Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Green Rx3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am in the process of adding a Tx center head (Lime Green, center) so I am re-evaluating the possible positions for my outboard Rx heads. There are 3 candidates. I prefer the lower ones for stealth but want to have good protection

What does the knowledge base recommend for my GTR?
  1. Rx Orange
  2. Rx Blue
  3. Rx Green
I have seen the Radenso build and also TE37s detailed build but wanted to discuss further

Attachments

• GTR Front Head Placement Options.jpg
    GTR Front Head Placement Options.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 24

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Orange all the way, maybe don't have them split so wide apart. 2nd choice would be green I guess. Blue is too wide.
Get it tested with the hardest gun in your area after the install.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
TX location should be OK but if it isn't then directly under the Logo R. As for RX heads, if it were me, I would have them as far out as possible on that lower Gray Line that is below the Orange RX placement. Recent testing has repeatedly shown that wider is better with a TX head as long as no hole for receive is created in the middle. One is looking for two main things in my opinion, first is proper distance of the RX heads away from the TX head so the TX head does not interfere with RX receive while second making sure one has the largest possible receive area without creating a hole in the middle. Reason, the system will not protect one no matter how many heads one has if an inbound signal is not received to trigger the defense. Plus against non-fire breathing Lidar, one can get some additional outside edge protection and even mirror coverage by moving the RX heads out as far as possible without again creating any center receive weakness plus higher is better to again give proper coverage to the headlights and afford some possible mirror coverage. Protecting what would be 10 to 12 inches down into the pavement with low RX head placement, just doesn't make sense. Plus with low RX head placement it could be very well possible that a far edge headlight shot might not even trigger the system.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
TX location should be OK but if it isn't then directly under the Logo R. As for RX heads, if it were me, I would have them as far out as possible on that lower Gray Line that is below the Orange RX placement. Recent testing has repeatedly shown that wider is better with a TX head as long as no hole for receive is created in the middle. One is looking for two main things in my opinion, first is proper distance of the RX heads away from the TX head so the TX head does not interfere with RX receive while second making sure one has the largest possible receive area without creating a hole in the middle. Reason, the system will not protect one no matter how many heads one has if an inbound signal is not received to trigger the defense. Plus against non-fire breathing Lidar, one can get some additional outside edge protection and even mirror coverage by moving the RX heads out as far as possible without again creating any center receive weakness plus higher is better to again give proper coverage to the headlights and afford some possible mirror coverage. Protecting what would be 10 to 12 inches down into the pavement with low RX head placement, just doesn't make sense. Plus with low RX head placement it could be very well possible that a far edge headlight shot might not even trigger the system.

Your points are very well taken, however I do not want to put along the lower line that you mention under the orange, because then a pedestrian or LEO inspecting the vehicle can clearly see them and they aren’t protected. If they are on the upper edge then they are shielded a bit from onlookers

this is the reason I actually like the lower position if it wouldn’t hurt coverage

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Your points are very well taken, however I do not want to put along the lower line that you mention under the orange, because then a pedestrian or LEO inspecting the vehicle can clearly see them and they aren’t protected. If they are on the upper edge then they are shielded a bit from onlookers

this is the reason I actually like the lower position if it wouldn’t hurt coverage
I agree I have all my sensors hanging off lips in the front (even tho they protrude) and it makes them blend in more, especially because you're standing in front looking down. I'm not sure how big the lip under the hood is on a GTR but if you can tuck in like 80% of the sensor they're fairly discrete. Nobody has ever noticed them on my truck or mention them.
The rear sensors are on top of the bumper and they're way more noticable but they also look kinda OEM.

I guess people might pay more attention to a GTR than a non-descript GM truck though.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
You guys are paranoid to say the least, ones LJ heads should be placed at the optimum location to protect one or why bother buying and installing them? Might as well slow down or just pay the tickets. I am fairly sure with a GTR you are not buying ALP so you can safely drive 5 Over! What is one more violation with LJs (other than VA which is not actually a State and parts of Canada)? People see them all the time and don't give them a second thought. Most think they are some type of auto cruise or safe braking system parts. Those that do KNOW what they are probably using them or want them which is why they know what they are.

