First Laser alert R7 1.33

cavecreek93

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have had my R7 for almost a year and I have never had a laser alert. I don't encounter laser too often as far I as know. Today was a first and it was so exciting. School was getting out and a motorcycle cop was off his bike partially obscured by a tree and the long line of cars waiting to pick up their kids. The bike was black and his uniform was dark - very stealthy. I wouldn't have seen him except for the fact that the big dummy had his Stalker on and the R7 alerted to that as soon as I turned out of my neighborhood.

I realize this is only a sample size of one but the R7 1.34 does alert to laser lol.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry guys - I meant to say firmware version 1.33

Last edited:

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have had my R7 for almost a year and I have never had a laser alert. I don't encounter laser too often as far I as know. Today was a first and it was so exciting. School was getting out and a motorcycle cop was off his bike partially obscured by a tree and the long line of cars waiting to pick up their kids. The bike was black and his uniform was dark - very stealthy. I wouldn't have seen him except for the fact that the big dummy had his Stalker on and the R7 alerted to that as soon as I turned out of my neighborhood.

I realize this is only a sample size of one but the R7 1.34 does alert to laser lol.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry guys - I meant to say firmware version 1.33
Congrats on finding the Unicorn! Seriously, it's a rarity for most detectors to pick up a laser shot. Uniden has been the brand that's been one of the least likely. But, that's ok, since it's a radar detector. I don't remember my R7 picking up a laser hit, but I understand the newest firmware has tweaked that option a bit.

cavecreek93

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Exactly. I didn't get a good look at what he was using since my attention was on the road and my speed (school zone 15 mph). Kids can be surprisingly quick to jump into traffic. I was hoping to id the laser gun on my way back from the store but he had already "closed up shop".

The local PD also uses those little MRCT boxes at this location every 3 months or so. I need to look at getting a dashcam so that I can record and post these encounters. The more data we have about R7 MRDT alerting behavior the better.

Blindfingers

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had a lidar warning from my R7 some months back. I was traveling in NC and LEO was in the median, below me and shooting uphill. My RD was high on the w/s and due to the angles, I suspect that is why I had the warning.

I'm not real steady aiming a pistol at 25 yards so I'd say that not every LEO has a steady hand when aiming the lidar gun. It may wander a bit while he's targeting you. But as mentioned many times here, it was too late to do anything and fortunately I was at PSL.

davidc502

Avoiding Speeding Tickets
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was driving through Atlanta and was shot by laser whilst I was doing around 90. I immediately slowed up and the cop didn't pursue me for one reason or another. Had he wanted to give me a ticket he could have as I had no early warning to slow down.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I love when LEOs run laser but leave their Ka guns on. I’ve had multiple saves this way. It’s like they’re not even trying!
It depends how they do it. My moto cops use the bike mounted Ka antennas to screen oncoming cars, then they pin point over the limit cars with laser. And they also just leave it on while going from point A to point B.

hotdog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got a ticket a few months back from a laser based local law enforcement without getting any alert yes it cost me a ticket. I would have like to at least seen the detector trigger as he was nabbing me. I know it would have been to late but still give the the alert. I only knew it was laser by reading the ticket afterwards.

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You didn’t ask when he told you your speed? Why wait to read a ticket? I’ve found most LEOs are happy to discuss their equipment and tactics.

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I love when LEOs run laser but leave their Ka guns on. I’ve had multiple saves this way. It’s like they’re not even trying!
They do that a lot here and I don't understand it it's like a dead giveaway and then sure enough you drive down that road and you get hit with laser what do you know

hotdog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why ask how he got me when he was writing the ticket. I was already nailed and he was in a hurry because he wanted to catch another person.

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why ask how he got me when he was writing the ticket. I was already nailed and he was in a hurry because he wanted to catch another person.
I always chat up. On two occasions the LEO has asked me why I know so much, at which point I can name-drop the cops I’m friends with. And I’ve subsequently gotten off. But I agree this courtship has to start immediately, right as you are handing your papers.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh