Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

FocusedWest

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Redflex van @ K 24.060
Hillcrest, Auckland
White VW LRZ136

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_101257.jpg
    IMG_20210203_101257.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your posts and comments. All this data and info is really useful.

So I got part 2 of my OIA request back, they're still working on part 1. This is all really useful as we now for the first time get a comparative birds eye view from the camera, and the van in testing from both sides at the same location, on the same day from the same van at the same time:

Post automatically merged:

Really, sorry, I'm not responding to questions and posts at this time. I'm working flat out on the next R7 version, and I forgot how time consuming writing all this new code and testing it turned out to be. My aim is to have it out for release by the end of the month! 🙂

Attachments

• CompleteOrdered.pdf
    14.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your posts and comments. All this data and info is really useful.

So I got part 2 of my OIA request back, they're still working on part 1. This is all really useful as we now for the first time get a comparative birds eye view from the camera, and the van in testing from both sides at the same location, on the same day from the same van at the same time:

Really, sorry, I'm not responding to questions and posts at this time. I'm working flat out on the next R7 version, and I forgot how time consuming writing all this new code and testing it turned out to be. My aim is to have it out for release by the end of the month! 🙂
Couple of questions come out of this - why do they record images of cars travelling under the limited - and why isn’t the speed limit 112😀

MrSxctym

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Mithheru newbie here, cant figure out how to PM you but you seem to be guy to get US R3 updated here in NZ. Was hoping you could help me out. I ran a dashcam in my car full time and I am happy to help the community out as well however I can

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Mithheru newbie here, cant figure out how to PM you but you seem to be guy to get US R3 updated here in NZ. Was hoping you could help me out. I ran a dashcam in my car full time and I am happy to help the community out as well however I can
I think you may have read the post that states @Mithheu is taking a break
suggest you read the preceding posts - the bloke is taking a break

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've made a big leap forward on the next R7 firmware, and now we're on the home straight. Still a couple of weeks away, but at least I know everything can be done, and all the hardest parts are behind me.

Thanks for the patience. I see I have a lot of messages to reply to!

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
White Hyundai GTM507 on Tuakau Road in Pukekohe
24.037 V1Gen2
Not as much warning this time only about 200-250m warning

Attachments

• 7E736123-F650-49B7-AD15-2904D41F9924.png
    7E736123-F650-49B7-AD15-2904D41F9924.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 5C6E2423-A645-4CD1-A715-7F81C285DD4D.jpeg
    5C6E2423-A645-4CD1-A715-7F81C285DD4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

MrSxctym

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think you may have read the post that states @Mithheu is taking a break

suggest you read the preceding posts - the bloke is taking a break
No I may have missed it but I'm happy to wait

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
White Hyundai GTM507 on Tuakau Road in Pukekohe
24.037 V1Gen2
Not as much warning this time only about 200-250m warning
Where's the VID to prove the initial V1 Gen2 audio alert was 200-250 metres from the back of the Redflex van? A still photo doesn't do it.

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

A couple of salient points about these Uniden Radar Detector Redflex-tests ... meaning no offence.

The high-side of the freeway "pass" demonstrates that Redflex NZ detection should give more than enough warning on the opposite side of the road in locations where vehicles in both directions are being photographed. GOOD!

The low-side of the freeway "pass" does not demonstrate effective detection "range" when approaching the Redflex RADAR beam from the rear. Is the VID meant to imply that the detection distance "is" GOOD or even adequate?

I was hoping to see a vertical-mount of the Uniden Radar Detectors with both making a "pass" on the danger-side (low) of the freeway.

Does anybody agree that some of the results in the VID (composite movies) exhibit "wishful thinking"?

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
Where's the VID to prove the initial V1 Gen2 audio alert was 200-250 metres from the back of the Redflex van? A still photo doesn't do it.

Calm down bud. It says about.. it’s a estimate. I don’t run a dash cam yet and I don’t use my phone when driving. But I do know distance eg a rugby field is 1 hundred metres it was ABOUT 2 rugby fields maybe a bit more direct line off sight

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Calm down bud. It says about.. it’s a estimate. I don’t run a dash cam yet and I don’t use my phone when driving. But I do know distance eg a rugby field is 1 hundred metres it was ABOUT 2 rugby fields maybe a bit more direct line off sight
Was the Valentine mounted in the conventional way or vertically (on its side)? If it was the "flat" mount with the Redflex radar beam being projected away from the direction of travel: 200 to 250 metres is an amazing detection distance.

What was the detection distance from the opposite side of the road, with the Redflex coming towards the V1 in your vehicle?

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
Was the Valentine mounted in the conventional way or vertically (on its side)? If it was the "flat" mount with the Redflex radar beam being projected away from the direction of travel: 200 to 250 metres is an amazing detection distance.

What was the detection distance from the opposite side of the road, with the Redflex coming towards the V1 in your vehicle?

I always mount vertically now as it’s better detection against redflex.
So driving towards van I pulled in behind took photos then drove off. I didn’t turn around and go other way as had other things on.
I’ve also got R7 mounted vertically in my work vehicle haven’t come across any Redflex vans yet as only had for couple weeks. But will update when I do

Last edited:

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

I've had an easy 200-250m reflex detection approaching towards the rear of the van, with the van on my side of the road using my R7. This van regularly parks up about 500 m from my work, and I've faced it probably about 5 times. It parks on the same place every time, and I know where I get my first detection (just after exiting a bend on the road) measuring out that distance on Google maps app and its at least 200m (will do properly on my pc later out of curiosity). Now I realise this won't be good enough for you, so I guess this is a waste of a post lol. So think what you like, but I've yet to have a reflex ticket thanks to Mr chirpy.

Radario

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've had an easy 200-250m reflex detection approaching towards the rear of the van, with the van on my side of the road using my R7. This van regularly parks up about 500 m from my work, and I've faced it probably about 5 times. It parks on the same place every time, and I know where I get my first detection (just after exiting a bend on the road) measuring out that distance on Google maps app and its at least 200m (will do properly on my pc later out of curiosity). Now I realise this won't be good enough for you, so I guess this is a waste of a post lol. So think what you like, but I've yet to have a reflex ticket thanks to Mr chirpy.
Not a matter of disbelief so much as "I love those Vids that defeat the Speed Cameras.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
With all due respect, it's difficult to estimate distance for anyone. Just look at the number of intersection accidents.
Google maps helps if you have clear reference points, but I use either the alert distance display/log or the range mark in JBV1.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, remember 200m is the length of 2 rugby fields and at 100kph + it's tricky to estimate this correctly.

nzeasyrider

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
White VW van JRD80 Bulls today 11.45am
24.095 R3 managed to make some noise for a change.
Was parked outside Turakina school in 70k zone again
at 2.45pm. Was in front of school bus could not see until
right on it. Great place to park he should spend more time there.

Opps forgot to put detection distance. 164.7 m

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wonder if he was pinging drivers for exceeding 20 km/h when a bus was stopped there?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cajuncwby30