Had a guy at the QT a couple weeks ago that wanted to know why I need the four backup cameras on the back of my Expedition? He thought it might be an after market "see around/see through" a trailer thing like is advertised on new trucks. Only one of those 4 black bumps in the back is my after market rear backup camera as my vehicle didn't come with one, it came with just the sonic backup warning system.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You guys are paranoid to say the least, ones LJ heads should be placed at the optimum location to protect one or why bother buying and installing them? Might as well slow down or just pay the tickets. I am fairly sure with a GTR you are not buying ALP so you can safely drive 5 Over! What is one more violation with LJs (other than VA which is not actually a State and parts of Canada)? People see them all the time and don't give them a second thought. Most think they are some type of auto cruise or safe braking system parts. Those that do KNOW what they are probably using them or want them which is why they know what they are.

Had a guy at the QT a couple weeks ago that wanted to know why I need the four backup cameras on the back of my Expedition? He thought it might be an after market "see around/see through" a trailer thing like is advertised on new trucks. Only one of those 4 black bumps in the back is my after market rear backup camera as my vehicle didn't come with one, it came with just the sonic backup warning system.

I mean... I'm not that worried about it - my truck didn't have any sensors for parking (no radar/ultrasonic ones) so if anyone asks I bought some shitty ebay parking sensors that don't work the best for parking for a couple hundred bucks. ;)

They're not illegal where I live, I'm really only worried about someone walking up and chopping them off my truck while it's parked tbh.

Paranoid people get perspex to cover their heads.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

I’m not paranoid. Protection > stealth, but all things being equal I will choose the cleaner install. I’m not seeing a huge difference between Orange and Green placement in a 3head system but this is my first install.

Radenso mounted theirs low and they are well respected. In these forums, others have recommended elsewhere so I’m trying to do what’s best

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’m not paranoid. Protection > stealth, but all things being equal I will choose the cleaner install. I’m not seeing a huge difference between Orange and Green placement in a 3head system but this is my first install.

Radenso mounted theirs low and they are well respected. In these forums, others have recommended elsewhere so I’m trying to do what’s best
The best protection will be Orange. See if you can find someone to test with you and you can try with green first and then determine if the performance is adequate for you. You need to find someone with the hardest gun in the areas you drive because they are not all equal. (post a thread when you're ready to test - I'm sure someone will be able to point you towards someone that will be able to help you) If you can test well against the hardest gun you will be 100% against everything else.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The best protection will be Orange. See if you can find someone to test with you and you can try with green first and then determine if the performance is adequate for you. You need to find someone with the hardest gun in the areas you drive because they are not all equal. (post a thread when you're ready to test - I'm sure someone will be able to point you towards someone that will be able to help you) If you can test well against the hardest gun you will be 100% against everything else.
Yeah I agree Testing both would be best, but I am new to this area and will need to find some testing support. Also I will need to find a way to route and hook them up with proper alignment, without having to custom cut at both locations while we are temporarily figure out which is better

my gut feeling says that slight imperfections and temporarily mounting at the different locations could outweigh/mask the actual performance benefits of the dedicated mounting location

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would say just use black sugru, you can mold to shape for alignment and it will be VERY strong once it cures. It's what a lot of people use (incl myself). You definitely do not need to do any cutting on a GTR. For testing, you can just use 3M VHB for a temporary solution because sugru is expensive and kinda a PITA to set and remove, once you have a good location chosen and tested you can switch over to sugru.

This is my advice at least.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. After sugru “cures” is it still removable?
I would say just use black sugru, you can mold to shape for alignment and it will be VERY strong once it cures. It's what a lot of people use (incl myself). You definitely do not need to do any cutting on a GTR. For testing, you can just use 3M VHB for a temporary solution because sugru is expensive and kinda a PITA to set and remove, once you have a good location chosen and tested you can switch over to sugru.

This is my advice at least.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes I've had to remove it a few times. I usually use a plastic interior trim removal tool to get it off and then a microfiber to remove any remaining residue.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy