Dodgy van K band detection and frequencies in NZ - Observations and developments

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OK, so here's a anti-camera van measure which a group of slightly anarchic but community minded folks could maybe contribute to lol... How about we establish a fund to buy a whole lot of cheap but legal (current wof, reg etc.) people movers/vans (need the height) with and maintain a net work of vehicles which park on known speed camera van locations such a way that they can't be used. The areas a public road verges so I can't see how this could be illegal if the vehicles are road worthy and regularly rotated.... ;)
But, they can park anywhere. For example, on QE2 Drive in Nelson one parked almost completely hidden by roadside trees. Some publicly spirited citizen trimmed that tree, so the van operator just moved down the road a bit.
I believe there's a Facebook page in Auckland about speed traps and EBA checkpoints. But you'd have to be constantly on FB to get a warning. Personally, I'll take a punt on the cams rather than f'wits FB'ing while driving.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They are not allowed to park anywhere, it has to be one of their approved locations. All the approved locations have to be tested and allocated a special code in the Police database. So for our van location in Tawa near Wellington the location code is WL0037. All police images have to identify the corresponding location code.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Went past a dodgy white Hyundai van just south of Paihiatua today... No alert. Visually it looked like "the new" setup

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They are not allowed to park anywhere, it has to be one of their approved locations. All the approved locations have to be tested and allocated a special code in the Police database. So for our van location in Tawa near Wellington the location code is WL0037. All police images have to identify the corresponding location code.
I stand corrected, that means all the tickets written by the Nelson van on QE2 Drive at that time are illegal.
Which raises the question, can these locations be built into a database?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Went past a dodgy white Hyundai van just south of Paihiatua today... No alert. Visually it looked like "the new" setup

I went past the green van again at the weekend and that was detected with nice range on my 137 R7.

I wonder then if they are trialling the new technology rather than rolling it out. Perhaps they keep swapping the camera into different vans to give the operator training on using the new tech, who knows.
Post automatically merged:

I stand corrected, that means all the tickets written by the Nelson van on QE2 Drive at that time are illegal.
Which raises the question, can these locations be built into a database?
If the police could be persuaded to release the information upon request then it could be done. The problem though is you've got about 45 active camera vans, and potentially upwards of 4000 camera locations. That would be more false alerts than I care to think about.

This essentially is the situation in Israel. The laser alert sites are set for those where police are only allowed to use laser. However, the Israeli databases have significantly more laser locations than actual cameras. They also need to release a lot of database updates to try to keep on top of them all. I just don't see this as being a practical solution.

Last edited:

1098SF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My USA-R3 arrived last night. Threw it in the work ute to get used to it have hevent had a chance to play with any off the settings.

Anyway, drove past a grey VW van with the rego ending in 601 at 7:30am this morning. No noise out of the R3. Not to say it wasnt operating under 24.050

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's just like the old analogue fixed cameras, there were many more sites than cameras.

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My USA-R3 arrived last night. Threw it in the work ute to get used to it have hevent had a chance to play with any off the settings.

Anyway, drove past a grey VW van with the rego ending in 601 at 7:30am this morning. No noise out of the R3. Not to say it wasnt operating under 24.050
My r3 hasn't alerted to a mobile camera yet as apparently it is hardware limited but both my r7s do.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
On a related topic. Someone recently bought one of my R7s having seen it on youtube. They only just purchased their R3 NZ in Nov. 2020. Having received their R7 and tried it for a few days, they have sent me their R3 to resell on their behalf. So its currently on the offical R3 NZ 150.213.115 firmware, but I would likely update this to my R3forNZ 155.216.116 spec. So essentially this is a late 2020 R3 NZ and therefore is identical in hardware spec as a US R3. However, it's in excellent condition looks little used and I'm offering this here first to anyone who wants to put in a decent offer. I'm not taking a cut on this so if the sellers happy at your price its sold.

KiwiRad

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Whilst we are on the Subject - I also have a Radar up for grabs. Brand new DFR7 - with full @Mithheru firmware, database and tuned by the man himself. Only spent 4 days in the car before my R7 arrived

LonerTrash

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If the police could be persuaded to release the information upon request then it could be done. The problem though is you've got about 45 active camera vans, and potentially upwards of 4000 camera locations. That would be more false alerts than I care to think about.
I'm pretty sure a mobile camera site is just a pre-approved section of road thats up to 5km long. Approved sites can also be stitched together, so camera vans can sit pretty much anywhere they want.

Heres their 2020 Speed Enforcement policy and if you skip to page 17 they explain it

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They don't stick to the rules though. Perhaps that is why following my OIA request for the van operating here in Tawa, it has never been there again since. This was not on a straight piece of road and was evidently hidden.

6.jpg

Leeky

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
On a related topic. Someone recently bought one of my R7s having seen it on youtube. They only just purchased their R3 NZ in Nov. 2020. Having received their R7 and tried it for a few days, they have sent me their R3 to resell on their behalf. So its currently on the offical R3 NZ 150.213.115 firmware, but I would likely update this to my R3forNZ 155.216.116 spec. So essentially this is a late 2020 R3 NZ and therefore is identical in hardware spec as a US R3. However, it's in excellent condition looks little used and I'm offering this here first to anyone who wants to put in a decent offer. I'm not taking a cut on this so if the sellers happy at your price its sold.
Hey just brought a Dfr7n. What is this firmware you are talking about, do you custom tune
They don't stick to the rules though. Perhaps that is why following my OIA request for the van operating here in Tawa, it has never been there again since. This was not on a straight piece of road and was evidently hidden.

View attachment 176226

hey whats this firmware for a dfr7nz you are running?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's a good point Mittheru. I did the same with a cop operating a Stalker trap too close to a speed limit change. I wrote to the Nelson area Commander and they stopped operating there.
They do push the legal limit when they can.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
On the way home today in the dark, passed a parked vehicle on the opposite side of SH1 with sidelights on in one of the usual places, and assumed it was a dodgy van. Too dark to tell which specific van, but no detection on the R7. I'm hoping someone with that little bit of extra kit installed can work out what is going on.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
On the way home today in the dark, passed a parked vehicle on the opposite side of SH1 with sidelights on in one of the usual places, and assumed it was a dodgy van. Too dark to tell which specific van, but no detection on the R7. I'm hoping someone with that little bit of extra kit installed can work out what is going on.
I went up to Rotorua last week and was running K limits 23.97-24.11 and just before the Waikanae turn off on the expressway I detected a dodgy van at 24.076, so perhaps run limits up to 24.11 around Wellington and see if you have any luck.

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dunedin southern motorway silver vw van 24.037. Confirmed by my wife 20 mins later. I got about 200m range with vertical mount heading away from van and she got about 150m with standard mount.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Came across a dodgy red van on Sunday with no pickup on the R7, looked to be different gear in the back of it. Will try and video when i next see it next

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Same van this morning and this time heading towards war of van and got and easy 500m range with a logging truck in front of me. To say I'm happy with the r7 tuned by @Mithheru would be an under statement.

Deadduck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I have hit the red van in wellington running 24.014 I thought it may of been changed as I passed it in the same place earlier on and got no detection must not of been set up completely i have seen a couple of different ones today but wasn't running radar in the work ute so can't say what they are running but I did notice the blue/green vw had a curtain half across the back window with just the side bit off the camera showing.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49