New 6.8L V8 coming to the Mustang and F150

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A new 6.8L V8 is coming to the Mustang and F150 in a couple years. Very exciting news for me! Can’t wait to see what it’s capable of. Especially since Ford has been able to squeeze 460hp out of 5 liters. This new engine is going to be a torque monster. Reading some of the comments leads me to believe it will be similar to the 7.3 Godzilla engine Ford has.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s amazing to me how Americans keep putting in all this power but you’re still going to have traction problems due to RWD. Hey, it’s fine if you wanna do RWD instead of AWD to put the power down, but how about work on better ECU/TCU combos so it doesn’t try to put it all down in first couple of gears and just light shit up for no good reason. I’ve never understood this... even back the the 90’s when imports were and had the same issues with putting down power. They’re good for highway pulls, that’s about it.

Speaking of ECU/TCU measures, if anyone needed them it would be Mustangs... I wonder how many bystanders all this newfound power will take out when leaving car meets. 🤣

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s amazing to me how Americans keep putting in all this power but you’re still going to have traction problems due to RWD. Hey, it’s fine if you wanna do RWD instead of AWD to put the power down, but how about work on better ECU/TCU combos so it doesn’t try to put it all down in first couple of gears and just light shit up for no good reason. I’ve never understood this... even back the the 90’s when imports were and had the same issues with putting down power. They’re good for highway pulls, that’s about it.

Speaking of ECU/TCU measures, if anyone needed them it would be Mustangs... I wonder how many bystanders all this newfound power will take out when leaving car meets. 🤣
GM's PTM is among the best in the business so you must be a clueless European (I used to be one, so I understand). Ford is actually the only one of the big three that doesn't use pushrod V8 so the Mustang actual does not make a ton of torque, esp down low. The naturally aspirated Mustang are not known for spinning off the line, for that matter, they tend to bog down. But moreover, some us enjoy driving more than bragging about 0-60/0-100 times. It is hard to explain if you haven't driven one, but having all the torgue any gear, any time is quite enjoyable. I also don't know don't know where you are going with the ECU, assuming you mean engine control unit. There isn't an engine with better known, understood, and tuned ECU than the ones in the LS engines.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s amazing to me how Americans ...
From another European - the one amazing typically American thing here is being able to get a 500hp+ new, off the dealer lot, usable and warranteed car that one can actually buy, drive and park in front of an otherwise modest house without having to rob a bank to buy it and rob a stock exchange to insure and pay running costs for.
Beats having to drool over exotics on websites and wonder how Americans do things.

There are things in the US of A that other countries can smirk at. Car availability, car culture and car knowledge ain't one of them.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

You do know the Mustang is coming in an AWD model in 2022, right? Also, how many supercars and hypercars have this much power and more, with RWD?

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
GM's PTM is among the best in the business so you must be a clueless European (I used to be one, so I understand). Ford is actually the only one of the big three that doesn't use pushrod V8 so the Mustang actual does not make a ton of torque, esp down low. The naturally aspirated Mustang are not known for spinning off the line, for that matter, they tend to bog down. But moreover, some us enjoy driving more than bragging about 0-60/0-100 times. It is hard to explain if you haven't driven one, but having all the torgue any gear, any time is quite enjoyable. I also don't know don't know where you are going with the ECU, assuming you mean engine control unit. There isn't an engine with better known, understood, and tuned ECU than the ones in the LS engines.
Now, I know how a nice flat torque curve can be. 450HP and AWD makes for nice driving in all weather conditions, including the rain, where everyone else spins off the line or even from a roll. I’m not at all about 0-60 and actually pick cars and tune them for both handling and high speed, but I have run into some cars that just can’t put the power down and also have issues in the turns and coming out of them because they don’t have the traction. I did SCCA for a long time in the 90’s, so this is nothing new for me... my opinion has not changed.
Post automatically merged:

From another European - the one amazing typically American thing here is being able to get a 500hp+ new, off the dealer lot, usable and warranteed car that one can actually buy, drive and park in front of an otherwise modest house without having to rob a bank to buy it and rob a stock exchange to insure and pay running costs for.
Beats having to drool over exotics on websites and wonder how Americans do things.

There are things in the US of A that other countries can smirk at. Car availability, car culture and car knowledge ain't one of them.
I won’t argue that you can’t (with the right picks) get some nice power for a lot less coin, but weighty and technology in the American muscle car market still isn’t where I think it should be.
Post automatically merged:

You do know the Mustang is coming in an AWD model in 2022, right? Also, how many supercars and hypercars have this much power and more, with RWD?
We’ll see how that AWD is. And I think I covered the high-power RWD cars that actually put the power down right with my OP. That was my point... American manufacturers need to have better electronics to deal with the higher torque and power they plan on putting in these cars or they won’t be as fast or as controllable as they can be.

None of the exotics you see with a shit ton of power run crap logic to put it all down. Some even change the power curves and clutch slip based on type of tire you’re running. I just think domestic builders have always been about light them up and put on a show. Heck, it wasn’t until a few years ago that they finally even entertained the idea of turbos on small displacement engine or fewer cylinder ones. Up until then it was all big V8 or V10 this and that.

And please don’t misunderstand... I’ll equally bust on any other market car that can put it down. I can’t tell you how many times in the past I’ve had friends who built up their turbo imports and just spun it all off the line or couldn’t put it down coming out of turns road racing on the course and that was before we had all the traction crap, but they all wanted the big power bragging rights and would end up losing to lesser power cars that had really good and at the limit setups. So all I’m saying is that, if Ford is developing this engine, develop the chassis and electronics to go with it... the current GT500 isn’t too impressive for what it costs. It can’t put it down well enough.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ford has done it before, and they will do it again.

romclean

MiNdLe$$ $ouL
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m surprised ford would go this route after years of speculation that they would go forced induction.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

It’s all about bench racing

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s all about bench racing
Not sure what you mean by that. I drive an AWD car with plenty of power and the nice part is I can put it all down in the pouring rain too. I don’t have to wait to pull onto a road because traffic is coming and “I might spin”. I turn and take off without issues. Everyone that RWD can’t do shit in situations like that and that’s not even launching. There’s only so much you can do even with the ECU/TCU logic taken into affect for non-AWD vehicles. It is fun all year long for me. 👍

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I drive an AWD car with plenty of power and the nice part is I can put it all down in the pouring rain too. I don’t have to wait to pull onto a road because traffic is coming and “I might spin”. I turn and take off without issues.
I definitely got completely spoiled by the Quattro system in my A5. Future vehicle purchases will almost certainly be AWD. Only possible exception is a C8 Vette, and even that’s more like a daydream than a real, practicable option.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I definitely got completely spoiled by the Quattro system in my A5. Future vehicle purchases will almost certainly be AWD. Only possible exception is a C8 Vette, and even that’s more like a daydream than a real, practicable option.
If you thought that was fun, you should try a mild ratio DP S4 with a rear sport diff. Blast around most anything on the road and when you shut it down it flies under the radar like a normal 4 door sedan.

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't know, the driving satisfaction from a high powered RWD car with less electronic nannies just can't be beat.

I have high powered RWD, FWD, and AWD vehicles and the RWD one is the most fun-Traction control is turned off unless it is raining and the torque management in the tune is all but eliminated.

The compact packaging size of the 7.3L and 6.8L engines compared to the modular motors and coyotes is a welcome change.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
997usa