit this morning in Upper Hutt

MRCD.jpeg

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
Uniden R7, I turned MRCD on and found the Blue Van LAY857 again
no filtering | MRCD on | K band full range,
the setup in the back of the van has changed with the unit on the hard right you can see in the closing parts of the video

any idea what they might be running?

View attachment 172690
The video possibly reveals that the Speed-Camera vehicle is not likely to contain a RADAR based system.

All microwave-beam Speed-Cameras use the "slant" principle. The circuitry of the device accounts for the cosine error when the centre-line of the beam is not parallel to the road. The usual "slant" angle is 22 degrees: Redflex uses this angle. The Volkswagen van does not appear to be absolutely parallel to the road, although the dash-cam perspective may cause an optical illusion.

If that Speed-Camera vehicle is NOT parallel to the road, it must be suspected of containing an "area scanning Laser". These devices (PoliScan & Jenoptik) are not affected by the cosine factor. This permits the vehicle that contains the Laser device to be at an angle to the traffic. It shortens the speed-reading range but also Laser detection by dash/screen mount Radar/Laser Detectors.

It would be useful if a Radar/Laser Detector (powered by a battery pack) could be brought close to the rear window of the suspect vehicle to observe if it triggers a Laser alert.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not officially. The VW Van may contain a Laser-based Speed Camera system that's being tested.
I seriously doubt that. Testing is usually done in conjunction with ESR. and, with our weather, I'm thinking Waikato fogs, a laser based system would be unusable at times.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DAF That is the same van we have tested here before on the DFR9forNZ and R7 Int v128:

Therefore, looks like there is an issue. When you set segments full wide, I'm assuming you set K Lim 1 = K Lim 2. Just make sure the limits are not upside down as that way, it is only set to alert outside the limits, not between them.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@DAF That is the same van we have tested here before on the DFR9forNZ and R7 Int v128:

Therefore, looks like there is an issue. When you set segments full wide, I'm assuming you set K Lim 1 = K Lim 2. Just make sure the limits are not upside down as that way, it is only set to alert outside the limits, not between them.
I have tested this van before ( Videos are in the other threads) I have looked in the rear window and the kit appears different to the reflex i have seen before. i'll grabs pics next

I have checked and reset the segments and they are alerting to everything from 23. up to 24.2+
this van appears to have changed its kit, I checked the Land Transport (Approved Vehicle Surveillance Equipment) last night and there have been no recent amendments under the equipment and nothing in gazette about changes so I am surprised

I see this van a lot so will try my old detectors

my past vids for the blue van was detected easily

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The video possibly reveals that the Speed-Camera vehicle is not likely to contain a RADAR based system.

All microwave-beam Speed-Cameras use the "slant" principle. The circuitry of the device accounts for the cosine error when the centre-line of the beam is not parallel to the road. The usual "slant" angle is 22 degrees: Redflex uses this angle. The Volkswagen van does not appear to be absolutely parallel to the road, although the dash-cam perspective may cause an optical illusion.

If that Speed-Camera vehicle is NOT parallel to the road, it must be suspected of containing an "area scanning Laser". These devices (PoliScan & Jenoptik) are not affected by the cosine factor. This permits the vehicle that contains the Laser device to be at an angle to the traffic. It shortens the speed-reading range but also Laser detection by dash/screen mount Radar/Laser Detectors.

It would be useful if a Radar/Laser Detector (powered by a battery pack) could be brought close to the rear window of the suspect vehicle to observe if it triggers a Laser alert.

The van was on the curve not parallel

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tap053