Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Or, if you're a Jaffa, the border of civilisation.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Another siting this week, White Hyundai I-load van @ 24.020 on SH1 in Wellsford.

Overall I saw a ridiculous amount of speed enforcement on my Rotorua-Paihia trip this week (conference in Waitangi), last leg back from Auckland to Rotorua later today, and I'm sure there will be more to see. It seems they're rely ramping up their activity for summer..

Anyone seen this van?

Yup, see above, 24.020 is what I clocked it as, right as you come in to Wellsford, was a a bit of surprise - thanks R7forNZ @Mithheru , saved the day once more :)

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I almost got done on my recent road trip up to the hawksbay, forgot to change the k Freq range and had my R7 set for welly and didn't pick up the white speed van. Was saved my partner who was the navigator and a waze alert.

philnz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

philnz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Northland. Whangarei
Blue van sorry missed rego on cnr.

FocusedWest

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
White Vw sorry no rego

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
White Vw sorry no rego
This is a significant point to note people. Looks like people in Auckland area may need to expand K Lim2 to 24.06.
I rechecked the code on the implementation of the K Limits. So: Assuming you all have K Lim1< K Lim2: If the radar frequency is less than the K Lim 1 or greater then K Lim 2 there will be no alert.

Therefore 24.057 is > 24.050. So setting K Lim 2 as 24.05 will not detect this signal. I.e. K Lim 2 as 24.05 should set the highest detection at 24.050 and nothing higher. So you may need K Lim2 at 24.06 to get this van.

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is a significant point to note people. Looks like people in Auckland area may need to expand K Lim2 to 24.06.
I rechecked the code on the implementation of the K Limits. So: Assuming you all have K Lim1< K Lim2: If the radar frequency is less than the K Lim 1 or greater then K Lim 2 there will be no alert.

Therefore 24.057 is > 24.050. So setting K Lim 2 as 24.05 will not detect this signal. I.e. K Lim 2 as 24.05 should set the highest detection at 24.050 and nothing higher. So you may need K Lim2 at 24.06 to get this van.
Can u make 1st post a summary of all the reports with each area so if anyone traveling out of area know what freq to set r7 to?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can u make 1st post a summary of all the reports with each area so if anyone traveling out of area know what freq to set r7 to?
@dudeinnz I'm not sure if I have access to update the first post, as that would be the best place to keep the info updated:

Dody Vans:

To date, my list is quite short. So far from my list we have:

HTF443 Red Hyundai: - Wellington (K band ~24.02 - Detection confirmed on DFR9forNZ and R7)
LRZ139 Silver VW Van - Wellington (K Band 24.036 - Detection confirmed on DFR9forNZ and R7)
???? Blue Hyundai - Wellington (K Band ~24.02?? - Detection confirmed on DFR9forNZ and R7) - Still in use or now upgraded??
LAY857 Dark Blue/Green VW - Wellington (K Band 24.034) - Detection confirmed on R7 (Zakk and myself - testing video)

KZZ504. Blue VW Van Palmerston Nth (~24.10-24.11 Detection confirmed on DFR9forNZ)

LRZ135 White VW Van - Auckland (??? Unknown/undetectable??)
White Vw sorry no rego - Auckland (??? could be the one above - 24.057 on our R7 thanks to FocusedWest)

?? White Hyundai van - Auckland (23.996 - Detected on Redline ProA by 379 EXH)
LAV 859 Dark Blue/Green VW Van - Auckland (K Band 24.008-24.026 - Detection confirmed on R7 )
KZZ506 Grey VW ‘Transporter’ Van - Auckland (frequency unknown @FocusedWest)
LAY5???? Greenish VW Van - Auckland (24.047 on my R7 @FocusedWest).

?? Colour / Make ??? - Te Puna near Tauranga (K Band 24.016 - Detection confirmed on R7 @KiwiClaire )
?? Dark blue Merc - Glenfield (Auckland) (K band ??? - Detection confirmed on R7 @porkchop )

?? White Hyundai - Near Pokeno 24.008 detection confirmed on R7).

Blue Van ??? - Northland. Whangarei (24.037 on R7 philnz)

??? White vw van - Timaru (South Island) (24.025 on r7).
Post automatically merged:

So, today I finally got a refusal letter from NZ Police for my OIA request. They've fobbed it off in a way they are not legally allowed to do. I very clearly set out what was requested, and I only requested the calibration data for each van, and the most recent infringment image for each van and details of the loacation of the infringment.

Apparently that is too much work for them to process. "There would be more than 40,000 batches to check. There would be tens of thousands of documents/images to then copy and collate."

So they are going to explain all this to the Ombudsman. They are also going to have to explain why it took far longer than the 20 working day legal requirement just to do nothing and then refuse the request.
Post automatically merged:

There is some useful information in the letter though. At part 3:

They have stated: "The Mobile Camera Programme is looking to replace all existing 45 mobile cameras. The current timeframe for the replacement of the existing units is aimed to be completed by the end of the calendar year 2021."

So at least we know there are currently a total of 45 mobile units around the country. I probably need to clarify if they are being upgraded or being decommissioned.

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Mithheru updated it for you with your text.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So filed a formal internal complaint about the OIA request, and asked to speak in person, before I refer the case to the Ombudsman. I have just had nice chat with the guy who signed off the letter and an apology from them. They are now going to reprocess parts 1 and 2 of my request. May take a couple more weeks, but I will get what I asked for, including the images, location, calibration data, frequency and licence plate for each camera van.

Really surprised they refused it since only 45 vans, and previously they gave me all the information for all the fixed cameras.

It looks as though they collate the infringement information by site number. Apparently there are about 4500 sites across NZ where the vans are able to use. Perhaps in future I could request all the site info, but I'd rather have a good detector setup for the vans in the right area, rather than relying on gps alerts for all sites when 99% wouldn't be in use all the time. Any thoughts on this point??

Last edited:

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
45 Vans wow. And we only know 16 on here.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
FInally compiled the footage:

Just curious, do those vans scan both sides of the highway? When you were coming at the van, it really didnt go off until you were almost past. Just like it did when you were coming up behind it

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsg99999