Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just curious, do those vans scan both sides of the highway? When you were coming at the van, it really didnt go off until you were almost past. Just like it did when you were coming up behind it
No they don’t scan from both sides of the van. The camera is normally in the rear of the Van and can ticket vehicles travelling in both directions.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No they don’t scan from both sides of the van. The camera is normally in the rear of the Van and can ticket vehicles travelling in both directions.
So why was the signal strength about the Same from the back and the front

Radario

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Perhaps NZ is going to replace the Redflex RADAR Speed Cameras with Vitronic Poliscan LIDAR Speed Cameras?

Poliscan works in both directions. Can be detected with frontal shots. However, rear shots require jamming to defeat the Poliscan... and NZ bans Laser Jammers. Hmmm?

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If the cameras aren't manned, who would know if you had jammers

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Perhaps NZ is going to replace the Redflex RADAR Speed Cameras with Vitronic Poliscan LIDAR Speed Cameras?

Yes, Jenoptik MRCD / MRCT based cams would be another option they could consider, or the Jenoptik S350M laser cam.

MRCT seems to be the easier of the two Jenoptik radar systems to detect at range.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah interesting times ahead. So Blulink finally may have fixed the R3 to detect the vans, the same year they may well get decommissioned!

FlyingKiwi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi people, I've just signed up to the forum and am all new to the RD scene, so please be gentle ;-)

I've been reading the threads and am interested in your DFR9forNZ, Mithheru... With some of the speculation in the last few posts regarding the possible move away from the Redflex for mobile cameras, does that particular RD have those other possible scenarios covered? Thanks
Yeah interesting times ahead. So Blulink finally may have fixed the R3 to detect the vans, the same year they may well get decommissioned!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just curious, do those vans scan both sides of the highway? When you were coming at the van, it really didnt go off until you were almost past. Just like it did when you were coming up behind it
If you mean both lanes, most of our highways are only 2 lanes, so yes. Redflex can target both directions. The pole mounts can target vehicles in multiple lanes and both directions. But they are mounted high up, I'm not sure a van unit can scan across multiple lanes beling only 1 - 1.5 metres above road level.. Median barriers and other traffic would make ID'ing the target vehicle impossible.

PS. I'd be surprised if they go away from Redflex. They tend to stay with proven suppliers. Look at Stalker, it's been in use since they went to Ka.

Last edited:

Radario

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The most important question about Redflex replacement: Why would NZ be decommissioning the current Redflex RADAR Speed Cameras? They appear to be effective revenue-raisers. Guesstimates:

-- Radar Detectors (some) can now detect the Redflex low-power K-band Speed Cameras. An undetectable system is now desirable.

-- Reliability issues?

-- ???

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I still believe that good old eyeballs are as effective as anything while they use a limited style and colour of van. I ran with K off for many years and had only 1 or 2 tickets.
And cameras are purely for revenue here. If they weren't, they'd have demerits attached.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For some reason they've resisted. I'm stumped if I know why, they usually do everything OZ does.

FlyingKiwi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
For some reason they've resisted. I'm stumped if I know why, they usually do everything OZ does.
Coppers have been known to get tickets too, right... The main disincentive for me at the moment is having to advise the insurance company.

philnz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Dragnboi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well just did a return trip Wellington to Auckland. Thank you Mithheru for the R7 International firmware, it's so quite on K and Ka was definitely noticeably even better than my R3. Got plenty of hits on Ka as I think the Leo's were trying to get their quota's for the month but only came across 1 mobile Red flex camera @ 24.099. Sorry I forgot to read the rego of the white VW van. I was so impressed with the detection I got though. Location was just north of Bulls on State Highway 1.
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Uniden R7 vs Mobile Red Flex

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Blue VW like the one above, Rotorua, running 24.008

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics